Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whites only scholarship

1. Mar 20, 2004 #1
    Here is the link to the article.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0040320/ap_on_re_us/whites_only_scholarship_2

I've seen a lot of black only, or Native American only, and lots of other *insert minority* only scholarships, but when some one makes a white only scholarship people freak out. That seems to be racism to white people.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2004 #2
    That's because Republicans are racists.

Seriously, though, there is no such thing as "white heritage". The whole idea really IS racist.

4. Mar 21, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The whole idea is to fight affirmative action, to raise the issue and talk about it. They sure did a very good job, and no, it is nót racist. And Zero -I probably shouldn't go into this- there is no white heritage? That means there is no black heritage either.

5. Mar 21, 2004 #4
    No so, and of course they are racist. They don't want to fight AA, they want to fight equality.

There is an artificial black culture in America because Africans from other cultures were uprooted and their heratige destroyed.

What is "white" culture? There's no such thing.

6. Mar 21, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same for all the whites who were uprooted and their heritage destroyed for moving to the US. If there is no American white culture, there is no American black culture either! (hence equality)

They want to fight equality, where in the article did you get that from?

7. Mar 21, 2004 #6
    Oh, wow, a scholarship I could actually get money from.

cookiemonster

8. Mar 21, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, before going to the US a few years ago I was looking for a scholarship or grant too because I absolutely didn't have any money and they're not going to pay for an exchange student over there.

Well, I was out of luck, because I don't belong to any of the minorities. And not having money is not considered being a minority, which I think is totally racist and short-sighted. Not having money should make you eligible for a grant, not being Jewish!

So in the end I didn't find any scholarship or grant I could apply to (the one I could, I missed the deadline). Luckily I was able to go anyway by the generosity of people at whose place I stayed.

9. Mar 21, 2004 #8
    It gets worse.

Even if I apply for and somehow win a scholarship, I still don't get any money. They order the winners and start handing out money, based on need, from the top down until they run out. Since my parents make enough money to pay for college, as far as scholarships and the government is concerned, I'd just get passed right by. Naturally, it doesn't help that my parents spend just as much as they make...

Although I could get a full ride plus incentives if I wanted to go to Arizona State, but that would involve staying in Arizona.

cookiemonster

10. Mar 21, 2004 #9
    So, in other words, you CAN get a free college education, just not the exact college you want to get into? Shall I slap you for being an ungrateful little jerk NOW? Or shall I wait until later?

11. Mar 21, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, so I think a whites-only scholarship is stupid, but that is what these students were thinking too! That is why they raise the issue: there are all these grants with special conditions, but it leaves certain groups out of the picture who then feel left out.

There are enough white people who come from minority families, just like black people do. Then why make the distinction? Because apparently they haven't catched up yet, which takes some time. That still means that the issue has to be raised from time to time.

12. Mar 21, 2004 #11
    Correct, Zero.

Dunno what's "ungrateful" about it, though.

cookiemonster

13. Mar 21, 2004 #12
    There are scholarships for everyone. There's a scholarship for being Irish, German, English, etc...why should there be an artificial "white" scholarship as well, except because these kids are closet racists? I know as a blonde haired white woman, Monique, you know that racism only exists against white people...we've been over this ground before, you and I.:frown:

The reality is that there are scholarships for athletes, smart kids, amputees, children of firefighters, children of people who work a certain place, for those who plan on being teacher, the list goes on...but these racist students choose to ignore all of those, and focus on how hard, how very HARD it is to be white...pathetic.

14. Mar 21, 2004 #13
    How exactly does commenting on the number of scholarships for whites as compared to the number of scholarships for minorities equate to whites being racist?

cookiemonster

15. Mar 21, 2004 #14
    Because they AREN'T comparing the number of scholarships handed out, they are complaining about black people getting scholarships. They aren't complaining about the plight of the non-athlete, the "c" student, the non-artistic, or anyone else who isn't eligible for certain scholarships.

I'm not having any more of these discussions, I'm sick of middle class white kids complaining because black kids get scholarships too.

16. Mar 21, 2004 #15
    Oh, okay. You're talking about in general. Thought you were referring to specifics.

cookiemonster

17. Mar 21, 2004 #16
    Did you read the article? Not only do I find them racist and out of line, but so does the Republican Party, which censured them, and suspended their right to use Republican symbols. This specific group is a hate group who spends time targeting minority groups for ridicule and scorn. They don't want a debate, they want to attack people who aren't like them.

18. Mar 21, 2004 #17
    I skimmed it.

I don't much care about small political groups. They usually can't get enough done to concern me.

Besides, they're college students. They probably think they're supposed to act like jack-/smart-asses.

cookiemonster

19. Mar 21, 2004 #18
    Are you serious about there being no "white heritage"? Have you forgotten about the Greeks and Romans? Have you forgotten about everything that happened during the European Renaissance, and all the great philosophers/leaders/scientists who came out of it and changed the world? Have you forgotten about the rebirth of democracy that people of European descent led to?

Every "race", or group of people has a "heritage", unless they just magically appeared recently and have no ancestors/past.

20. Mar 21, 2004 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that sense I wonder what the black heritage would be.. is slavery the only heritage that you can have?

21. Mar 21, 2004 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And again, questioning whether affirmative action still has a place in the world in this day and age, doesn't make you a racist. Another example of the over-sensitive american society.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?