Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who inspired and inspires you?

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1
    My personal favorite is Feynman,for living inspirational icons it would be neil degrasse tyson or Sean Carroll because they're really really good or william dunham because of his book,what about you ,who inspires you?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

cobalt124

Gold Member

Richard Dawkins for giving me the only plausible answer to the question "Why am I here?" and a much deeper appeciation of nature, Ludwig Wittgenstein for helping me sort out which questions are worth asking and which are not.

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

5. Jul 31, 2013 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Roger Waters and David Gilmour

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5
    I find Lev Landau inspiring. He contributed to many areas of physics. From solid state to fluid dynamics, and cryogenics to plasma physics!

7. Jul 31, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Beavis and Butthead.

8. Jul 31, 2013 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

My Mom.

9. Jul 31, 2013 #8

reenmachine

Gold Member

Butt-Head: Hey Beavis. I bet when we get that reward money, we can like, see that movie about stiffies, and we can like, pay for our own tattoos.

Beavis: Yeah! Then we'll be cool.

Butt-Head: I'll get a tattoo of a butt.

Beavis: I'll get a tattoo of a butt *on* my butt!

Butt-Head: Oh yeah?

Beavis: Yeah!

Butt-Head: Well I'll get a tattoo of a butt that has a butt-shaped tattoo on it, and I'll get it right on my butt! That would be cool.

Beavis: [briefly pauses] Yeah, me too.

huhu uh uh

10. Jul 31, 2013 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

from my musical perspective that would also be a yes for me. Tho I would have to add
    Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac. I have always been really impressed by Lindsey's guitar style.

In the sciences field ..... hmmmm, there's no one that really stands out. Over the many years there's been a lot of guys that have mentored me in audio and RF electronics. There were several lecturers at university during my geology studies I really looked up to. They just had an awesome teaching style. ( and of course there were some that were pretty bad!!)

Dave

11. Jul 31, 2013 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that's a bit of a worry WBN ;)

haha

D

12. Jul 31, 2013 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I think Waters and Gilmour even inspired me towards science by making me think about things in a deeper context. As far as scientists go, Henri Poincare is pretty far up there, probably Erdos too. I really like the polymaths.

13. Jul 31, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

:wink:

14. Aug 1, 2013 #13

Dembadon

Gold Member

One of my mathematics professors. He is my man-crush.

15. Aug 1, 2013 #14
    Ray Bradbury

16. Aug 3, 2013 #15
    Sherlock Holmes (Doyle's); Howard Roark (Rand's); Albert Einstein (From Ideas and Opinions); Madam Curie; Agatha Christie; Prometheus; The Universe.....

17. Aug 3, 2013 #16
    the sixth finger(1963) and dr. manhattan.

18. Aug 3, 2013 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Dr. Strangelove

19. Aug 3, 2013 #18
    Your obsession with Dr Manhattan almost equals mine with Sherlock Holmes....
    Though I have to admit I did not like that movie- Darkness I can put up with but not with hopelessness.

20. Aug 3, 2013 #19
  21. Aug 3, 2013 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook