White dwarf mass-radius relation

In summary, the numerical constant C for an electron gas with Z = 6 and A = 12 is 31.57. Using this constant, the radius of a white dwarf with a mass of 0.6 solar masses is calculated to be 107.98m. However, there may be an error in the calculation due to not taking into account units properly. It is important to work with units in order to spot and avoid prefactors.
Catria

Homework Statement

Compute the numerical constant C for an electron gas (take Z = 6 and A = 12) and determine the radius of a white dwarf whose mass is 0.6 solar masses.

[itex]h\ =\ 6.62606876(52)\ \times\ 10^{-34}\ Jh\ =\ 6.62606876(52)\ \times\ 10^{-34}\ J\ s\ s[/itex]

[itex]m_{e}\ =\ 9.10938188(72)\ \times\ 10^{-31}\ kg[/itex]

[itex]G\ =\ 6.673(10)\ \times\ 10^{-11}G\ =\ 6.673(10)\ \times\ 10^{-11}\ m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}\ m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}[/itex]

Mass of the white dwarf: [itex]\ 1.2 \times\ 10^{30}kg[/itex]

Homework Equations

M = [itex]\frac{f}{R^{3}}[/itex]

f = [itex]\frac{π}{3}[/itex][itex]\left(\frac{15C}{2πG} \right)^{3}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{N}{V}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ρN_{0}}{2}[/itex], since Z/A = 1/2

[itex]P=Cρ^{\frac{5}{3}}[/itex] = [itex]\left(\frac{N}{V}\right)^{\frac{5}{3}}[/itex] [itex]\left(\frac{3h^{3}}{8π}\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{5m}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

C = [itex]\frac{1.064\times10^{-67}}{5m}[/itex][itex]\left(\frac{N_{0}}{2}\right)^{\frac{5}{3}}[/itex]

I took [itex]N_{0}[/itex] = 6.02 x [itex]10^{23}[/itex] so C = 31.57

[itex]\frac{15C}{2πG}=\frac{473.53}{4.19\times 10^{-10}}=1.13\times10^{12}[/itex]

Putting that into f, we get f = [itex]1.511\times10^{36}[/itex]

Now, [itex]1.2\times10^{30}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1.511\times10^{36}}{R^{3}}[/itex]

and finally R = 107.98m, which doesn't make any sense to me. The only place where I think I might have it wrong is the value of [itex]N_{0}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Working with units would help to spot the error.
What is N0? If it is the avogadro constant, why do you get it as factor between a density and another density? Which units do you use for ρ?

I hate the textbook and the class notes but, per class notes, I assume ρ is in g/cc, and N/V is in particles per cubic meter.

cc? cm3? Then you need an additional factor of 10^6 to convert between m3 and cm3.

But then I'd have to divide by 1,000 to go from grams to kilograms... so I'd need an additional factor of 1,000 rather than 10^6.

As you can see, it would be useful to work with units everywhere. It is easier to spot (or avoid) those prefactors if you know the units of your parameters.

And now it gives a more sensible size (somewhat larger than Earth in volume, yet on the same order of magnitude); I find that the Coulomb pressure wouldn't affect the radius very much.

1. What is the "White dwarf mass-radius relation"?

The White dwarf mass-radius relation is a relationship that describes the relationship between the mass and radius of a white dwarf star. It is based on the concept of degeneracy pressure, which is the force that keeps electrons from collapsing into the nucleus of the star.

2. How is the White dwarf mass-radius relation calculated?

The White dwarf mass-radius relation is calculated using the Chandrasekhar limit, which is the maximum mass that a white dwarf can have before it collapses into a neutron star. This limit is dependent on the properties of the white dwarf, such as its composition and temperature.

3. What is the significance of the White dwarf mass-radius relation?

The White dwarf mass-radius relation is important because it helps us understand the structure and evolution of white dwarf stars. It also allows us to make predictions about the properties of these stars, such as their luminosity and temperature.

4. How does the White dwarf mass-radius relation differ from other stellar mass-radius relationships?

The White dwarf mass-radius relation differs from other stellar mass-radius relationships because it is based on degeneracy pressure, which is a quantum mechanical effect. This makes it applicable to objects with extremely high densities, such as white dwarf stars.

5. Are there any exceptions to the White dwarf mass-radius relation?

While the White dwarf mass-radius relation is generally applicable to most white dwarf stars, there are some exceptions. These include white dwarfs with extremely high magnetic fields, which can affect their structure and density, and white dwarfs in binary systems, which can be affected by interactions with their companion star.