Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

While defrosting the Ice Box

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    I decided to speed things up by scrapping off the ice and I punctured the side of the ice box. I used some silicone filler to seal it. Will it work?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you only break into the insulation - you didn't puncture any coolant pipes?
    Then any waterproof sealant will work although how well it sicks at low temperature varies.
    The adhesive-backed aluminium muffler/exhaust repair tape works well in vacuum cryogenic systems.

4. Nov 22, 2007 #3
    I never saw any pipes, but maybe I went into one. A hissing sound was heard.

What about 'Gun Gum'? It is used for repairing holes in exhausts.

5. Nov 23, 2007 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Hissing sound" was the coolant leaking out of the hole in one of the small pipes mqb is talking about.

The coolant circulates under some pressure. I don't know of a good fix because low temperatures degrade the sticking power of a lot of sealants. Somebody with special knowledge in the area may be able to help.

If there is a sealant that will work, you will need to recharge the coolant.

6. Nov 24, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, McHeathen.
    The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, and I also sought advice here. It was not forthcoming, despite the best intentions of my friends in PF. If you perforated a coolant line, then your unit is toast. I looked into everything from bubble gum through JB Weld and silver-soldering to brazing. The closest thing to a solution that I could find was designed for automotive A/C units, and is totally non-applicable to the aluminum tubes found in a household device. You can buy a new fridge for a lot less than it would cost you to have yours rebuilt by a professional.
    Sorry.

7. Nov 24, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you bust a tube tough!
    Even if you could repair the hole. You would have to flush out any water/air/crud that got in the pipes, then you have to get it refilled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?