1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whirling Ball

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boy whirls a ball on a string in a horizontal circle of radius 1.0 m. How many revolutions per minute must the ball make if its acceleration towards the center of the circle is to have the same magnitude as the acceleration due to gravity?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

9.8/1= v^2
    v= 3.13

f= 4.92
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi Kajayacht,

This gives the right answer for v (since R=1), but of course from your equation above it needs to be v^2 = a R ( not divided by R).

I think you probably have some calculator problems here. The numerator is about 3, and the denominator is about 6, so your answer should be around 1/2.

It looks like you calculated 3.13 / 2 * pi. If you type it in like that without parenthesis around the 2pi it multiplies by pi instead of dividing by pi. (So you might try entering 3.13/(2pi), for example.)

Also, you forgot to list your units for f. What are they?
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    Ahh wow yes of course
    well now I got .498 rev/min but it's still saying that I'm wrong

it also says "Consider the acceleration due to circular motion."
  5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

They are asking for the frequency in rev/min, but I don't think you yet have those units. What units is the answer 0.498 in? (Look back at the quantities you put into the problem, and see which one has a time unit with it.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?