Who can afford to eat anymore?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the price of food has been skyrocketing the past few years and it's killing me because I am such a cheapskate. I used to hit the salad bar at the grocery store at least once a week a few years ago, but at a cost of $4.69 a pound now, it's cheaper to eat a fast food hamburger combo with fries and soda. The price of Chateaubriand, Lobster Thermadore, Eggs Benedict, etc. have gone through the roof. And don't get me started on the finer wines. Crepes Suzette just went up another 10% in the last month alone. My wife and I are at our wits'
I am at about 120$/week (2 meals and 2-4 coffees a day).

Physics news on Phys.org
cronxeh said:
I donno why you guys mention food cost. I blow close to 200 bucks a week on coffee, beer, and soda. :biggrin:

You work hard, you play hard. If you don't have the money, get a job!
The price of food is not just going up for people with a job. It is going up for everybody, like my 84-year-old father. He lives alone, and is finding it tougher and tougher to buy small portions (appropriate for one person) at prices he can afford. My wife and I keep him (and her elderly mother) in mind when we cook batch foods like soups and casseroles, so we can help ease the strain. The government's decision to not grant a cost of living increase to recipients this year to SS recipients was short-sighted.

turbo-1 said:
The price of food is not just going up for people with a job. It is going up for everybody, like my 84-year-old father. He lives alone, and is finding it tougher and tougher to buy small portions (appropriate for one person) at prices he can afford. My wife and I keep him (and her elderly mother) in mind when we cook batch foods like soups and casseroles, so we can help ease the strain. The government's decision to not grant a cost of living increase to recipients this year to SS recipients was short-sighted.

You know who is really to blame here? People that breed over 2 kids per couple.

cronxeh said:
Have you got anything to back up this off-the-wall idea? Couples who have more than 2 kids are jacking up the price of food in the US? That's beyond speculative.

Evo said:
I can't wait for my sushi shooter. I won several hundred dollars worth of gift cards at work, so I am waiting for my cards to buy it. MIH will finally get her Birthday present for 2005. I told her it would be a surprise, I think 5 years late will be quite a surprise. :blushing:

Does that sushi shooter come with a hip holster?

Math Is Hard said:
Does that sushi shooter come with a hip holster?
I'm going to test the sushi shooter, it has a 4-5 star rating.

Would you use a sushi shooter? My Amazon.com cards should be here any day. You could make cat chow sushi for Jellyroll.

I am so cheap. :redface:

turbo-1 said:
Have you got anything to back up this off-the-wall idea? Couples who have more than 2 kids are jacking up the price of food in the US? That's beyond speculative.

More than 2 kids per couple contribute to population growth, which contributes to increased food use, increased water use, increased consumption of other natural resources, which increases price of food by direct means (higher demand for food itself), and indirect means by increasing cost of land for farming and water cost for irrigation. Not to mention all the green house gases that are produced by excess human population on this planet by direct and indirect means, oil consumption which increases transportation costs, which increases food costs, etc.

Think of kids as cattle that neither makes meat nor milk. Plus all the garbage that we have to store somewhere, which occasionally pollutes the water, which, hey you guessed it - increases cost of food.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I'm going to test the sushi shooter, it has a 4-5 star rating.

OK longtime fellow PFers, you know the drill. I'll alert the local hospitals. Who's on first watch?

GeorginaS said:
Two boneless chicken breasts, here, will cost you over $9. $9 won't purchase a family-sized pack of anything chicken. Not even thighs. I don't know why, but chicken is crazy expensive here. When I got to visit friends of my on the west coast, I'm always astonished at how much less chicken costs there. And especially because this is an ag province.

butchers got a union? how much for a whole chicken that you have to cut up?

DaveC426913 said:
OK longtime fellow PFers, you know the drill. I'll alert the local hospitals. Who's on first watch?

I'll back you up. Evo is about to acquire a sharp object with moving parts. Red alert.

cronxeh said:

The fertility rate in the United States has been at or below the 2.1 replacement rate since the early seventies. If it wasn't for immigration our population would soon stabilize. All the families with 3 or more kids do is counter-act the people who have 0 or 1 children. I don't know where future immigrants will come from, since fertility rates are dropping all over the world.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds...rate#met=sp_dyn_tfrt_in&idim=country:USA:MEX"

Last edited by a moderator:
joelupchurch said:
The fertility rate in the United States has been at or below the 2.1 replacement rate since the early seventies. If it wasn't for immigration our population would soon stabilize. All the families with 3 or more kids do is counter-act the people who have 0 or 1 children. I don't know where future immigrants will come from, since fertility rates are dropping all over the world.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds...rate#met=sp_dyn_tfrt_in&idim=country:USA:MEX"
Best news I've heard in a while.
Maybe we'll become endangered and the whales will have to save us.

Last edited by a moderator: