Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who creat the physics rule?

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    Do it exist from the begining or before the begining?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2
    ?

Translation: what exactly are you talking about? :confused:

4. Sep 27, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

Lee Smolin has written some books that bear on this topic.

5. Sep 27, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I do. I have been given the legal right and responsibility for constructing all rules of Physics!

6. Sep 27, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's mean, y'all !

7. Sep 27, 2004 #6
    well...i suppose that physics is supposed to be universal, but physics is based on the observations of the known universe. So if there was no universe to exsist there would be no "rules" out side of this infintely small point in the heavens that contains the universe before the big bang. So u start to travel in to the metaphysics or spirtual physics depends on what u believe...

8. Sep 27, 2004 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, thank goodness you posted, Halls! I have been wondering who to speak to about this. Tomorrow I have a weigh-in at my fitness group meeting and I am 0.25 lbs. away from my ideal weight. If you could ease up on the gravitational force just an eensy weensy bit, I think I can make it. :smile:
    Thanks in advance!

OK, regarding the original question.. I am not sure if it is: "Who created the rules?" or "Who wrote the rules down?" I think some clarification is in order. "The beginning" is a very vague term.

9. Sep 27, 2004 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I got to pick my ideal weight - my advisors wanted me to go higher but I had a certain number in mind. It's at the lower end of the weight range for my height. Before I got my nice cushy "gummint job", I had high-stress occupations that caused me to pack on extra pounds, and I wanted to get everything back under control. I've shed almost 20 lbs. of flab since May and now I am back down to my "fighting weight" so I am extremely happy. :smile:

10. Sep 27, 2004 #9

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even if Halls could change gravity you probably still wouldn't make it! Most fitness group weighings use balance scales - not the spring variety.
    :wink:

11. Sep 27, 2004 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Darn it!! C'mon Halls, I know you can do something! Well, I'll report back tomorrow and let you know if Halls was successful or not! :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  12. Sep 28, 2004 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just don't drink any water until after you've weighed in. Stop at the restroom just before to get rid of any excess water weight. Also, wear your lightest shoes. Skip breakfast. Do all that and you can easily lose .25 lb in a morning (of course you'll gain it all back at lunch).

Is the first question supposed to be "Who" or "When?" By rules, do they mean laws of physics? My first reading of the question was to interpret it as asking if the laws of physics are only applicable post-Big Bang, or did they already exist prior to that. But maybe I'm being generous. "Who" doesn't really fit with the way the rest of the question was asked, so I doubt they are looking for a name of someone or something.

13. Sep 28, 2004 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear, thanks for the advice! Do you think if I run up and down the stairs in the morning it will help, or is that waiting too late? (I ran around the block 8 times tonight).

14. Sep 28, 2004 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good job, Halls. I was down three pounds! Just remember to turn the knobs slowly when you're bringing gravity back to normal. It causes earthquakes when you go too fast. :biggrin:

15. Sep 29, 2004 #14
    I mean...Does it require a god to design the physics rule. why the world is not like bunny cartoon?

16. Sep 29, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because God doesn't have a sense of humor ?? :confused:

I don't think this has helped clarify what your question means...

17. Sep 29, 2004 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Why isn't the world like a (Bugs Bunny?) cartoon? The moderator might want to steer this to the philosophy forums --- there have been a few discussions about the "God of the gaps" in there. There aren't any conclusions, because the question is philosophical in nature, and, therefore, has no answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?