Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who do you Trust Most?

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Who do you trust most, and why:

1. the smartest person,
    2. the most moral person,
    3. the most sincere person,
    4. the kindest person,
    5. the most loving person,
    6. or . . . (fill in your choice)

My answer. I trust the kindest person most. I can tolerate the faults of the good-hearted friend -- his deceptions, moral failures, stupidity, selfish lapses when he is afraid, anger . . . if I know that kindness will win out in the end.

What I was thinking about when I wrote the question was what quality in people encourages me most to trust them enough to let them get close to me as a true friend. Right now, for example, I know a lot of people because of a social situation I participate in weekly. I can see that I allow certain people closer than others and I was thinking about why I do.

My three closest friends are far from perfect, especially when they are stressed or worried about something. In spite of their imperfections, and that they might injure me unintentionally with their faults sometime, I also can tell that when they see they've hurt me they are sorry, and enough so to stop or make up for what they've done. We are all the same way in this respect, and I can tell that's why we are friends (plus we are all pretty forgiving . . . maybe I should have put that on the list since being as imperfect as I am I require that in a friend :cool: ).

Anyway, I also can see friendships that seem to have different values at the core of them, and I was wondering what others have found to be the best basis of friendship.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The most reliable person.

4. Sep 24, 2005 #3

Per

I trust the person with most goodness.

5. Sep 24, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'll take one of the given choices to make this decently interesting.

I pick the most sincere.

6. Sep 24, 2005 #5
    Considering all 5 choices, I can not imagine how one can be the other on your list without the other traits.
    Each trait gives rise to the other.

I would take advice from a person 1-5 as I see them all as one person.

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6

Per

If you knew of a very reliable pedophile, never failes a molestation, woule you trust this person to babysit your kids?

8. Sep 24, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You mean you can't think of anyone whos smart but not sincere? or not moral but kind?

9. Sep 24, 2005 #8

Per

Would you date and marry a sincere woman serial killer?

10. Sep 24, 2005 #9
    If you are speaking of people possessing the true essence of these traits?
    NO.

S

11. Sep 24, 2005 #10

Per

No it said most, therefore it is very hard to find one who is the top kind person who also is the top moral guy.

If not most, then of course you can have a moral kind loving smart reliable guy.

12. Sep 24, 2005 #11
    A sincere woman serial killer is sincerely confused/ill.

13. Sep 24, 2005 #12

Per

Atleast she is caught quickly. :smile:

14. Sep 24, 2005 #13
    Very good point.
    So good traits with bad habits can help a person increase good traits?

15. Sep 24, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it all depends on the situation. If I were shopping for a surgeon, I would trust the most skillful person. If I were seeking a confidante, then I would probably trust the most moral person (who would not betray my trust).

16. Sep 24, 2005 #15

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I chose kindness from experience with my friends. Some of them might err in any of the other areas, even to the point of hurting me. But when they see they are hurting it makes them stop.

17. Sep 24, 2005 #16
    I feel this is a very good point.
    People with basic goodness adjust the otherwise rotten behaviors that are a natural part of being human and living in a wild environment ( like any society on the planet at the moment, or at least most.
    Good natured people don't LIKE behaving badly. It buggs them until they adjust a situation.
    That again why I believe all the good traits on the above list can be found in most basically good people.
    S

18. Sep 25, 2005 #17
    The most moral person in any case, however that begs a question.

Just HOW do you know they are the most moral? Self-claiming is known (at least, to me) to be the most inaccurate way.

19. Sep 25, 2005 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

First tell us what you mean by trusting someone? Sharing your secrets with them? Believe what they say? Ask them to take care of something or someone for you? In every case my answer is different. So I'd be grateful if you make it specific, otherwise I can't answer your question!
    Have I misunderstood you?:redface:

20. Sep 25, 2005 #19

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

No you haven't misunderstood at all. After reading some of the answers I could see how "trust" can mean many things. Russ answered the most reliable, which in certain circumstances I would choose as well. If someone were telling me he/she felt a certain way, I would hope for sincerity . . . and so on. Rather than explain here, I'll go back to the first post and clarify. Hopefully that will help you answer.

21. Sep 25, 2005 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thanks! Yeah, that helped alot.

I have no problem to make friends with any kind of people provided that they would be easygoing. I even have some close friends that they're not very decent people. I mean some of them are too selfish and dishonest sometimes, but I've been able to treat them to behave another way towards me. For example they never tell me lies and are always honest with me, since they know I can easily realize when they're lying and when they're not. In case they are selfish, I just help them in the cases that doesn't take too much for me. I mean for example doing something immoral or spending too much time on something when it doesn't have any benefit or pleasure for me! I choose them as friends because we can have nice time together and be useful for each other( for example learn useful thing from each other)! So as long as their selfishness and dishonesty doesn't hurt me at all and it couldn't have bad efect on my behaviors, I can't see any problem to be close to them!
    I think in a friendship, you need to know your friend and then know how to behave towards them! If my friend is unreliable, I never count on him/her whenever something is important to me. Or I never share my secrets with a friend whom s/he's not able to keep it for himself!
    And of course I always forgive people when I know they've not done something offensive in order to hurt me.
    Hope I'd understand you well now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?