Who communicates best at PF

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary: Lesser?In summary, the best communication skills on PF seem to be those of Moonbear, Clausius, Astronuc, and Danger. These individuals are approachable, have a unique style, and are funny. Evo and brewnog are also good communicators, but Moonbear and Clausius stand out the most.
Marlon,
Are you chasing mad dogs of Belgium,(99% probability)
Or attending a gay marriage there(.9% probability),or
may be
Most probably sitting in your lab,thinking hard,engrossed with something Creative(.1% probability).!

Is my probability distribution correct?? :biggrin: :biggrin:
Atleast answer this much.! :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
heman said:
Who do you think has got the best communication skills on PF!

These are the names which come to my mind,

Tom Mattson
Clausius
Astronuc
Moonbear
ZapperZ

I sincerely like Moonbear for her approachibility and the genre in which she gets her point right through and Astronuc for being unique and ready for everything!

And when it comes to being funny,nobody beats Danger! :tongue:

What do you think??
Bummer. I guess I failed to "communicate" well after all this time. :smile:

Pete

heman said:
Marlon,
Are you chasing mad dogs of Belgium,(99% probability)

What are 'mad dogs of Belgium' ?

marlon

marlon said:
What are 'mad dogs of Belgium' ?

marlon
http://www.samugliestdog.com/images/Sammagnetweb.jpg :wink:

honestrosewater said:
http://www.samugliestdog.com/images/Sammagnetweb.jpg :wink:

nice ugly cute dog! :biggrin:

yeah looks like mad too.! :rofl:

I like it when people respond to me and I can tell they have really tried to understand my perspective. I can tell because they take the time to acknowledge the pros and cons of each of my points, and respond to them all fairly and informed. If someone is just beginning to learn a subject, they don't use that as an opportunity to put him/her down or make them feel stupid, but instead put things in a way that encourages one to learn more. Two of my favorite people to exchange ideas with are Fliption and Math is Hard, both open-minded and apparently infinitely curious. But if I had to vote for one person whose communication skills have inspired me most here at PF it would be Nereid.

Les Sleeth said:
Two of my favorite people to exchange ideas with are Fliption and Math is Hard, both open-minded and apparently infinitely curious.

Open minded :rolleyes: what is that ?

I am sure you are going to label this remark as being childish but it is my honest opinion : i think you are more "friendly" in judging the communication skills of others when those people have the same/analoguous opinion as yours. I think you are mixing "open mind" with "having a general tendency to agree with your point"...How about you tell us which notorious philosophy adversary is a good communicator. take your pick and motivate, there is plenty of choice...

Good Luck

regads
marlon

marlon said:
Open minded :rolleyes: what is that ?

I am sure you are going to label this remark as being childish but it is my honest opinion : i think you are more "friendly" in judging the communication skills of others when those people have the same/analoguous opinion as yours. I think you are mixing "open mind" with "having a general tendency to agree with your point"...How about you tell us which notorious philosophy adversary is a good communicator. take your pick and motivate, there is plenty of choice...

Well, it is difficult not to appreciate someone who appreciates you, that's for certain.

But I wouldn't call someone open-minded just because they agree with what I believe is true. For example, if you were to review all my posts you'd see me often challenging spiritual thinkers to be more logical. I chose Nereid as an ideal communicator, and we definitely don't agree about the ontology of existence. But she always considers other people's points and answers them fairly.

Open-minded to me means to listen with the willingness to accept what makes sense and is supported with facts even if it isn't what one believes to be true. It means listening without one's own brain constantly at work figuring out ways one is going to refute what's being proposed. It means, when one really does disagree, to debate fairly by answering points with evidence and logic, and openly acknowledging when one's opponent makes relevant points. It means not approaching a discussion about subjects no one really knows the answer to with the attitude that one already has it figured out, and so what everyone else has to say is relatively insignificant. It means not leveling personal attacks when one can't make points any other way.

But I'd say the most important thing to having an open mind means being more concerned about learning and discovering the truth than being "right" or winning a debate or having one's opinion prevail no matter what. That's why I mentioned Fliption and Math is Hard . . . because they seem more interested in learning and getting at the truth than any other consideration. I really respect that quality in someone.

Last edited:
i think astronuc does but i have nothing to backup my claims

Les - I really liked your post. The intellectual open-mindedness that you describe is something I really value and respect, and something I personally try to strive for (with varying degrees of success).

juvenal said:
Les - I really liked your post. The intellectual open-mindedness that you describe is something I really value and respect, and something I personally try to strive for (with varying degrees of success).
Uhm... me too! :smile:

what's this thread about?

yomamma said:
:rofl:
It beats me too, no one has been able to tell me that, either..

yomamma said:

This thread is just like your avi.