Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who here loves to fish?

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    I love fishing and ever since the semester has ended I have been out as much as possible. I love spring fishing but so far I have only caught a pike. It was big at about 24'' but still not what I wanted. I go for walleye and large mouth bass mostly.

If you have had any luck tell us about it. The big fish stories are always the best.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2
    I love fishing. I'll be spending a week up in far northern MInnesota fishing this summer, trolling for pike, jigs for panfish, tandem spinners for bass (and pike i suppose. Got one to leap over a boat once using one of those, damned funny sight). Very much looking forward to it all.

4. May 15, 2005 #3
    I have a cabin on the shores of Lake Michigan in michigans upper. The fishing is great! Salmon, trout and giant cats! The little creek has some smelt now too.

5. May 15, 2005 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No I do not fish, but will be spending Memorial Dayhere

go figure? :rolleyes:

6. May 16, 2005 #5
    [​IMG]

Thats the pike I caught bewteen test during finial week. I needed to get my mind some where else and so I went out to the lake for a quick bite to eat and cast out my ol red and white dare devil and wham...he it....

I also had the pleasure of meeting some of the friendly locals

[​IMG]

I love the midwest.....well at least during spring, summer and most of fall...

Hey franznietzsche, have you ever been to lake of the woods? I have heard some amazing stories about the fishing up there.

Regards

7. May 16, 2005 #6
    No never been to lake of the woods. My dad's family lives in southern Minnesota, around Waseca, so we go fishing on the lakes there, and every summer the whole family heads up to Balsam, north of Grand Rapids. Fishing is usually crazy there. One summer we were pulling panfish out of the water left and right, like a piranha feeding frenzy. Catch 5-10 pound pikes. Its great.

8. May 16, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, Townsend, is that a fish you're holding, or are you just happy to see me? :biggrin: Sorry, couldn't resist, especially since you cut your face out of the photo!

I haven't gone fishing in ages. I never did the stream/river/lake freshwater fishing thing. I grew up on the coast, so it was all saltwater fishing in the bay. Mostly bottom fishing for flounder, sea bass, and snapper. I miss the water. I used to go out boating/fishing/crabbing nearly every weekend of the summer from the age of 2 to 14 (we put a canvas over the back of the boat and my sister and I camped out on the deck at night, thus always in our own best interest to do a good job helping swab the decks after a day of fishing :biggrin:). Wow, do I miss that! We'd drive down on Friday night or Saturday morning, unload the gear, spend the night on the boat, if we arrived Friday night, we'd spend Saturday just boating and swimming, maybe a little fishing and crabbing, just enough for dinner Saturday night, then back to the dock, scrub the boat, bathe (it was really nice when they installed a shower at the boat yard, though it was always questionable if there'd be any hot water depending how many people were out swimming that day; otherwise it was the 5 gallon bucket of cold water for bathing...brrrrr), head to the boardwalk for a little while, then back and to sleep, then Sunday morning, get up, have breakfast, head out fishing, come back with the day's catch, scrub the boat and head home. Depending on how much we were catching, we either brought the fish home to clean (and I'd have fun chasing my grandmother with fish guts), or would just clean them as we caught them (my dad made a cutting board to mount on the side of the boat so he could just scrape the scales and guts over the side if we weren't using them for bait...the seagulls really enjoyed this). When all the gear was unpacked, the fish in the freezer or frying pan/oven, my sister and I hit the shower, had dinner, and then went off to sleep completely exhausted. I miss spending summer weekends that way!

9. May 16, 2005 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Townsend, be warned. That critter on the ground is not a pike.

10. May 16, 2005 #9
    They raise those in farms, harvest the shells, and sell them to Klingons to wear on their foreheads.

11. May 16, 2005 #10

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Townsend,

I got into flyfishing several years ago and it's a lot of fun. I don't get to do it much, but I try to get out when I can. I even went as far as to get the tools and materials to tie my own flies, it's relaxing and frustrating at the same time. I've caught numerous panfish and bass, but I'm still after my first trout.

Nice turtle! (no euphemisms intended) That species is my favorite, BTW did you notice if it smelled like anything familiar (serious question)?

12. May 16, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the fly fisherman here, this is an old customer of mine.
    http://www.snakeguides.com/

Mike and his wife are wonderful people and I understand that he makes the best!

13. May 16, 2005 #12
    Why would anyone take any pleasure in putting an end to a life? Isn't it more rewarding to see a fish swimming around than to kill it? If I were a dictator I'd ban fishing altogether.

14. May 16, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then I'm glad you're not a dictator. What's the difference between catching it yourself or buying it at the fish market? It's probably less harmful to go out and catch it yourself than for those big trawlers to go out and net everything in their path. And at the same time, you get to enjoy being outside, watching the rest of nature around you. Oh, and fish tastes good! :approve:

15. May 17, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Quick, Evo! An uncircumcised one!

Seems to me I've witnessed a wee bit of crabbing right here once in a while.

And they sell them the smaller snapping turtles as merkins.

16. May 17, 2005 #15
    "...putting an end to a life..." isn't the pleasure of fishing at all, and you can't grasp why people fish if you misrepresent what is actually happening in their minds. Back in the day those who "got into" stalking and capturing animals and fish were the ones who ate best.

It is almost unnecessary for any individual to do this on his own behalf today, there being farms and fishing industries, but the original genes behind the practise haven't gone away yet. Those who fish and hunt might be viewed as a contigent of people "staying in practise" in the event something happens to make these skills a necessity again. They give us an advantage over having to relearn all this from scratch, in case of an emergency. I don't fish, myself, but I sometimes go down to the pier and watch the experts do it. Most of the people who fish off the pier here in San Diego are Asian and Mexican immigrants who are actually using their catch to suppliment their diets. They eat what they catch. I think alot of fishermen do.

17. May 17, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Liar! Trolling for trollops counts as fishing.

18. May 17, 2005 #17
    Please refrain from refering to the exquisite and refined and educated ladies of PF as trollops. It is "low" and besides they will kill you.

19. May 17, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

As long as it's by suffocation or in a mud-wrestling accident, I'm down with that.

20. May 17, 2005 #19

More likely to splatter you over the windshield of the supersonic RV. Much more likely.

21. May 17, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Naw. I've heard about MIH's driving. If I stand still in the middle of the road, there's no way she'd hit me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?