Whites only scholarship

• Thread starter Miles
  • Start date
I agree that affirmative action needs to be altered. Plenty of blacks were able to graduate from college and do well pre affirmative action. But why are there scholarships for blacks in the first place? Wouldn't the time between slavery and the civil rights movement be affirmative action for whites? Slavery/segregation has had tramatic psychological effects that still affects blacks today. I'm not saying that it warrants affirmative action but that it's still a valid issue that needs to be discussed. That time period still connects to issues that blacks are dealing with today (incarceration, poverty, self image, etc)

There are black and native American scholarships.

Not Asians. In fact, many Universities try to put a cease on Asians entering because too many surpass the requirements keeping other people from getting in.

Anyone who makes decisions about other peoples futures and prevents people from entering education due to race is a racist. This applies to black only scolarships as well as anything else. There is no reason why black people should have lower admission standards to college than anyone else.

The fact is that black people consistently score lower on standardised tests than any other people, including asians and whites growing up in similar circumstances. If the asians grow up in a poor disadvantaged neighbourhood, then they work hard and try to get into a good university. The blacks see 50 cent as their role model and commit crime to try and get some money. This attitude has to change.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
plus said:
The fact is that black people consistently score lower on standardised tests than any other people, including asians and whites growing up in similar circumstances.
No, that is not a fact.

If the asians grow up in a poor disadvantaged neighbourhood, then they work hard and try to get into a good university. The blacks see 50 cent as their role model and commit crime to try and get some money. This attitude has to change.
This attitude is in fact racist. You are generalizing your opinion for a whole group based on skin color, that is just wrong. The only Asians you see are the ones that succeed and free themselves from poverty, while 'blacks' (whatever that means) are around either case.

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Monique said:
No, that is not a fact.
It's vauge and the phrasing is poor, but the statement is essentially factual in nature -- depending on what 'standardized tests' and 'black' mean it can be experimentally verified. My understanding is that people who self-identify as black do worse as a population than people who self-identify as white on the SAT's.

Although the second part of the post is indeed racist, ignorant, and insensitive, the notion that there are performance differences due to cultural differences is not unreasonable.

member 5645
NateTG said:
It's vauge and the phrasing is poor, but the statement is essentially factual in nature -- depending on what 'standardized tests' and 'black' mean it can be experimentally verified. My understanding is that people who self-identify as black do worse as a population than people who self-identify as white on the SAT's.

Exactly, and that fact is what lends people to calling the SAT 'racist'

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sure, there are cultural difference.. but culture is something different from skin color. I am very sure that if I were to take a SAT or a GRE I would score below my ability. Just because I am not familiar with the testing format that is used in the US.

Plus in fact mentioned a condition to the tests:
The fact is that black people consistently score lower on standardised tests than any other people, including asians and whites growing up in similar circumstances.

That would leave out cultural variation and only leave in skin color, thus the statement is not true.

Janitor
Science Advisor
people to calling the SAT 'racist'--phatmonky
Is it fair to conclude that Asians must be in charge of writing the SAT tests, i.e. that the SATs are Asian-centric, and thus non-Asian students do relatively poorly?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maybe tests like the SAT and the GRE should be done away with completely. I think the GRE is stupid anyway.. I was good in the logic section, but they threw it out and replaced in with essay writing, and there is already a section english vocabulary, and I don't even want to get into English writing major.. anyway.

Anyone who makes decisions about other peoples futures and prevents people from entering education due to race is a racist. This applies to black only scolarships as well as anything else. There is no reason why black people should have lower admission standards to college than anyone else.
Go tell that to some of them. They'll sue Universities and accuse them of "racism" since not even blacks or no blacks attend their University, depite the fact that they don't meet standards. So, instead of letting deserving students in, they have to let a few of them in.

No, that is not a fact.
Yes, it is a fact.

TIME had an article on it. Blacks scored significantly lower.

The fact is that black people consistently score lower on standardised tests than any other people, including asians and whites growing up in similar circumstances. If the asians grow up in a poor disadvantaged neighbourhood, then they work hard and try to get into a good university. The blacks see 50 cent as their role model and commit crime to try and get some money. This attitude has to change.
A lot of them stay "gangsta" after getting rich. You can accuse me of being discriminatory, but just talk to:
Rasheed Wallace
Chris Webber
Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Michael Irvin

Still not convinced? I've got a lot more examples where those came from...oh, here's another: Bonzi Wells. Oh, and another: Jason Kidd.

Exactly, and that fact is what lends people to calling the SAT 'racist'
Oh yes, asking you to write essays and solve math problems is so racist.

Just because I am not familiar with the testing format that is used in the US.
LOL.

Format as in filling in the A,B,C,D,E bubbles?

Is it fair to conclude that Asians must be in charge of writing the SAT tests, i.e. that the SATs are Asian-centric, and thus non-Asian students do relatively poorly?
Actually, TIME's chart showed that Whites were pretty close.

Zero
ok, the racism has to come to a stop, and I'm gonna do my part. Thanks for coming, hope you have had a great time, see you in 2 weeks.