Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who discovered Trigonometry?

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    I have read that astronomers are responsible for much of the advances in trig hundreds of years ago but never seem to find who exactly pioneered this field of research.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

i guess the 2sin(x/2) isn't what the greeks called it; that's what it's called in modern terminology
  4. Nov 19, 2005 #3
    I notice we don't have many people on this one. WELL, when I was in high school, I was told that THALES (Thales the Milesian) Ca 635BC-543BC was a businessman who traveled to Egypt and decided to write up and systemize their geometry, which was used for ownership decisions after the Nile overflowed.

I quote: Thales is credited with first popularizing geometry in ancient Greek culture, mainly that of spatial relationships. He is the first one who separated trigonometry as an independent group from Mathematics, to be one of the four basic "elements" of geometry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?