While defrosting the Ice Box

• Thread starter McHeathen
  • Start date
I decided to speed things up by scrapping off the ice and I punctured the side of the ice box. I used some silicone filler to seal it. Will it work?

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Did you only break into the insulation - you didn't puncture any coolant pipes?
Then any waterproof sealant will work although how well it sicks at low temperature varies.
The adhesive-backed aluminium muffler/exhaust repair tape works well in vacuum cryogenic systems.

Did you only break into the insulation - you didn't puncture any coolant pipes?

I never saw any pipes, but maybe I went into one. A hissing sound was heard.

The adhesive-backed aluminium muffler/exhaust repair tape works well in vacuum cryogenic systems.

What about 'Gun Gum'? It is used for repairing holes in exhausts.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
"Hissing sound" was the coolant leaking out of the hole in one of the small pipes mqb is talking about.

The coolant circulates under some pressure. I don't know of a good fix because low temperatures degrade the sticking power of a lot of sealants. Somebody with special knowledge in the area may be able to help.

If there is a sealant that will work, you will need to recharge the coolant.

Danger
Gold Member
Hi, McHeathen.
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, and I also sought advice here. It was not forthcoming, despite the best intentions of my friends in PF. If you perforated a coolant line, then your unit is toast. I looked into everything from bubble gum through JB Weld and silver-soldering to brazing. The closest thing to a solution that I could find was designed for automotive A/C units, and is totally non-applicable to the aluminum tubes found in a household device. You can buy a new fridge for a lot less than it would cost you to have yours rebuilt by a professional.
Sorry.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you bust a tube tough!
Even if you could repair the hole. You would have to flush out any water/air/crud that got in the pipes, then you have to get it refilled.