Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whip it out boys- time to see who's the biggest

1. Jun 28, 2003 #1
    I'm talking of course about IQ:wink: Get your mind out of the gutter!

I don't know if anyone's willing to post on this but it's 5am, so what the heck. I know this board is chock-full of super intelligent people. I'm sure many of you don't even know what yours is, but for those who do and are confident enough to post, if this gets any attention I'll change the topic and make it a survey type of post.
    C'mon you geniuses, whip it out! (no I know I'm not going to be near the top, but I'm just curious) So lets see if anyone responds....
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i think IQ tests and measurements are full of crap...it's a test created by another's definition of intelligence...i think intelligence comes in many forms other then book smarts, including compassion, artistic ability, athletic ability, musical ability, etc...
  4. Jun 28, 2003 #3
    I agree with Kerrie168 ,IQ tests mean nothing at all168 . If people would worry less about them168 , they would likely be much happier.168
  5. Jun 28, 2003 #4
    Hehe.. It was 5 am and I was just bored and looking for a topic *shrug* the people have spoken.
  6. Jun 28, 2003 #5

I agree that IQ tests are not the true measure of ones intellengence but psychologists believe so and so do we socially. Theses tests are a good tool of measuring how much knowledge you retain so you could be super smart in learning a subject but if you dump it well does this say your stupid. I think not! Anyways... I took one right out of high school and back then its was 109 but since then I have like others advanced in school and my career. With advancement ie. reading; you should never stop learning and keep practiceing so you get more knowledge. Anyway, I think if your smart enough to visit this website and ask questions your smarter tham most who just sit at home and do nothing which is what i do and thats cool.
    Dx :wink:
  7. Jun 28, 2003 #6
    It's a good topic though. Aside from the fact that intelligence isn't limited to academic expressions of maths and English I'm also under the impression that IQ tests are quite variable.

I think I did one once - but it was mainly a general knowledge test. How does that test overall intelligence?? No idea what the result was, btw.

I once sent for some information from MENSA - supposedly an organisation for intelligent people. All they sent me was a exam for 12-year olds, with a demand for £10 for sending it - and then asking for £30 to actually rate my IQ properly after doing the kiddie test. I didn't exactly think much of MENSA after that - they'd obviously already rated me as an idiot with money!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2003
  8. Jun 28, 2003 #7
    I once believed IQ scores were an accurate reflection of one's inteliigence... then I read the work of Marilyn vos Savant (Parade Magazine).

9. Jun 28, 2003 #8
    Actually mensa will accept previous stadardize tests that are taken under testing condiions, some of them were given in school. And that's free of course.

I agree that IQ tests such as WAIS are not always an accurate and true representation of intelligence. Of course that wasn't the intent of my post, but if you guys want to debate it, fee free so at least this post doesn't go to waste.
  10. Jun 28, 2003 #9
    She is sort of a moron, isn;t she?
  11. Jun 28, 2003 #10

I read her too. She's got great articles. Anyways...I know people that belong to MENSA its like any other organization that offers amenities for joining there club. I just don't believe in those IQ tests anymore but they are fun and challenging to take.
  12. Jun 28, 2003 #11
    ure all just sour cus u aint ast intellegeny as u thouytght u weree, nad i nkow i am:wink:
  13. Jun 29, 2003 #12
  14. Jun 29, 2003 #13
    Thanks, Zantra...I KNEW she was dumb, but it is nice to see someone collected proof!
  15. Jun 30, 2003 #14
    hey zero if the little grey numbers in your first post are your IQ then thats pretty good mine is = (your IQ - 50) + (6/2)

16. Jun 30, 2003 #15
    Alright Zero, you definitely topped my score. My most recent I.Q. tests (I took two last week) gave me 152 and 154 respectively.
  17. Jun 30, 2003 #16
    What standard deviations are all of these quoted IQs?
    Sometimes a s.d. of 16 is applied to the bell curve and sometimes s.d. = 24
  18. Jun 30, 2003 #17
    Ok I was hesitant to post mine before. Now I'm amazed I can even converse with you braniacs! Quick, someone post a lower score to boost my ego back up! lol. Or should I say duh tob thee grog nhag tak! Ugh, ugh!I supposed since I started this I should list my IQ. I did take a test last week, but I ALSO feel142 that IQ tests truly142 can't be an accurate measure142 either.

Maybe we should just be content with who we are142 - see I'm not a moron and not lower ourselves to labels that society would impose upon us,in fact I'm damn proud don't you think?
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  19. Jun 30, 2003 #18
    Now that doesn't surprise me.
  20. Jul 1, 2003 #19
    I tested fairly low (110) compared to you guys on those things, but I was always sick when I took the tests (I had terrible allergies growing up and the medications thirty years ago put you to sleep). But my parents believed I was more intelligent then I tested, so they took me to a psycologist who tested my creativity, reasoning capability, etc. He told them that I was brilliant, almost a genius. I also scored in the top 3% for the nation in the Armed Service Aptitude test for electronics (and I had never studied electronics).

So much for IQ tests.
  21. Jul 1, 2003 #20

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Well, the first IQ test I did, was something I found online. I did it in like 10 minutes, and then it told me my IQ was 150+, and now all I need to do is send them my credit card number, and they can send me out the real one to make sure!

I was at least smart enough to not go any further...

The next one I did would have been another online one...through emode or something like that. I think they gave me 136.

I also did one which was an Australia Wide IQ Test event thingy... From that, I think i got 132???

Anyway, as you can tell, all my IQ tests have been pretend ones, and mean even less than the dodgy "real" ones...

But I am confident that I am above the 'average'... but i don't need an IQ test to tell me that. I figured that out when I was let into a 'selective high school'...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?