1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whittaker and Watson Theory of Residues example one

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I have been struggling with this exercise as well as number 4.
    I was wondering if there is a solution / hint manual for this well known text available somewhere ?
    Otherwise I would very much appreciate any hints on this one to start with
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    -See attached image, more legible this way.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Transform into a countour integral by substituting z = exp(iθ), replace sin(θ) and cos(θ)
    by the obvious.
    This gives a rational function of z, the poles are z=0, z=x, z=1/x ( x = 0 is excluded, that particular solution is trivial )
    However having f(0.5(z+1/z), 0.5/i(z-1/z)) doesn't seem coherent with the definition given, and also calculating the residue for z=0 is problematic.
    Another attempt would be to substitute with f(Re(z), Im(z)), however since all poles are real this would suggest all the residues are null given that f is null for real numbers !?

The passage from f to Phi also seems problematic, I thought the analicity of the function and two boundary conditions given would suffice to deduct something interesting using Cauchy's formula for partial derivatives of analytical functions but I wasn't able to.

Thank you very much in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted