1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

White/Green/Blue Vitriol

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    I need to find the structure of[tex]CuSO_4.5H_2O[/tex], [tex]ZnSO_4.7H_2O[/tex] and [tex]FeSO_4.7H_2O[/tex].

Ive looked at J.D. Lee for them but cant seem to find them, maybe im looking in the wrong place. I cant find something worthwhile on the net either. All I seem to hit are actual pictures of the salts/solutions but not the actual structure. Please help. If you can point out a link or something, Id be really greatful.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2
    Someone...? Anyone...? Please...?

4. Feb 15, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you asking about crystal structure (face centered cubic)?

If so, try searching for X-ray crystal structure of...

5. Feb 16, 2007 #4
    no... that not what im looking for... im looking for the molecular structure...

6. Feb 16, 2007 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps you are asking about the Lewis Structure?

The molecular structure in the crystal form will be presented as the X-Ray crystal structure. The molecular structure for ionic compounds is fairly meaningless in solution. The ions dissociate and are usually surrounded by solvent molecules. That fraction that is present in solution in undissociated form is actually continuously forming ions; said ions are continuously reforming undissociated species.

Different solvents or ligands may have different crystal fields and solvent shells which result in different arrangements of ligands/solvent around ions. This phenomenon gives rise to ionic species that have different spectral properties in differing solvents or with different ligands. Search on Debye Huckel Theory, Crystal Field Theory and 10DQ.

7. Feb 17, 2007 #6
    Yeah, I think its the Lewis structure Im looking for. Like diborane has the sturcture with the banana bonds (3c-2e bonds).

8. Feb 18, 2007 #7
    Nobody knows the molecular structure??? Im not talking about the structure in solution... the anhydrous form....

9. Feb 20, 2007 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Review the rules for determining Lewis structures.

If you are having difficulty, google "lewis dot structures". There are useful resources that will assist you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?