Solving the Mystery of White Crusty Substance After H2O2 Use

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of concentrating hydrogen peroxide from a diluted 3% concentration and the resulting white, crusty substance that forms when it is applied to different surfaces. The substance is believed to be an oxide or a combination of oxides, and the conversation also touches on the danger of working with concentrated hydrogen peroxide. The original solution did not form this substance, and the individual is looking for help in determining the percentage of hydrogen peroxide in their solution. However, the conversation is ultimately locked and the individual is advised against continuing their experiment due to safety concerns.
Theoden
Gold Member
Hi,

I have just concentrated some H2O2 from a diluted 3% concentration. I used it on a copper scrubbing pad earlier to test how well it would oxidize; but now there is a white, crusty substance where the H2O2 used to be. I then tested it on different surfaces, but every time it dries I get the same white crust. What is this substance? The original solution did not form it. And is there any way to test the percentage of hydrogen peroxide from my solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It would be an oxide or a combination of oxides depending on the exact composition of the material which you applied the H2O2 on to.
The 'extra' oxygen will react with almost anything, even metallic impurities present in glass.

Likes Theoden
Theoden said:
I have just concentrated some H2O2 from a diluted 3% concentration.

You are again trying to do dangerous things you have no idea abut?

Thanks!

Borek said:
You are again trying to do dangerous things you have no idea abut?
Nope. I am trying to find out what the white crust is; and how to know what percentage of hydrogen peroxide my solution has.

Concentrating H2O2 is dangerous. Apparently you din't know even that.

Topic locked. Sorry, we won't help you hurt yourself.

1. What causes the white crusty substance after using H2O2?

The white crusty substance is caused by the reaction between hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and the minerals in the water. This reaction forms calcium carbonate, which is the white crusty substance that appears after using H2O2.

2. Is the white crusty substance harmful?

No, the white crusty substance is not harmful. It is simply a byproduct of the reaction between H2O2 and water minerals and poses no health hazards.

3. Can the white crusty substance be removed?

Yes, the white crusty substance can be easily removed by wiping it with a damp cloth or using a mild cleaning solution. It is important to regularly clean and remove the residue to prevent build-up and potential damage to surfaces.

4. How can the white crusty substance be prevented?

To prevent the formation of the white crusty substance, you can use distilled or purified water instead of tap water when using H2O2. This will eliminate the minerals that react with H2O2 and cause the white residue.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to the formation of the white crusty substance?

Aside from the minerals in water, other factors that can contribute to the formation of the white crusty substance include the concentration and temperature of the H2O2 solution, as well as the surface material being treated. It is important to follow recommended dilution ratios and safety precautions when using H2O2 to minimize the formation of the white residue.