Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

White Castle

1. May 31, 2006 #1

dav2008

Gold Member

Who here is a fan? It seems to be a very polarizing fast food chain. Either you love it or you hate it.

Once in a while I'd eat the frozen ones they sell at grocery stores, but the other day I finally decided to drive the 12 miles to the nearest White Castle and try out the real thing. I have to say besides the pickle they put on there and the prize there isn't really a difference between the frozen and the fresh. Maybe the only thing is that the bun isn't dry or really soggy like it sometimes comes out when you microwave the frozen burgers.

I stick to the cheeseburgers.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that a good or bad thing in your opinion? I can't stomach White Castle at all, though, I guess if one ever found themself constipated with no pharmacy open, a White Castle burger would be as good as Ex-Lax. :yuck:

4. May 31, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

You know I don't know. I guess I expected the ones from the restaurant to taste...fresher? I haven't had any frozen ones in months though so I my memory might be a bit off when comparing the two. I'll have to do a thorough analysis next time I go :tongue2:

5. May 31, 2006 #4
    Its length looks lesser than the one of my thumb. How much did you pay for this little....? 4.99? :biggrin:

6. May 31, 2006 #5

dav2008

Gold Member

:rofl: Well yes if you're not familiar with White Castle, the burgers are about 2"x2" and if I remember correctly the hamburgers cost 69 cents while the cheeseburgers cost 79 cents. Don't quote me on that though. Maybe it's 59 and 69.

According to their website each cheeseburger has 160 calories (80 from fat), and 20 mg of cholesterol.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  7. May 31, 2006 #6
    For fast food, which i eat maybe once a year, I thought that the food was good. Also, Harold and Kumar's "White Castle" is one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen.

8. May 31, 2006 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I've never heard of white castle untill that Harold and Kumar movie

9. May 31, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure they were the inspiration for Wendy's old "Where's the Beef" commercials. :rofl:

Geez, I remember when a McDonald's burger was that price, and White Castle was only about 25 cents for a burger. The only appeal that I recall was that you could usually buy one with the change you found stuck in the seat cushions of the car when it was late night and you were hungry.

They used to be more popular when I was younger, but I had actually thought the chain went out of business until I moved to the midwest. They still seem to be thriving there. You very rarely find one along the east coast anymore, and I guess you don't find them in AZ either. The midwest might be the only place you really find them anymore.

10. May 31, 2006 #9

dav2008

Gold Member

11. May 31, 2006 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

SLIDERS!

I used to love 'em. When my kids were small we all used to go to the local White Castle, buy a big bag and then go on to the zoo, where we would sit on the lawn and consume them.

We tried the frozen ones too, and it's just not the same. We didn't have the facilities for steamig, is what I think it was.

And sure, many people hate 'em. So what? Who'm I out to please? Myself or some picky stranger?

Haven't had one in years. I've moved on to other vices.

12. May 31, 2006 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I love the movie!!!

Alas, I can never go to White Castle - being a vegetarian and all.

13. May 31, 2006 #12
    I just had my first trip to White Castle the other night and we ordered a 30-pack along with two of my little cousins. It was pretty good but the onion rings would have to be one of the best onion rings I've had.

14. Jun 1, 2006 #13

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Boy, that brings back memories. White Castle mini-Burgers, Casper Hot Dogs, something else I forget (getting old). Funny, I think the first White Castle burgers I had as a kid were maybe in Alabama? First Casper Hot Dogs were definitely in the SF/Oakland stomps of my dad...

15. Jun 1, 2006 #14

Mk

I think I saw on tv that sliders have about one ounce of beef in them, with the rest being onions and oil.

16. Jun 1, 2006 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'm sorry I gotta sneak this in.. Wendy's chili is the bomb diggity!!

*takes off shirt and runs out naked*

JERONIMOOOOO

17. Jun 1, 2006 #16

Mk

You got that right, everytime I go to Wendy's I buy a classic single meal with two large chilis to take home and put in the refrigerator.

18. Jun 1, 2006 #17

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At times, White Castles are what I crave :tongue2: ...
    For the past few years, when there was no White Castles for many many (i.e. 700) miles, I had to settle for a Krystal burger instead. (That distant location, however, was a scheduled stop when I drove through that area on my way north.)

Some interesting reading
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)
    "White Castle is the oldest American hamburger fast-food restaurant chain....

...for the popularization of the hamburger. For example, to counter charges that burgers were not healthy, Ingram paid several young men to dress as doctors and eat White Castle hamburgers, the idea being that if doctors ate it, it had to be healthy. This same logic led Ingram to fund a study in which a medical student went on a ten-week diet of nothing but White Castles and water. The experiment, though dubious, yielded results and increased legitimacy for the hamburger in general and White Castle in particular."

(What I crave even more sometimes is Harold's Chicken Shack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold's_Chicken_Shack , which I had [delivered by car] a few days ago.)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  19. Jun 1, 2006 #18

J77

Microwavable burgers! :rofl: :tongue:

20. Nov 6, 2009 #19
    When I opened this thread I thought Cheeeburger...Cheesburger ! Cheesseburger!!!
    I thought of John Belushi yelling it~ so...hehe Thanks for tha memories!
    But I would like to introduce you to my rudeness or irreverance and say most of all

"WHY ARE SMART PEOPLE So DUMB about FOOD!!!"

AND introduce you to my friend who will introduce you to some healthy eating styles

http://www.myspace.com/empressmoonsound

I dont expect you to become a vegetarian or vegan....heehee, even i left that behind long ago... just remember that we humans have (a myriad of) choices for optimum (enjoyment of) living.

AND Please don't take offense~ Im just being bad...for fun.
    HaPpY DaY
    ;~})

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  21. Nov 6, 2009 #20
    Do you just look for the oldest threads possible? You're up to at least 3 necro-posts now... is this some kind of fetish?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?