What is the blue Zinc ion in my patient's stomach?

• Thread starter soopo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a patient was given a zinc tablet directly to her stomach due to her inability to move. However, the tube used for administering the tablet was not clean and caused the zinc water to turn light blue, resembling copper ion-blue. The speaker is unsure of the specific ion causing the color and plans to look at the patient's medication list for more information. They also mention other possible medicines that may have been in contact with zinc ions. In a separate experiment without zinc ions, the liquid turned dark blue with a hint of pink, indicating that the color may not be solely caused by zinc ions.
soopo
I was giving today zinc -tablet to a patient directly to her stomach because she cannot move. The tube which I first used was not clean so it contained some medicine of the last use.

The tube turned light blue like copper ion -blue after I inserted the zinc water to the tube.

I have not managed to figure out what is the ion that causes the color. I will look at her medicine list tomorrow and get some extra pieces of information.

Is there any Zinc -ion which color is blue?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Other possible medicines which were probably in contact with Zinc ions:

- 1 tablett MADOPARK QUICK MITE: Levodop. 50 mg, benserazid. hydrochlorid. 14,25 mg respond. benserazid. 12,5 mg, constit. q. s.
- Brufen (ibuprofen)
- Selegilin

I managed to duplicate a similar experiment without Zinc -ions.
However, the color of the liquid was dark blue, little pink.
So it is apparent that no zinc -ions in the solution, since I put no zinc tablet.
The color of light blue was not near the color of the solution which I today got.
So it is not apparent that the color of the two compounds is caused by the same ion.

1. What is the chemical formula for the blue Zink ion?

The chemical formula for the blue Zink ion is Zn2+.

2. What causes the blue color of the Zink ion?

The blue color of the Zink ion is caused by the presence of an unpaired electron in its d orbital, which absorbs light in the red and green wavelengths, resulting in the perception of blue color.

3. Are all Zink ions blue?

No, not all Zink ions are blue. Zink can form different ions with varying numbers of electrons, and the blue color is only present in the Zn2+ ion.

4. Can the blue color of the Zink ion be changed?

Yes, the blue color of the Zink ion can be changed by altering the number of electrons in the ion or adding other substances that can interact with the d orbital electrons and change their energy levels, resulting in a different color.

5. Is the blue Zink ion safe for human consumption?

Yes, the blue Zink ion is safe for human consumption in small amounts. However, consuming large amounts of Zink can be toxic, so it is important to follow recommended daily intake guidelines.