Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who ARE You People?

1. Aug 22, 2007 #1
    I've been helped two or three times on this forum with extremely intelligent replyers that brushed off my questions with ease. I've looked through the sub-forums such as Quantum Physics (WOW, that is some ADVANCED stuff!). Just wondering, are you guys scientists? Professors? College students? Because you're all crazy smart...
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's a mix of people on this forum, ranging from high school students to undergraduate students, grad students, lecturers and professors, as well as professionals in fields such as engineering and other people just generally interested in science.
  4. Aug 22, 2007 #3
    that is awesome. i think im gonna join this forum later in life (if its still alive)
  5. Aug 22, 2007 #4
    there are 15 yr olds in here wanting to learn Calculus ... lol

i'm 22, i just started liking Math ...
  6. Aug 22, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you could do that, or you could just stay and visit when you have free time. The forum really benefits from users with different levels of expertise. You never know, you may find it useful if you need help with any other questions, and any help you give other students will be much appreciated!
  7. Aug 22, 2007 #6
    yeah... this is one of the best and most useful forums ive ever visited... and the people are nice.
  8. Aug 22, 2007 #7
    There are some 15 year olds on here that are all ready pretty proficient in it XD

Just visit the forums whenever you get a chance. There's a lot to learn. I don't know much at all but I still like to help people out where I can (mainly pre-calc/beginner physics). I mean just from helping others and answering peoples questions you start to get a much deeper understanding of topics you thought you knew pretty well. My point is is that if you have an interest in math/physics there is a lot to learn here.
  9. Aug 22, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here, here!
    This is a very valid point. In order to learn physics or maths, one needs to "do" it. An even better way of understanding or refreshing one's memory is to help other people. That's why helping people here is a benefit to the helper as well as the helpee.
  10. Aug 22, 2007 #9
  11. Aug 22, 2007 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome, omg precal. We have tons of people of all ages and levels of experience here, and we welcome them all. You'll might find some topics that are over your head, but plenty more that are just right for you to help someone else out. We think that's the mark of a well-structured forum!

- Warren
  12. Aug 22, 2007 #11
    I'm 27 and in the same boat. It's tough now to decide what to sudy when I transfer..physics, math, engineering...all...now that I am older, that is. I tend to lean too much on reason than on blind faith that it will work out. I'll be 50 by the time I decide on a career.
  13. Aug 22, 2007 #12
    i'm quite happy how things worked out. i didn't have a stable family, so i got the maturity part of the way before i took most of my important undergraduate courses.

i do feel behind tho, but there's nothing i can do about it so i'm just enjoying learning. my motto is ... with the right attitude and vision, you can make it anywhere! lol, we'll see tho. i have only one more yr till i transfer (hopefully)!
  14. Aug 24, 2007 #13

Gib Z

Homework Helper

*Winks at Feldoh whilst handing him the bribe money under the desk*
    Who are you talking about Feldoh?
  15. Aug 24, 2007 #14
    XD, there are many GOSU here.

Hope one day I (currently a noob) can help others instead of always being helped.
  16. Aug 24, 2007 #15
  17. Aug 24, 2007 #16
    I think you have got it,xd.

The opposite term of gosu is : noob=chobo=newbie.
  18. Aug 24, 2007 #17
    I'm just a freshmen in college majoring in physics. We have people from all over the spectrum.
  19. Aug 24, 2007 #18
    damn i'm getting old ... haha

makes no sense to me.
  20. Aug 24, 2007 #19

Gold Member

I can't see it going away any time soon; it's growing every day. And you've already joined, or you wouldn't be able to post. Becoming a contributor is a different matter, but it's not compulsory.

edit: I just realized that I never answered the original question. 51-year-old high-school dropout.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  21. Aug 25, 2007 #20
    Ive just joined college 3 weeks ago... some of the people here are really really knowledgeable... the kind of professional help you would have trouble finding if you tried and they're all ready to help you out... this place is amazing...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?