Who here is an actual physicist?

• Thread starter theobserver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, there are several physicists who actively participate on Physics Forums, including some mentors. Most of them tend to post in the physics-specific forums rather than in General Discussion. The member list can provide a good indication of who these physicists are based on their post count and occupation/education information. Some of the members who identify as "physicalists" also engage in research, with a mix of grad students, PhD holders, and professors.
theobserver

Physics news on Phys.org

theobserver said:
You won't find many of our physicists posting in General Discussion.

What do you consider "actual physicists"? Are grad students physicists? People with PhD's working in an entirely different field? Or are only professors physicists?

In this case people doing the actual research.

Too busy ...it's going critical ... got to go..
It's a good question. I'm curious also.

theobserver said:

By "here" do you mean the General Discussion forum specifically, or Physics Forums as a whole?

A number of physicists who actually do research, post on Physics Forums. Some of the mentors are among this group. They tend to post more in the physics-specific forums, and less often in General Discussion.

I mean the entire forum.

Look at the member list: https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php?order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30

I've arrange it by post count (so you can see the people who are around most) and take a look at the "occupation" or "education" sections. That will outline a good few for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm a Physicalist

pergradus said:
I'm a Physicalist

What is your main area of research?

theobserver said:
In this case people doing the actual research.

I'm a physics grad student who works in a lab doing research.

G01 said:
I'm a physics grad student who works in a lab doing research.

What kind of research?

Check the "About Me" section of his profile.

theobserver said:
Not me. :wink:

1. Who can be considered an actual physicist?

An actual physicist is someone who has obtained a degree in physics or a related field, such as astrophysics or engineering physics. They also conduct research in the field of physics and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

2. Are there different types of physicists?

Yes, there are various subfields within physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and particle physics. Each subfield focuses on a specific aspect of the physical world and has its own set of theories and principles.

3. What skills are necessary to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. They also need to have excellent communication skills, as well as a curiosity and passion for understanding the natural world.

4. What is the difference between a physicist and an engineer?

While both physicists and engineers use scientific principles to solve problems, they have different focuses. Physicists study the fundamental laws of nature and conduct research to expand our understanding of the universe. Engineers, on the other hand, use scientific knowledge to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

5. Can anyone become a physicist?

Yes, anyone can become a physicist if they have the necessary skills and passion for the field. However, it is a challenging and highly specialized career that requires dedication and hard work. It also requires a strong academic background in the sciences and advanced degrees for most research positions.