Who are your heroes?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
Never mind stupid statements, anybody who understand anything in bass history knows that Jaco was so important that He can be called by his first name only. His influence on music in general was fundamental, no matter whether you like what he did later on or if some people can be judgmental about a period of time they don't even know. Listen to any jingle on television, on radio, all over the place, he created the basis for the use of bass we have today.
I admire the fact that someone else here knows of Jaco. He was one and only and needs only be refered to by his first name. His music is crafted from stuff which I or most could never touch.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7674157.stm

I saw that picture many times but never knew its story ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute
Truly Amazing! :approve:
I vividly remember that event. A lot of white adults were pretty upset. I thought it was great!

At the time, I had been living in the US less than 2 years, and the segregation and racism had become pretty obvious - but I didn't fully understand it. My friends in grade school were white, black and hispanic, but I didn't think in the those terms. I had learned the term negro, but in my normal everyday experience with my classmates, it wasn't a term I used. I was becoming aware of the Civil Rights movement, and I thought it was primarily a problem with adults, who just didn't get it.

In junior high school, I was reprimanded by some african-american peers who informed me that they preferred 'black' to 'negro', which was a term used by 'white' people to put down blacks. That was early in the 'black power', 'black pride' movement.

Once I spent three nights in jail. While I was there a white guy stole something from a black guy. I stuck up for the black guy and because I did I got what they call a "chin check" for going against my race. Does that make me a hero?

My parents for loving me even when I treated them like crap and supporting me even when my decisions were stupid, then helping me to get my sorry self out of the mess I had made while forcing me to learn from my mistakes. My mom especially for sitting with me all those nights when my horse was sick and I couldnt leave her. Hay bales do not make a comfortable bed, and I never asked her to stay she just knew I needed her.

My coach who always said,
"no such word as cant, thats an excuse not a reason"
"if you have a problem its your responsibility, dont go around blaming your horse (or other people) the problem is yours you deal with it"

Richard Dawkins.

I don't really have any heroes. The way I see it, people do things for one of two reasons:

-They either have to do it
or
-They enjoy doing it.

Either way, it seems stupid to look up to someone who's doing what they have to do and why would I look up to someone who was just doing something they enjoy doing?

Besides, if I looked up to someone I'd have to spend time trying to be them and why would I want to be them when I can be me?

What did Kurt Cobain stand for?
Ok, not necessarily what he stood for what he went through growing up, etc, I see parallels.

-They either have to do it
or
-They enjoy doing it.
Here's what I think. ...
Most of the people I mentioned didn't have good lives (So, I don't think they really enjoyed their lives). And, they weren't forced into what they did. They rather made a distinction between right and wrong and screwed their lives for making this society better. They had guts (see China man) to stand against what is wrong and that's what made them hero (better than good people - now good people can easily stand for the right because of those heroes - see Tribdog quote above.) And because of them, we are living in better society (See Obama who is very talented but couldn't have made to presidential election if some people hadn't fought for the equal rights. Now it is so easy for good people to stand against racism.).