Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Zink ion is blue?

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    I was giving today zinc -tablet to a patient directly to her stomach because she cannot move. The tube which I first used was not clean so it contained some medicine of the last use.

The tube turned light blue like copper ion -blue after I inserted the zinc water to the tube.

I have not managed to figure out what is the ion that causes the color. I will look at her medicine list tomorrow and get some extra pieces of information.

Is there any Zinc -ion which color is blue?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2
    Other possible medicines which were probably in contact with Zinc ions:

- 1 tablett MADOPARK QUICK MITE: Levodop. 50 mg, benserazid. hydrochlorid. 14,25 mg respond. benserazid. 12,5 mg, constit. q. s.
    - Brufen (ibuprofen)
    - Selegilin

I managed to duplicate a similar experiment without Zinc -ions.
    However, the color of the liquid was dark blue, little pink.
    So it is apparent that no zinc -ions in the solution, since I put no zinc tablet.
    The color of light blue was not near the color of the solution which I today got.
    So it is not apparent that the color of the two compounds is caused by the same ion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook