Who are mathematicians? Do they struggle with memory and concentration?

• Thread starter Navy Stone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's love for mathematics and their thoughts on becoming a mathematician. They mention their struggles with concentration and memory, but also their ability to grasp abstract concepts and ask questions. They wonder if there are any mathematicians who also struggle with these things and if they are still successful. The conversation also touches on the stress and joy that mathematics brings and whether mathematicians worry about not making new discoveries. Finally, the conversation mentions a document that features the perspectives of famous mathematicians and their worries about their abilities.
Navy Stone
Mathematics is strikingly beautiful to me. I love the bizarre, abstract truths it conceals. And I've thought about being a mathematician myself...but I don't know if I could be.

I can grasp abstract concepts with ease, and I know how to ask the right questions in order to learn a concept in its entirety, but I have two major struggles. I can't concentrate well (focusing is really hard for me) and my memory is pretty terrible. A year ago I understood calculus completely. And now I have to teach myself the subject all over again.

Are there any mathematicians out there who struggle with these things?

I mean...sometimes I watch Numberfile videos on YouTube, and I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of things mathematicians seem to be familiar with. As a young person, the thought of trying to learn everything in mathematics reminds me of trying to carry a bundle of laundry to the washer...a few socks fall out along the way. You can't hold onto it all at once.

Mathematics both stresses me out and brings me more joy than anything else imaginable.

So who are mathematicians? Are there any mathematicians who have poor memory and concentration? Are they successful?

Do mathematicians ever get stressed looking at the mountain of concepts they still haven't acquired?

Do they ever worry that they might end up on the streets because they can't (or don't happen) to discover anything new in mathematics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You remember what you use a lot. I've read similar responses by mathematicians on questions like this that say they can barely even understand what some of their first papers are about because they've forgotten about them.

Likes Demystifier
I am not a mathematician, but I came across http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/gowers/gowers_VIII_6.pdf which gives the perspectives of several famous mathematicians, and interestingly many did worry about their abilities.

I will say, however, that non-mathematicians like me (a biologist) do need to know the essential concepts of calculus (which is essentially physics v= d/t, d=vt).

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier

1. What is a mathematician?

A mathematician is a person who uses their knowledge of mathematics to solve problems and develop theories.

2. What do mathematicians do?

Mathematicians use their skills and knowledge to study and explore mathematical concepts, create mathematical models, and solve complex problems in various fields such as science, engineering, finance, and technology.

3. What skills are required to become a mathematician?

To become a mathematician, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including advanced knowledge in areas such as calculus, algebra, geometry, and statistics. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail, are also essential for mathematicians.

4. What are some famous mathematicians?

Some famous mathematicians include Pythagoras, Euclid, Archimedes, Isaac Newton, and Albert Einstein. Modern-day mathematicians such as Andrew Wiles, Terence Tao, and Maryam Mirzakhani have also made significant contributions to the field.

5. Can anyone become a mathematician?

Yes, anyone with a passion for mathematics and the determination to learn and solve complex problems can become a mathematician. However, a strong aptitude for and interest in mathematics is necessary to succeed in this field.