Whiteboards vs. Blackboards: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter Monster92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: Somehow I always performed better in exams on a blackboard than in exams on paper. Not sure why that is...I think that it has to do with the fact that you can't erase mistakes, whereas on a whiteboard you can.
Monster92
Just wondering how many people actually have a large white board that they use on a regular basis. Whenever I see a physics doc I always see famous scientists doing equations on blackboards. Blackboards are out dated, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aaah, I love blackboards! Nothing is better to focus your ideas than writing them on a blackboard and explaining them to yourself! (maybe even out loud if nobody is listening).

Sadly, I only have a whiteboard in my office. Somehow, I like that less...

I like blackboards as well. They're a lot more expensive if I'm not mistaken.

There's pros and cons to each. I surely wouldn't want a blackboard in my room considering the dust, but at the same time chalk never dries out and you don't have to go out and get ripped off on markers. There's a lot more pros and cons but I'm too lazy to write them out.

You do have dustfree chalk nowadays...

Somehow I always performed better in exams on a blackboard than in exams on paper. Not sure why that is...

micromass said:

Somehow I always performed better in exams on a blackboard than in exams on paper. Not sure why that is...

How do you do an exam on a blackboard? :confused:

fish use penguins :biggrin:

(in exams: only on one side)

I spray painted a wall in the garage with black board paint, used to use it but it gotpainted over last year

I love whiteboards.

pdffile said:
Just wondering how many people actually have a large white board that they use on a regular basis. Whenever I see a physics doc I always see famous scientists doing equations on blackboards. Blackboards are out dated, correct?
I wish :wink: A lot of people still like blackboards. I'm not one of them; I much prefer whiteboards. I have a couple in my apartment that I use regularly.

Apparently in the public eye, blackboards are much more associated with academia (specifically: math and hard sciences) than whiteboards are.

Pengwuino said:
How do you do an exam on a blackboard? :confused:

The prof givves you an exercise that you have to solve on the blackboard while he's staring at what you write... :smile:

micromass said:
The prof givves you an exercise that you have to solve on the blackboard while he's staring at what you write... :smile:

Talk about one on one attention.

I have a rather small whiteboard at my computer desk, but I often use the whiteboard in the physics lounge at my school. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE blackboards, though. If I were forced to use a blackboard on a daily basis, I'd have to buy gloves. I can't stand how chalk feels on my fingers.

micromass said:

This isn't for undergrad exams, is it? I know that someone I work with took his quals in grad school like this. What type of exam was it for you?

DR13 said:
This isn't for undergrad exams, is it? I know that someone I work with took his quals in grad school like this. What type of exam was it for you?

This was at so at most undergrad exams. I took topology, analysis, abstract algebra,... like this. You get used to it in the end...

pdffile said:

By whiteboard do you mean an electronic one--a "Smartboard?" Or a dry erase? I've had all three type: black, white, smart. But I prefer an overhead projector often times. The smartboard is nice for graphing and showing videos that you can write on though.

micromass said:

:rolleyes: Dust free my @$$--it STILL gets everywhere! I don't care what the package says. I buy dust free all of the time, and still always end up wearing it.

What is the main difference between whiteboards and blackboards?

The main difference between whiteboards and blackboards is the surface they are made of. Whiteboards are made of a smooth, non-porous material such as porcelain or melamine, while blackboards are made of a rough, porous material like slate or wood.

Which one is better for writing and erasing frequently?

Whiteboards are better for writing and erasing frequently. They have a smoother surface which makes it easier to erase without leaving behind any residue or ghosting. Blackboards, on the other hand, require more effort to erase and may leave behind chalk dust.

Are there any differences in the writing tools used for whiteboards and blackboards?

Yes, there are differences in the writing tools used for whiteboards and blackboards. Whiteboards use markers, which are typically filled with dry erase ink and have a felt or fiber tip, while blackboards use chalk, which is a soft, powdery substance made of limestone or gypsum.

Do whiteboards and blackboards have different maintenance requirements?

Yes, whiteboards and blackboards have different maintenance requirements. Whiteboards need to be cleaned regularly with a dry erase cleaner to avoid staining and ghosting. Blackboards need to be wiped down with a damp cloth and reconditioned with chalkboard conditioner to prevent the chalk from becoming embedded in the surface.

Which one is more commonly used in modern classrooms and why?

Whiteboards are more commonly used in modern classrooms. This is because they are more durable, easier to clean, and allow for more vibrant colors compared to traditional blackboards. Whiteboards also have the added advantage of being able to project images or videos onto them, making them more versatile for teaching purposes.