1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which way will the ball swing?

1. Jul 3, 2006 #1
    Can anyone help me with this?

Assume that you are driving down a staight road at a constant speed. A small ball is tied on the end of a string hanging from the rear view mirror. Which way will the ball swing when you apply the breaks?
    a. forward
    b. backward
    c. it will not swing
    d. it depends how hard you apply the breaks

thank you!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2006 #2
    Think about the individual speeds of the ball and the car. Obviously at, say, a steady speed of 60 km/h, both the car and the ball are travelling at that speed with respect to the road. If the car slows down (braking), what speed will the ball have in relation to it? Higher, lower, the same? Imagine the string isn't there and it's just floating in air, if it helps.

4. Jul 4, 2006 #3
    Hint :Think pseudo forces .

5. Jul 5, 2006 #4
    Think about it in a real context....... if you are in the car, and the brakes are applied, which way does it feel like you are moving?

6. Jul 5, 2006 #5
    Inertia =)

7. Jul 5, 2006 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Quiz question -- what if it is a very light balloon? Why is the motion different from a tennis ball?

8. Jul 5, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It isn't different. A light balloon will do the same thing as a tennis ball.

Unless they meant a bouyant, helium-filled balloon... :devil:

9. Jul 5, 2006 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Except, I got that question wrong on a physics test way back in undergrad. Their explanation at the time had to do with air pressure changes in the car.... You're saying I should have gotten that extra-credit question right? I'm gonna call up my old prof.....:approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?