1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

White dwarf accretion

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Let's say we have a white dwarf accreting material from a giant partner. How long would it typically take for the white dwarf to go supernova? Is it of the order of a thousand years? A million? Any references would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    San

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2
    Townsley and Bildsten (2003) (http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/astro-ph/0309208) find accretion rates for cataclysmic variables 10^(-11) - 10^(-8) Msun/yr, but I am sure you can find more papers on this (I just did a very short search), and different values depending on the assumptions.

A very rough estimate: the Chandrasekhar limit of 1.38 solar masses could be reached in approximately 3.8 10^7 - 3.8 10^10 years, assuming that you start with a white dwarf of 1 solar mass and accrete at the above rate.

There is a lot of work going on on this subject and the mechanism of type Ia supernovae is still not well understood. I think you would find the existing literature very interesting.

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    Out of general interest, do you have any idea what the accretion rate is for a neutron star in a binary system?

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4
    I don't have a number to give you on neutron stars, but here is a simple way to calculate an accretion rate:
    A rough theoretical estimate for the accretion rate on a disk is given by the luminosity of the disk:

L{disk} = G M M{dot} / 2R

where L{disk} the disk luminosity, M{dot} the mass accretion rate and M and R the mass and radius of the accreting object (you find a derivation in 'An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics' by Carroll and Ostlie).

The maximum luminosity an object can have and still stay in hydrostatic equilibrium is given by the Eddington limit:

L{max} / L_sun = 3.8 10^4 (M/M_sun)

Substituting the Eddington limit in the first equation can give you an estimate of the highest possible accretion rate.

I hope this helped! People more relevant to the field could post answers based on current research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?