Determining Dipole Rotation: Clockwise vs Counterclockwise

In summary, the conversation is discussing the behavior and rotation of an electric dipole, specifically in relation to its energy and equilibrium points. The angle between the electric field and dipole moment is important in determining the direction of rotation. The direction of the dipole vector and the net torque also play a role in this behavior. The question of which way the dipole will rotate remains unclear.
nishantve1
This is not a homework question I encountered this while revisiting the Electric Dipoles .
First of all if someone explains me why the dipole
zDSMv.png

So in the image above which way should the dipole rotate ? Anti Clock Wise or Clock Wise .
What My intuition says is the Energy of a dipole is
U = -p.E
Which is -pEcosθ
So the Energy Graph would be
hkmX9.png

So there's a Stable Equilibrium at 0 and unstable equilibrium at ∏

So what I know is that angle is angle made between the E field and the Dipole moment .
What I am not getting is which way is the angle measured ? So if I rotate the dipole moment all the way to bottom will the angle still be same ? Like in the figure ?
zDEPl.png

Also still which way the dipole rotate it seems easier for it rotate counter clockwise . But Will it ?

Physics news on Phys.org

To get the angle, you need to know which way the dipole vector p is directed, and compare that direction with the direction of E.

Alternatively, you could draw force vectors on the (+) and (-) charges, and from that figure out in what direction the net torque is acting.

1. What is dipole rotation?

Dipole rotation is the angular movement of a molecule's electric dipole moment, which is the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule, in response to an external electric field.

2. How can you determine whether dipole rotation is clockwise or counterclockwise?

The direction of dipole rotation can be determined by applying an external electric field to the molecule and observing the direction in which the dipole moment moves. If the dipole moment moves in the same direction as the external field, it is considered clockwise rotation. If it moves in the opposite direction, it is considered counterclockwise rotation.

3. What factors influence the direction of dipole rotation?

The direction of dipole rotation can be influenced by various factors such as the strength and direction of the external electric field, the molecular structure and symmetry, and the presence of other nearby molecules or atoms that may interact with the dipole moment.

4. Why is it important to determine the direction of dipole rotation?

Determining the direction of dipole rotation is important in understanding the behavior of molecules in electric fields. It can also provide valuable information about the molecular structure and properties, and can be used in various applications, such as in the study of molecular dynamics and in the development of new materials.

5. Can dipole rotation change direction?

Yes, dipole rotation can change direction depending on the external electric field and other influencing factors. It can also oscillate back and forth between clockwise and counterclockwise rotation, depending on the strength and direction of the field.