Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who has ADD?

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    so how many other people on this board have been diagnosed with such condition? (blank stare for 5 minutes) ok. please reply

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2
    Not me, but I'm interested in this sort of thing. How old are you, and when were you diagnosed? What seems to be the main symptom, or thing that lead you to a doctor?

4. May 10, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Count me in, although I wasn't diagnosed until I was 46. 150mg of Wellbutrin in the morning and 20mg of Citalopram at night seems to be doing a good job.

5. May 10, 2005 #4
    46!!! That's very late for any kind of psych dx. Do you know the exact classification they've given you? I'm recalling there's some specific adult version.

6. May 11, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

It was more of a self-diagnosis based upon several different symptoms, which I then consulted my doctor about. He agreed, and started me on the medication. The perscription has changed a bit since then, since the first couple of incarnations lost effectiveness after a while (first 150mg Wellbutrin, then 150 morning and 75 night). I suspect that the seratonin must be the primary instigator, since the Citalopram is SSRI as opposed to the broad-band Wellbutrin and seems to make the difference. As for it being an adult version, I've had a lot of the symptoms since my early teens. I don't even know if the condition had been discovered at that time.

7. May 11, 2005 #6
    What kind of doc was this, a GP or a shrink? I know that GPs can prescribe all the same medications.
    No, you're right, it wasn't.

Looking in my copy of the DSM-IV, I find only Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. I'm not clear if that means one has to have both some kind of inability to pay attention and hyperactivity, or if you can get the dx from having either symptom.

What was it that lead you to start wondering about such a diagnosis for yourself?

8. May 11, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

It was my GP. I don't mind discussing this with you, but some of it's a bit touchy, so if you don't mind I'd prefer to continue this on PM. :smile:

9. May 11, 2005 #8
    No problem.

10. May 11, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are quite a lot of adults being diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Usually, they've had the symptoms all their lives, but just were never diagnosed for one reason or another.

I think there was a thread in the biology forum on this a while ago. I don't recall if it was a particularly informative thread or not, but I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found the thread, though it was a rather short-lived one; I must have discussed the topic somewhere else, because this isn't quite what I was remembering. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=21820

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  11. May 11, 2005 #10
    As far as I know, I've never met anyone with this dx, and it is a blank page in my understanding. The hyperactivity aspects they describe in the DSM sound very similar to hypomania. I'm wondering how they distinguish.

12. May 11, 2005 #11
  13. May 11, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. May 11, 2005 #13
    Mouse giggles?

15. May 11, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, it was more the one that was related to Theory Development and mentioned Attention Deficit Syndrome. I didn't open it to see the context, it just struck me as funny reading it in the search results.

16. May 11, 2005 #15
    Thanks for tracking this down, Moonbear. I read it, but am more interested in descriptions of what someone with this condition are like, or what it is like to be someone with this condition.

17. May 11, 2005 #16
    Real inattentives and hyperactives - what they are like

It depends if the person in question is inattentive-type or hyperactive-type.

The hyperactive type runs like a motor, reacts quickly to stimulation and does not attend to tasks very well. ("Poor impulse control" describes this person well.) This is easier to understand if one remembers the heuristic that 60% of the brain is there to inhibit the other 40%, that this inhibition circuitry requires power and that the hyperactive's inhibition circuitry is underpowered. If a hyperactive's inhibition circuitry is powered up with amphetamines, he tends to appear normal.

The inattentive type frequently misses relevant environmental information (for example, social cues), reacts slowly to stimulation and has trouble filtering out irrelevant environmental stimulation. Off-topic aural and visual streaming to this person is like kryptonite to superman. When there is distracting noise or visuals, he literally cannot think about anything except, moment by moment, the action in the distracting information streams. It is hard for this person to carry on a conversation or study or read in a cafe or a crowded party. The inattentive has underpowered brain circuitry that deals with filtering of incoming information. His reticular activating system may also be underpowered, resulting in his typical sluggish thinking speed (sluggish relative to IQ -- the IQ curves for both hyperactives and inattentives are typical in both means and distributions).

The inattentive is perhaps best described by the main character in the movie Memento, especially in the scene where the female lead (a sociopath played by Carrie Ann Moss) tells him she is going to use him and exits the house, he frantically tries to find pens/pencils to write down what just happened (she had hidden the pens on purpose, knowing he needs to write in order to remember anything), and she then distracts him by barging back in pretending to be crying which makes him forget what she just told him. The real inattentive is not as extremely distactable and forgetful in terms of quantity as the Memento character, but the description fits in terms of quality.

18. May 11, 2005 #17
    Wow! Thanks hitssquad. Excellent.

As with alot of things that probably shouldn't be in the DSM both types seem to be essentially neurological, and the one is probably a completely different problem than the other. They seem to have been lumped together by the superficial similarity of having a deleterious effect on attention.

I will check for Memento next time I'm on a film watching binge.

Thanks.

19. May 11, 2005 #18

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I often suspect I have ADD. I then took this test which said I exhibited severe symptoms and should consult a doctor. I erm, havn't got round to doing it yet :(

20. May 11, 2005 #19
    they told me i had it and i took wellbutrin for a while but it made my liver produce too much of something or other.

21. May 11, 2005 #20

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

My children have ADD and my son is more likely ADHD. We had tests done, which pretty much confirmed it, particular my son. Both take Concerta.

I have ADD (some combination of the hyperactive and inattentitive about which hitssquad posted). I was tested after my kids, which happened about 4 years ago. I don't take medication, unless one considers the fact that I consume large quantities of coffee.

My father has it, and his father and probably his farther's father had it. It seems to run through the males on my father's side of the family.

In my case, I probably self-medicated with caffeine. I can remember sitting in class during elementary and high school - and not being able to sit still. Reading literature was difficult if I was not interested in the story - but math and science were easy. I can multi-task - I used to eat, watch TV and do homework. I always needed background noise to concentrate - total quiet was very distracting for me.

I occasionally had EEG's done, and the results apparently interested the various doctors who read them, but no one could explain why - only that the brain waves were different.

As for processing relevant or irrelevant information, I would have to think about that. In my line of work, I collect seemingly irrelevant information, but eventually it may prove useful. Some of my colleagues are amazed at how I can remember journal articles or obscure bits of information, which are relevant to a particular technical matter. I see things that everyone else overlooks, but to me are very obvious. On the other hand, I do sometimes miss social cues, and my wife hates it when I 'phase out'.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?