White Castle: Love It or Hate It?

• Thread starter dav2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, many people love White Castle while others hate it. The burgers are about the same either way, and the chain is doing well in the midwest.
dav2008
Gold Member
Who here is a fan? It seems to be a very polarizing fast food chain. Either you love it or you hate it.

Once in a while I'd eat the frozen ones they sell at grocery stores, but the other day I finally decided to drive the 12 miles to the nearest White Castle and try out the real thing. I have to say besides the pickle they put on there and the prize there isn't really a difference between the frozen and the fresh. Maybe the only thing is that the bun isn't dry or really soggy like it sometimes comes out when you microwave the frozen burgers.

I stick to the cheeseburgers.

http://www.whitecastle.com/_assets/images/food/menu/cheeseburger_lg.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dav2008 said:
there isn't really a difference between the frozen and the fresh.
Is that a good or bad thing in your opinion? I can't stomach White Castle at all, though, I guess if one ever found themself constipated with no pharmacy open, a White Castle burger would be as good as Ex-Lax. :yuck:

Moonbear said:
Is that a good or bad thing in your opinion? I can't stomach White Castle at all, though, I guess if one ever found themself constipated with no pharmacy open, a White Castle burger would be as good as Ex-Lax. :yuck:
You know I don't know. I guess I expected the ones from the restaurant to taste...fresher? I haven't had any frozen ones in months though so I my memory might be a bit off when comparing the two. I'll have to do a thorough analysis next time I go :tongue2:

dav2008 said:
http://www.whitecastle.com/_assets/images/food/menu/cheeseburger_lg.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

Its length looks lesser than the one of my thumb. How much did you pay for this little...? 4.99? :biggrin:

heartless said:
Its length looks lesser than the one of my thumb. How much did you pay for this little...? 4.99? :biggrin:
:rofl: Well yes if you're not familiar with White Castle, the burgers are about 2"x2" and if I remember correctly the hamburgers cost 69 cents while the cheeseburgers cost 79 cents. Don't quote me on that though. Maybe it's 59 and 69.

According to their website each cheeseburger has 160 calories (80 from fat), and 20 mg of cholesterol.

Last edited:
For fast food, which i eat maybe once a year, I thought that the food was good. Also, Harold and Kumar's "White Castle" is one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen.

I've never heard of white castle until that Harold and Kumar movie

dav2008 said:
:rofl: Well yes if you're not familiar with White Castle, the burgers are about 2"x2"
I'm sure they were the inspiration for Wendy's old "Where's the Beef" commercials. :rofl:

and if I remember correctly the hamburgers cost 69 cents while the cheeseburgers cost 79 cents. Don't quote me on that though. Maybe it's 59 and 69.
Geez, I remember when a McDonald's burger was that price, and White Castle was only about 25 cents for a burger. The only appeal that I recall was that you could usually buy one with the change you found stuck in the seat cushions of the car when it was late night and you were hungry.

yomamma said:
I've never heard of white castle until that Harold and Kumar movie
They used to be more popular when I was younger, but I had actually thought the chain went out of business until I moved to the midwest. They still seem to be thriving there. You very rarely find one along the east coast anymore, and I guess you don't find them in AZ either. The midwest might be the only place you really find them anymore.

I did some research and turns out they're actually 2.5"x2.5".

They have a video of them being made in some competition or something: http://www.whitecastle.com/_assets/Multimedia/slyder/secret_pop.swf [Broken]

SLIDERS!

I used to love 'em. When my kids were small we all used to go to the local White Castle, buy a big bag and then go on to the zoo, where we would sit on the lawn and consume them.

We tried the frozen ones too, and it's just not the same. We didn't have the facilities for steamig, is what I think it was.

And sure, many people hate 'em. So what? Who'm I out to please? Myself or some picky stranger?

Haven't had one in years. I've moved on to other vices.

I love the movie!

Alas, I can never go to White Castle - being a vegetarian and all.

I just had my first trip to White Castle the other night and we ordered a 30-pack along with two of my little cousins. It was pretty good but the onion rings would have to be one of the best onion rings I've had.

Boy, that brings back memories. White Castle mini-Burgers, Casper Hot Dogs, something else I forget (getting old). Funny, I think the first White Castle burgers I had as a kid were maybe in Alabama? First Casper Hot Dogs were definitely in the SF/Oakland stomps of my dad...

I'm sure they were the inspiration for Wendy's old "Where's the Beef" commercials.
I think I saw on tv that sliders have about one ounce of beef in them, with the rest being onions and oil.

I'm sorry I got to sneak this in.. Wendy's chili is the bomb diggity!

*takes off shirt and runs out naked*

JERONIMOOOOO

Wendy's chili is the bomb diggity!
You got that right, everytime I go to Wendy's I buy a classic single meal with two large chilis to take home and put in the refrigerator.

At times, White Castles are what I crave :tongue2: ...
For the past few years, when there was no White Castles for many many (i.e. 700) miles, I had to settle for a Krystal burger instead. (That distant location, however, was a scheduled stop when I drove through that area on my way north.)

Some interesting reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant [Broken])
"White Castle is the oldest American hamburger fast-food restaurant chain...

...for the popularization of the hamburger. For example, to counter charges that burgers were not healthy, Ingram paid several young men to dress as doctors and eat White Castle hamburgers, the idea being that if doctors ate it, it had to be healthy. This same logic led Ingram to fund a study in which a medical student went on a ten-week diet of nothing but White Castles and water. The experiment, though dubious, yielded results and increased legitimacy for the hamburger in general and White Castle in particular."

(What I crave even more sometimes is Harold's Chicken Shack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold's_Chicken_Shack , which I had [delivered by car] a few days ago.)

Microwavable burgers! :rofl: :tongue:

When I opened this thread I thought Cheeeburger...Cheesburger ! Cheesseburger!
I thought of John Belushi yelling it~ so...hehe Thanks for tha memories!
But I would like to introduce you to my rudeness or irreverance and say most of all

"WHY ARE SMART PEOPLE So DUMB about FOOD!"

AND introduce you to my friend who will introduce you to some healthy eating styles

http://www.myspace.com/empressmoonsound

I don't expect you to become a vegetarian or vegan...heehee, even i left that behind long ago... just remember that we humans have (a myriad of) choices for optimum (enjoyment of) living.

AND Please don't take offense~ I am just being bad...for fun.
HaPpY DaY
;~})

Last edited:
Do you just look for the oldest threads possible? You're up to at least 3 necro-posts now... is this some kind of fetish?

hmmm
I am just looking at topics and replying...i probably found this in some awkward way though...I can be very awkward.
Fetishes, I only have a hippy era one I think.
I want the late sixties early seventies back, they were so hopeful, and damn fun.

heehee

Oh~ i dig yer name SaladSamurai
i have a thing for foreigners also...

1. Why is White Castle so polarizing among people?

Many people either love or hate White Castle because of its unique taste and smell. Some find the small, steamed burgers with onions and pickles to be delicious and crave-worthy, while others may dislike the greasiness or the strong onion flavor. Additionally, White Castle has a distinct and recognizable brand that may also contribute to its polarizing reputation.

2. What makes White Castle burgers different from other fast food burgers?

White Castle burgers are unique in that they are steamed instead of grilled or fried. This gives the burgers a softer, more tender texture. Additionally, the burgers are small and thin, making them easier to eat and often more affordable. The toppings of onions and pickles are also distinctive and add to the overall flavor profile.

3. Are White Castle burgers unhealthy?

Like most fast food options, White Castle burgers are not considered to be the healthiest choice. They are high in calories, fat, and sodium. However, they can be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. White Castle also offers some healthier options, such as salads and veggie sliders, for those looking for lighter options.

4. Why is White Castle a popular late-night food option?

White Castle's small burgers and affordable prices make it a popular choice for late-night cravings. Additionally, the company has a history of staying open 24 hours, making it a convenient option for those looking for a quick and satisfying meal during the late-night hours.

5. How has White Castle evolved over the years?

White Castle has been in operation for over 100 years and has gone through many changes and improvements. In addition to expanding to over 375 locations in 13 states, the company has introduced new menu items such as chicken rings and plant-based sliders. White Castle has also embraced technology, offering online ordering and delivery services to meet the demands of modern consumers.