Discovering the Structure of CuSO4.5H2O, ZnSO4.7H2O, and FeSO4.7H2O: A Guide

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding the molecular structure of CuSO4.5H2O, ZnSO4.7H2O, and FeSO4.7H2O. They have searched in textbooks and online but have not been able to find the desired information. They clarify that they are not looking for the crystal structure, but rather the Lewis structure. They also mention the role of solvents and ligands in determining the molecular structure. They are advised to review the rules for determining Lewis structures and to use online resources for assistance.
chaoseverlasting
I need to find the structure of[tex]CuSO_4.5H_2O[/tex], [tex]ZnSO_4.7H_2O[/tex] and [tex]FeSO_4.7H_2O[/tex].

Ive looked at J.D. Lee for them but can't seem to find them, maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I can't find something worthwhile on the net either. All I seem to hit are actual pictures of the salts/solutions but not the actual structure. Please help. If you can point out a link or something, Id be really greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone...? Anyone...? Please...?

Are you asking about crystal structure (face centered cubic)?

If so, try searching for X-ray crystal structure of...

no... that not what I am looking for... I am looking for the molecular structure...

Perhaps you are asking about the Lewis Structure?

The molecular structure in the crystal form will be presented as the X-Ray crystal structure. The molecular structure for ionic compounds is fairly meaningless in solution. The ions dissociate and are usually surrounded by solvent molecules. That fraction that is present in solution in undissociated form is actually continuously forming ions; said ions are continuously reforming undissociated species.

Different solvents or ligands may have different crystal fields and solvent shells which result in different arrangements of ligands/solvent around ions. This phenomenon gives rise to ionic species that have different spectral properties in differing solvents or with different ligands. Search on Debye Huckel Theory, Crystal Field Theory and 10DQ.

Yeah, I think its the Lewis structure I am looking for. Like diborane has the sturcture with the banana bonds (3c-2e bonds).

Nobody knows the molecular structure? I am not talking about the structure in solution... the anhydrous form...

Review the rules for determining Lewis structures.

If you are having difficulty, google "lewis dot structures". There are useful resources that will assist you.

What is white/green/blue vitriol?

White/green/blue vitriol is a common name for the chemical compound copper sulfate. It is a combination of copper, sulfur, and oxygen atoms.

What are the uses of white/green/blue vitriol?

White/green/blue vitriol has a variety of uses, including as a pesticide, fungicide, algicide, and herbicide. It is also used in the production of fertilizers, dyes, and pigments. In addition, it is used in certain medical and laboratory applications.

How is white/green/blue vitriol produced?

White/green/blue vitriol is typically produced by dissolving copper oxide or copper metal in sulfuric acid. The resulting solution is then crystallized and dried to form the compound.

What are the potential risks associated with white/green/blue vitriol?

White/green/blue vitriol can be harmful if ingested or inhaled, and can irritate the skin and eyes. It is also toxic to aquatic life. Proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling the compound in a well-ventilated area, should be taken when working with it.

Can white/green/blue vitriol be recycled or disposed of safely?

Yes, white/green/blue vitriol can be recycled or disposed of safely. It can be reused in certain industrial processes, or it can be neutralized and treated as hazardous waste. It is important to follow proper disposal guidelines to prevent harm to the environment and human health.