Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

White dwarfs catalogue

Tags:
  1. Jun 4, 2015 #1

ORF

Hi

I've solved numerically the equations for a white dwarf (ie, a newtonian star in hydrostatic equilibrium, supposing the pressure is caused by relativistic electrons and the mass is provided by nuclei).

I would like to plot observed radius and mass for testing this model. Do you know if there is a catalogue with this experimental data of white dwarfs?

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 5, 2015 #3

ORF

Hello

Thanks for answering so quickly. I didn't find the radius of the WD in these web pages.

And thank you for your advice, but I googled during a whole day without results. The mass is easy to find, but the radius...

Greetings!

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jun 5, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The relationship between the radius and the mass of a white dwarf is a simple one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf {See the section Mass–radius relationship and mass limit }

The paper cited here:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1979ApJ...228..240S

compiles a table of the characteristics of over 100 WD stars. Part 2 of the paper contains a table of this data, and a pdf copy of the paper can be downloaded from a link contained in the abstract.

7. Jun 7, 2015 #6

ORF

Hello!

Thank you both!

Wow, almost 1900 WD catalogue!! :D

Thank you, it's a good reference and there is a lot of information! :D

Greetings!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook