White pride

." Why not just preserve ethical behavior and working social structures, good food, etc., regardless of the specific ethnic group it is typically associated with? So what if your grandchildren have a drastically different last name than you do and don't observe your customs? Shouldn't they be able to think for themselves and decide how they want to behave, not simply behave a certain way because it is culturally prescribed?"

LOseyourname, i see your point.In malaysia there are 3 (ethnicity)main races, malays,chinese and indian.There are more interacial marriages nowadays than in the past and this usually cause a lot of conflict. Mainly , the problem with preserving ones culture is the clash of tradition with the realities of the present.I as well as most of the people i know agree that culture is important but we will have to adapt it to more modern ideals as well as having respect for other cultures and individuals.However there are the racists and the close minded people that fight under the excuse of tradition and culture ( us versus them) even in governmets. And i also believe that individualism is important. Asian culture usually places the individual as less important than the society and this breeds confomity.

plus said:
A father objecting to his daughter marrying someone of different race is justified, and not an evil part of racism. He is just trying to preserve his race/ culture. You objecting to this means that you think that there is no culture worth preserving. Whether the father is european or african, or arabic or asian, it makes no difference to this argument.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said I thought that there was no race worth saving or preserving. What I was trying to get across was that it isn't right to judge someone who makes a family member happy based on how they look or what culture they are from. There are ways of preserving a culture through what you share and not how you look. I never said that there was no race that was worth preserving.

loseyourname said:
It could just be that she thinks who a woman marries should be the woman's choice and not her father's. Granted, she hardly presented it that way. Personally, I've never understood why anyone has any desire to preserve a certain culture or tradition simply because it is "theirs." Why not just preserve ethical behavior and working social structures, good food, etc., regardless of the specific ethnic group it is typically associated with? So what if your grandchildren have a drastically different last name than you do and don't observe your customs? Shouldn't they be able to think for themselves and decide how they want to behave, not simply behave a certain way because it is culturally prescribed?

This is part of what I was attempting to convey.

misskitty said:
I never said that there was no race that was worth preserving.

It derives from what you said.

A father (usually) devotes many many years and much effort into bringing up a child. He has at least the right to voice opposition to the child marrying someone he does not like. He has the right to voice opposition to a child marrying someone from another culture.

I never said it. You derived from it what you wanted to. Thats my fault simply because I failed to clearly articulate my position. However, I never said there was no race worht preserving. Go back and read my next post where I quoted Loseyourname.

The_Professional said:
I've heard this argument from David Duke and a bunch of other racists. That whites should have the right to be proud of their race. After all, if it's okay for blacks to be proud then so should whites. Is this a valid argument?

Why are Asian Americans allowed to say Asian pride without being branded as racists, while saying White pride has negative connotations ie.. a white, racist supremacist?

because asian and african americans don't run around hiding behind white sheets, burning crosses and using violence to support thier beliefs.

edit: a good comparison is the anti-abortion extremists who bomb clinics and kill doctors. Someone with a belief will advocate, but nothing is scarier than someone with a cause.

Last edited:
Definitely a valid point. I think part of why Asian and African Americans can say African American or Asian Pride, is because they are also targets of The KKK. Which I think is a disgraceful organization, but thats my opinion. Pride for whatever race isn't the most horrible thing, however, there needs to be a limit to how prideful one should be.

You shouldn't take pride to a point where you'd be infringing on another's right to be happy and prosperous.

racism definitely exists in asian culture. I know several aquaintences who are japanese/chinese, and the racism is there.

racial pride is a sad crutch of the weak and foolish. Judging someone on thier race shows a total lack of intelligence, and rationalization of fears and inadequecies. I have no respect, patience, or time for racists, and I personally think we should just throw racists in a pit, dump gasoline on them and light a match- the world would be a better place.

Not wanting someone to marry because of race to preseve racial traditions and heritage is pointless. History will preserve them. Restricting someone's personal choices because of race is pointless. As someone pointed out earlier we all have a common ancestry. We are human beings.

This whole thread saddens me and reminds me that as a civilization we have so far to go.

"racial pride is a sad crutch of the weak and foolish. Judging someone on thier race shows a total lack of intelligence, and rationalization of fears and inadequecies. I have no respect, patience, or time for racists, and I personally think we should just throw racists in a pit, dump gasoline on them and light a match- the world would be a better place."

Like i said before, there are reasons for some to havr racial pride.U should distinguish racial pride from racism.

"History will preserve them. Restricting someone's personal choices because of race is pointless. As someone pointed out earlier we all have a common ancestry. We are human beings."

I wouldn't rely on history to preserve my culture, many cultures have already dissapeared from the world and history did prove that( for example Mayan,Hittite). Our culture wont survive if we just didn't do anything to preserve it.
Why cant we preserve our culture and yet be respectful of other. However regarding marriage (as well as many other things)i think we can be flexible and be accepting of others as well. There are problems with interracial marriages but that are not easy to resolve ( i know couples in inter racial marriages in malysia).Both members of the marriage will have to compromise. I think regarding interactions between people of different cultures, compromise and tolerance should be practicesd.

Zantra said:
racism definitely exists in asian culture. I know several aquaintences who are japanese/chinese, and the racism is there.

I'm not saying that racism doesn't exsist in Asian cultures, because it definitely does. Racism exsists everywhere, no matter where you go. In some areas racism is more intense and concentrated than in others. Racism definitely exsists between Asians of different backgorunds.

Zantra said:
racial pride is a sad crutch of the weak and foolish. Judging someone on thier race shows a total lack of intelligence, and rationalization of fears and inadequecies. I have no respect, patience, or time for racists, and I personally think we should just throw racists in a pit, dump gasoline on them and light a match- the world would be a better place.

I can agree with this. I wasn't saying be a racist when I mentioned be proud of your race. I was going more for be proud of your heritage because it is part of whatmakes you who you are. I wasn't advocating that you should rub it in other peoples' faces and make them feel worthless. I didn't even say you should tell anyone else your background if you don't want to.

Not wanting someone to marry because of race to preseve racial traditions and heritage is pointless. History will preserve them. Restricting someone's personal choices because of race is pointless. As someone pointed out earlier we all have a common ancestry. We are human beings.

This is true. Unfortunately, practices like this still go on because people don always realize this fact. Thats their own fault they thinkthey are so special and above everyone else they feel they have the authority to dictate other peoples' lives.

misskitty said:
Definitely a valid point. I think part of why Asian and African Americans can say African American or Asian Pride, is because they are also targets of The KKK. Which I think is a disgraceful organization, but thats my opinion. Pride for whatever race isn't the most horrible thing, however, there needs to be a limit to how prideful one should be.

You shouldn't take pride to a point where you'd be infringing on another's right to be happy and prosperous.

The KKK is a terrorist organisation and should not be compared to having pride in European ancestry. Similarly neither should the Nazi party provide a comparison.
Whether the KKK exists or not is nothing to do with Asians/ Africans having pride in their race as it has little influence upon society. African pride is less threatening to other races as in USA there are less africans than europeans in the nation. Thus african racism against european goes more or less unchecked whereas there is strong social stigma attached to european racism.

plus said:
The KKK is a terrorist organisation and should not be compared to having pride in European ancestry. Similarly neither should the Nazi party provide a comparison.
Whether the KKK exists or not is nothing to do with Asians/ Africans having pride in their race as it has little influence upon society. African pride is less threatening to other races as in USA there are less africans than europeans in the nation. Thus african racism against european goes more or less unchecked whereas there is strong social stigma attached to european racism.

The KKK is a terrorist organization. I won't dispute that because I agree with you. However these people target others because they are of European ancestry. They think that Europeans are the end all be all of society and anyone who is not of European ancestry is inferior to them.

misskitty said:
The KKK is a terrorist organization. I won't dispute that because I agree with you. However these people target others because they are of European ancestry. They think that Europeans are the end all be all of society and anyone who is not of European ancestry is inferior to them.

Not quite sure what you're argument is here, as believe it or not there are many terrorist organisations in the world. They target innocents on the basis of ethnicity/ nationality/ religion/ politics, and many other aspects of a person. The KKK is a famous example of one of these.

Thats what I'm saying. They target people who are of Asian and African descent just as they do everyone else who isn't of Northern European descent.

As far as my earlier comment about one's heratige, it had nothing to do with my comment on the KKK. It was simply know your roots because they are part of what make you who you are. Not have pride because it makes you a member of hte KKK. That wasn't what I was saying.