Respect: Who Do You Respect Most & Why?

• Thread starter CylonMath
  • Start date
In summary: I respect my husband most. He works hard and has always been there for me. He is great with the kids, too. I realize how fortunate I am everyday to have him in my life. My father was also a great man, but he didn't respect people who didn't use who and whom correctly.
CylonMath
Who do you respect most , in your life ? And Why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I respect my husband most. He works hard and has always been there for me. He is great with the kids, too. I realize how fortunate I am everyday to have him in my life.

My father. I can't explain why, other than he was a thoughtful man with no prejudices. He was more than capable of handling himself physically, yet never raised a hand in anger. His neutral stare and the phrase "That's enough," made the nastiest of guys back off immediately.

Leah said:
I respect my husband most. He works hard and has always been there for me. He is great with the kids, too. I realize how fortunate I am everyday to have him in my life.

I concur... well, except with my husband. :biggrin:

I truly respect people who don't let me or anyone walk all over them without a fight. Some people are blessed with grace and strength like Danger says.

I respect people that aren't afraid to admit when they are wrong. No one is perfect, but I know people that just will not admit it.

Evo said:
I respect people that aren't afraid to admit when they are wrong. No one is perfect, but I know people that just will not admit it.

Yup, That's a good one. Sometimes we push to an idea or opinion until we loose everything and end up holding nothing but our stupid conviction. Idea dead, friendships dead, original points dead... or, shunned, banned, ignored, forgotten.

Thank you for bringing this up. Furthermore I respect people who are effectively assertive, and seek them out to learn from.

I respect and admire people who are honest in all aspects of their life.

hypatia said:
I respect and admire people who are honest in all aspects of their life.

WOW! Do you honestly know Anyone who is honest in all aspects of their life?
I Never met such a person, where are they?

Lacy33 said:
WOW! Do you honestly know Anyone who is honest in all aspects of their life?
I Never met such a person, where are they?

I just found this as a signature for PF member edward:
"Truth is whatever you can make someone believe" Tommy Smothers
Is this what you meant?

Evo said:
No one is perfect

No one...? :uhh:

I'm sure she meant to except you in that statement.

hypatia said:
I'm sure she meant to except you in that statement.

He's No one!:wink:
Why had I used a pronoun for referring to no one?:confused:

Nelson Mandela. After being in released form prison in 1990 he hasn't reoffended once.

My mom my dad and several members of PFs, i am an awkward cuss, and find other than may be a doctor PFers are the only people i listen to.

I respect people who are always ready to think logically about issues and subjects, with no prejudice, rather than take things for granted. Sadly, rational thinking is a rare commodity.

neu said:
Nelson Mandela. After being in released form prison in 1990 he hasn't reoffended once.

I laughed so hard that I almost choked on that one!

CylonMath said:

A friend of mine who showed me that just because people don't agree with me doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid.

I respect my wife. It's not just affection/love, but respect for the way she has dealt with my medical issues, and picked up all the slack, and the way she is pitching into care for her elderly mother (dementia) by staying with her for 24 hours every weekend.

turbo-1 said:
I respect my wife. It's not just affection/love, but respect for the way she has dealt with my medical issues, and picked up all the slack, and the way she is pitching into care for her elderly mother (dementia) by staying with her for 24 hours every weekend.

That's rough. She must have nerves of steel to be able to handle that. I know I can't.

turbo-1 said:

I think you can safely conclude she's a keeper Turbo.

franznietzsche said:
That's rough. She must have nerves of steel to be able to handle that. I know I can't.
It is really hard on her. Luckily, she has 6 siblings, and they are all taking 24-hour shifts once a week so her mother can continue to live in her house.

Kurdt said:
I think you can safely conclude she's a keeper Turbo.
I'm pretty sure. We've been together for over 33 years.

CylonMath said:

I respect people who use who and whom correctly. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I respect people who use who and whom correctly. :biggrin:

Were you secretly watching chat?

Kurdt said:
Were you secretly watching chat?

Heh, no.

OMG a chat spy!

I respect loyalty and honesty. I respect ability to admit mistakes (Evo has already listed that one). I respect pragmatism winning over ideology. Quite often these are hard to bring together.

If you don't know how to behave, behave decently. I am not sure if it keeps its strength after translation form Polish, but that's more or less how I would describe the thing in Polish.

Borek said:
If you don't know how to behave, behave decently. I am not sure if it keeps its strength after translation form Polish, but that's more or less how I would describe the thing in Polish.

I speak Polish. Let's see it.

Jeśli nie wiesz jak się zachować, zachowaj się przyzwoicie.

It is attributed to Polish poet Słonimski. Sometimes quoted as "porządnie" instead of "przyzwoicie".

Borek said:
I respect loyalty and honesty. I respect ability to admit mistakes (Evo has already listed that one). I respect pragmatism winning over ideology. Quite often these are hard to bring together.

Sounds close to something I have (tried to) sear into my daughter's character: Common courtesy is a minimum requirement. Not an American adage or saying...just something a mom says to her kid.

hypatia said:
OMG a chat spy!

Haha, no secret IPs. From what I gather, either it's a coincidence, or I'm psychic; your choice. :biggrin: I was responding to the title of the thread.

hypatia said:
OMG a chat spy!
Hypatia, your avatar is beautiful!

Lisa! said:
He's No one!:wink:
Why had I used a pronoun for referring to no one?:confused:
:rofl:
I have to alter my original answer, because I misunderstood the question. For some reason, I thought that it meant 'who do you respect most?', in which case my late father is the correct response.
In reality, I respect everyone until they give me cause not to. Almost everyone on PF is very high on my list, with Astronuc at the top of the heap. I hope that no one felt slighted because of my failure to mention that the first time.

To me, the most important thing is probably sincerety. And I don't mean in regards to joking around or having a little fun, I mean internal honesty.

If there is one thing that irks me it is the social chameleon - people who, deep down, stand for nothing.

The reasonable man [person] adapts to the world around him, while the unreasonable man tries to change the world to suit himself. Conclusion: Change only occurs because of unreasonable people.