Which way will the conical object move?

• Thread starter Vibhor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conical
In summary, the discussion revolves around a problem involving cones rolling on rails. The setup is not clear, but it is assumed that the rails are horizontal, not parallel, and the cones roll without slipping. The question is how the cones move as they rotate and what role friction plays in the motion. It is determined that friction is necessary for the system to be stable, as without it, the cones would slip and the system would become unstable. The analysis concludes that the cones will rotate and translate in an anticlockwise direction due to the friction forces acting on them. A simpler way to understand this is to imagine two wheels of different sizes fixed to the same shaft on a frictional floor.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=5933b6e0a49785f1e7a7208568c43c87.png

Homework Equations

v = ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly speaking I have very little idea about the problem . I am not understanding the setup clearly . What role does the rails play while the cones move on them .Are the cones fixed to the rails ? Does the tuning of the object -right or left , means rotation of the object clockwise –anticlockwise or it means shifting of the object as a whole towards left or right as it moves forward ?

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me with the problem .

Many Thanks

Attachments

• object.PNG
    object.PNG
    51.5 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree the question is far from clear. I shall assume the rails are horizontal, that the picture is the plan view ( looking down from above), that the rails are not parallel, that the dashed line is perpendicular to CD, and that the roller rolls without slipping.
Suppose the roller goes straight. After rotating through some angle, consider how far its points of contact have moved.

Likes Vibhor
Hello ,

Thanks for replying.

haruspex said:
I shall assume the rails are horizontal, that the picture is the plan view ( looking down from above), that the rails are not parallel, that the dashed line is perpendicular to CD, and that the roller rolls without slipping.

I agree .

haruspex said:
Suppose the roller goes straight. After rotating through some angle, consider how far its points of contact have moved.

If 'r' is the radius of the cones and angle turned is θ , then the points of contacts have moved by ##rθ## .

Vibhor said:
If 'r' is the radius of the cones and angle turned is θ , then the points of contacts have moved by ##rθ## .
But the radius where the cone touches rail AB is reducing, no?

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:

This is exactly where I am having trouble understanding ( the motion of the cone ) . So you are suggesting that the cones do not touch the floor ,instead they rest on the rails such that the the distance of the point , where the left cone touches the rail AB from mid point O , decreases as the object moves forward ??

haruspex said:

So , now how should I use this fact to proceed further ?

Vibhor said:
So , now how should I use this fact to proceed further ?
How does that affect the forward movement of that cone compared with the other (assuming both cones turn through the same angle, without slipping)?

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
How does that affect the forward movement of that cone compared with the other (assuming both cones turn through the same angle, without slipping)?

The right cone moves faster as compared to left ??

Vibhor said:
The right cone moves faster as compared to left ??
Yes.

Likes Vibhor
Is my understanding in first part of post#5 correct ?

Vibhor said:
Is my understanding in first part of post#5 correct ?
Yes.

Likes Vibhor
Does that mean the object as a whole translates forward and also rotates anticlockwise (as seen from the top) ??

Vibhor said:
Does that mean the object as a whole translates forward and also rotates anticlockwise ??
As viewed from above, yes.

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
As viewed from above, yes.

and this is equivalent to object turning left i.e option (4) is correct ??

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
and this is equivalent to object turning left i.e option (4) is correct ??
Yes.

Likes Vibhor
Fantastic analysis of the problem :bow: .

Thanks a lot haruspex .

Hi ,

I still have some niggling doubts .

What role does friction play in this problem ?

Vibhor said:
Hi ,

I still have some niggling doubts .

What role does friction play in this problem ?
You have to assume some friction or the system would be unstable right from the start. Do you see why? Draw a diagram in the vertical plane. If the double cone were to slide slightly to one side, what would happen to its mass centre... up or down or the same?

Please check this reasoning -

As the left cone moves forward , the radius decreases . As a result vL(speed of CM of left cone) > ωr . There is a tendency to slip forward and static friction acts backward . This increases ω .

Now , in case of right cone vR(speed of CM of left cone) < ωr . There is a tendency to slip backward and static friction acts forward.

The result of the two friction forces is to rotate the system anti - clockwise .

Does it make sense ?

Vibhor said:
Please check this reasoning -

As the left cone moves forward , the radius decreases . As a result vL(speed of CM of left cone) > ωr . There is a tendency to slip forward and static friction acts backward . This increases ω .

Now , in case of right cone vR(speed of CM of left cone) < ωr . There is a tendency to slip backward and static friction acts forward.

The result of the two friction forces is to rotate the system anti - clockwise .

Does it make sense ?
Yes, I believe that works. An equivalent model is two wheels of different sizes fixed to the same shaft (and locked to it) on a frictional floor.

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
Yes, I believe that works.

Ok .

But would you agree that this is essentially the same reasoning we had discussed earlier in the thread ( your proposed way of looking at the problem :smile:) . I mean in the earlier reasoning also , static friction was also involved although we didn't mention it ??

Vibhor said:
Ok .

But would you agree that this is essentially the same reasoning we had discussed earlier in the thread ( your proposed way of looking at the problem :smile:) . I mean in the earlier reasoning also , static friction was also involved although we didn't mention it ??
Oh yes, it's the same reasoning in effect. I thought you were just looking for a simpler way to convey it.

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
An equivalent model is two wheels of different sizes fixed to the same shaft (and locked to it) on a frictional floor.

But we need to assume that the system rolls without slipping ??

Vibhor said:
But we need to assume that the system rolls without slipping ??
Well, not exactly. The trouble is that there has to be some slipping of a sort. Consider my asymmetric wheel model. Both wheels start off pointing N, say, but as they roll the larger wheel goes ahead, dragging the system around to point in a different direction. This means the wheels have slipped enough to change direction. It's like trying to turn a corner in a car without a differential fitted to the axle of the non-steering wheels. It wears out the tyres.

Edit: sorry, I messed up the analogy. I should have written:
It's like trying to turn a corner in a car without toe-in fitted to the steering mechanism. It wears out the tyres.

Likes Vibhor
Ok . But anyways a terrific analogy :smile:

Do you think there can be another way to look at this problem ? Can there be a reasoning based on energy concepts (specifically potential energy considerations ) ?

Vibhor said:
Ok . But anyways a terrific analogy :smile:

Do you think there can be another way to look at this problem ? Can there be a reasoning based on energy concepts (specifically potential energy considerations ) ?
Perhaps, but that looks tough to me. Wouldn't you have to consider the work done against friction under the hypothesis of an arbitrary trajectory?

Ok .

1. What is a conical object?

A conical object is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a pointed apex, resembling a cone.

2. What factors determine the direction of movement for a conical object?

The direction of movement for a conical object is determined by the force acting upon it, the shape and surface of the object, and the surface it is moving on.

3. Will a conical object always move in a straight line?

No, a conical object may move in a curved path depending on the direction and magnitude of the applied force.

4. How does the angle of the object's base affect its movement?

The angle of the base of a conical object can affect its stability and the direction of movement. A wider base provides more stability and may prevent the object from rolling, while a narrower base may cause the object to roll more easily.

5. Can a conical object change direction while moving?

Yes, a conical object can change direction while moving if there are changes in the applied force or if it encounters an obstacle or change in surface. The shape and weight distribution of the object can also affect its ability to change direction.