Who else but pf could help me w/this prob.

• Thread starter karen03grae
  • Start date
In summary, So a friend of a friend calls me with this Cal. I. prob. I try to figure it out and get stuck. I have already told her that I don't know how to solve it. Now I am reallllyy curious on how to solve it. Here it goes:You have a rectangular beam. Its cross-section has dimensions "l" and "w". The strength of the beam is directly proportional to w^2*l. Now if the beam is cut from a circular log with diameter of 3ft, what are the dimensions of the beam that will make it the strongest?
karen03grae
So a friend of a friend calls me with this Cal. I. prob. I try to figure it out and get stuck. I have already told her that I don't know how to solve it. Now I am reallllyy curious on how to solve it. Here it goes:

You have a rectangular beam. Its cross-section has dimensions "l" and "w". The strength of the beam is directly proportional to w^2*l. Now if the beam is cut from a circular log with diameter of 3ft, what are the dimensions of the beam that will make it the strongest?

So I said s(w,l)= k*w^2*l where "s" is the strength. The width must be a little less than 3ft...but here I am just guessing. I know that l*w is proportional to pi*r^2, but I don't know where to go from there. help

Physics news on Phys.org
That question was confunsingly worded, but I think it means the rectangular section you can cut our from the circle.

Hence, develop a formula for the dimensions of a circumscribed rectangle, then derive it.

Yes! I can't relate the rectangle to the inscribed circle. How would one do that?

Draw a picture. If a rectangle is inscribed in a circle, then its diagonal is a diameter of the circle. Now use the Pythagorean theorem.
Let R be the radius of the circle. If an inscribed rectangle has length and width, l and w, then [itex]l^2+ w^2= (2R)^2[/itex].

I got w = 6/sqrt(5) and l= 3/sqrt(5). I said [tex] s(l,w) = w^2*l [/tex]. Where "s" was the strength. I took the partial derivative with respect to both "l" and "w". The partial w.r.t. "l" was [tex]w^2[/tex]. And the partial with respect to "w" was 2*l*w. I set both of these equal to zero. I did this to maximize the function. I don't think I was supposed to solve it this way because it is a problem from Cal. I. Anyway, I now have 2*l=w. I solved for "l" by the relationship that HallsofIvy told me to use. So [tex] l=sqrt(9-w^2)[/tex] gets substituted into l= w/2 and that's how I got w= 6/sqrt(5). It sounds reasonable, but I would like to know if I did it correctly.

You could've used the fact that w^2 = (9-l^2)

and just subed that directly into the equation.

No, your answer is wrong :-) Follow double Mikes suggestion. There is no need for implcit differentiation

Never did figure out this one.

You are given that the strength is s= kw l2 and you know that
w2+ l2= 4R2 so l2= 4R2- w2 and s= 4kR2w- kw3.

Differentiating with respect to w, s'= 4kR2- 3kw2= 0 at a critical value. That is, w2= (4/3)R2 so that [tex]w= \sqrt{\frac{4}{3}}R[/tex] and then l2= 4R2- (4/3)R2= (8/3)R2 and [tex]l= 2\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}R[/tex].

l, you might notice, is not "w/2", it's w= l/2.

Thats a tough problem for calc 1. Perhaps latex is just making it look really complicated.

Thanx. Can rest easier now.

1. Who is pf and what do they do?

PF is a company that specializes in providing solutions for various problems. They have a team of experts who are knowledgeable in different fields and can offer assistance in solving a wide range of issues.

2. How can pf help me with my problem?

PF can help you by providing expert advice and solutions tailored to your specific problem. They have a proven track record of successfully solving complex problems and can offer innovative solutions to help you achieve your desired outcome.

3. Is pf the right choice for my problem?

PF has a diverse team of experts with a wide range of skills and experience. They have a strong reputation for successfully solving complex problems and providing excellent customer service. They will work closely with you to understand your problem and offer the best possible solution.

4. How quickly can pf help me with my problem?

PF understands the importance of timely solutions, and their team is dedicated to providing prompt and efficient assistance. The exact time frame will depend on the complexity of your problem, but they will work diligently to provide a solution as quickly as possible.

5. How much does it cost to get help from pf?

PF offers a variety of services at competitive prices. The cost will depend on the specific problem and the services required to solve it. They provide transparent pricing and will work with you to find a solution that fits your budget.