Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

White dwarfs and the age of the universe

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1

I'm doing a bit of research into white dwarfs and cosmochronology as part of my uni course, it seems like a fantasticaly interesting field but i've got a couple of questions which i haven't yet been able to find answers to.

Firstly, several papers i have read refer to a luminosity of log(L/Lsolar) = -4.5 when refering to ages on a luminosity/Age graph. I assume this is reffering to a specific point at which stars with a lower luminosity have not been found and so corresponds to the oldest stars?

Secondly I am unclear about the conditions which lead to convection zones being formed in the envelope and what governs their progression through the atmosphere to the degenerate core. I understand the effect they have on the overall cooling rates but not why they should only be present below specific temperatures.

If anybody could shine any light on these i would be in your debt

Many thanks Phil
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted