What Makes a Great Writer? Examining William Shakespeare

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    writer
In summary: I'm not sure about modern fiction writers, since I mainly read textbooks, although great writers of non-fiction generally know their subject and write with a continuity.In summary, the ability to create a good story and engage the reader are two essential ingredients for being a great writer.
Avichal
William Shakespeare (for example) is regarded as a great poet/playwright? What makes him so good? What could he do that other's couldn't?
Basically I'm looking for things or skills/attributes of a great writer? What makes someone great in literature?

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
Avichal said:
William Shakespeare (for example) is regarded as a great poet/playwright? What makes him so good? What could he do that other's couldn't?
Basically I'm looking for things or skills/attributes of a great writer? What makes someone great in literature?

Thank You!
I think the ability to create a clever story and/or descriptions of the characters and scenery that enable the reader to become part of the story makes for a greater writer. In Shakespeare's case, he often wrote about historical characters or events, or relevant social issues.

I'm not sure about modern fiction writers, since I mainly read textbooks, although great writers of non-fiction generally know their subject and write with a continuity.

I am interested in the fiction writers. You are right - they have the ability to engage a reader in the story and become a part of it.
But what I am asking is - How are some writers better doing this thing?

It's really hard to be good at something if you're not passionate about it.

Passionate is one thing ... but other than that
1) You need a good story
2) You engage people in your story - What differs good writers from great writers in this step?

If you take a few courses in literature you might begin to get a handle on it. Getting a few quick answers on an internet forum isn't really going to tell you much.

Shakespeare was able to give the characters vivid emotion by the words he used. That's what I think made him so good. And he had a way of making everything everyone said sound poetic. For example, he wouldn't have a character simply say "you're crazy!", he'd have them say "hast thou eaten of the insane root, which takes the mind prisoner?!"

phinds said:
If you take a few courses in literature you might begin to get a handle on it. Getting a few quick answers on an internet forum isn't really going to tell you much.
Probably yes. I think I have to delve a bit deeper to figure out the answer.

Avichal said:
Probably yes. I think I have to delve a bit deeper to figure out the answer.

A wise decision.

leroyjenkens said:
Shakespeare was able to give the characters vivid emotion by the words he used. That's what I think made him so good. And he had a way of making everything everyone said sound poetic. For example, he wouldn't have a character simply say "you're crazy!", he'd have them say "hast thou eaten of the insane root, which takes the mind prisoner?!"

Using complicated phrases to describe mundane things doesn't necessarily make someone a good writer by any means but certainly giving a poetic spin to what would otherwise be prose and using vivid language to facilitate mental imagery in the reader's mind are elementary examples of great writing. Shakespeare was a brilliant writer for a myriad of reasons, discussions of which you can easily find in various articles on e.g. jstor.

The more you read, the more you'll learn to appreciate good writing and get some idea of what good writing actually is (granted "good writing" certainly has a subjective quality).

However, there are clear examples of writing that is unanimously considered great and writing that is unanimously considered terrible (by anyone with even a slight sense of taste). An example of the former could be "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens and of the latter, "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer :wink:

There is no doubt in my mind if someone hangs-out in a good on-line writing forum for at least six months and actively participates and engages in the discussions, they will become a much better writer. I know because I did and I'm a pretty good writer and would no doubt improve if I continued to do so.

Avichal said:
What differs good writers from great writers in this step?

A place to begin the investigation would be to ask what distinguishes good writers from not-good-writers.

Stephen Tashi said:
A place to begin the investigation would be to ask what distinguishes good writers from not-good-writers.

A good first sentence that captures the curiosity of the reader. So you open it and read the first line:

At first I didn't believe him. After all, spells are just make-believe, especially coming from him, so grounded in the sciences. But there are spells and there are spells and the kind he was describing to me was like no one you've ever heard of.

Aren't you curious now?

Last edited:
Not even in the slightest.

The best way to learn how to write is from the pro's:

darkandstormy2.jpg

WannabeNewton said:
Not even in the slightest.

me neither lol

First line IS important to hook you into the story.
Like this one:

"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe"

My beloved Faulkner is here to save the day:

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1949/faulkner-speech.html

Our tragedy today is a general and universal physical fear so long sustained by now that we can even bear it. There are no longer problems of the spirit. There is only the question: When will I be blown up? Because of this, the young man or woman writing today has forgotten the problems of the human heart in conflict with itself which alone can make good writing because only that is worth writing about, worth the agony and the sweat.

Read the whole speech, it is worth it.

A great writer not only entertains you but tells you something about the human condition. Romeo and Juliet morphed into West Side Story because the problems of "mixed marriages" have lasted through the centuries. Macbeth describes the problems of a man with a pushy wife be he a Scottish Lord or a middle manager in the marketing department etc etc.

Writers capture the imagination, great writers enslave it.

Chronos said:
Writers capture the imagination, great writers enslave it.

The Time Lord speaketh truly.

WannabeNewton said:
Using complicated phrases to describe mundane things doesn't necessarily make someone a good writer by any means but certainly giving a poetic spin to what would otherwise be prose and using vivid language to facilitate mental imagery in the reader's mind are elementary examples of great writing. Shakespeare was a brilliant writer for a myriad of reasons, discussions of which you can easily find in various articles on e.g. jstor.

The more you read, the more you'll learn to appreciate good writing and get some idea of what good writing actually is (granted "good writing" certainly has a subjective quality).

However, there are clear examples of writing that is unanimously considered great and writing that is unanimously considered terrible (by anyone with even a slight sense of taste). An example of the former could be "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens and of the latter, "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer :wink:
Hi, I like what you write here. Maybe this is the exact writing style for posts about which I am always expecting to read.

1. What makes William Shakespeare a great writer?

William Shakespeare is considered a great writer due to his exceptional talent for storytelling and his ability to capture the human experience in his works. He also had a profound understanding of language and used it to create rich and complex characters, as well as to convey universal themes and emotions.

2. How did William Shakespeare's upbringing influence his writing?

Shakespeare's upbringing in Stratford-upon-Avon, where he was exposed to the performing arts and the works of classical authors, played a significant role in shaping his writing style. His education and exposure to a variety of literature allowed him to develop a deep understanding of language and storytelling techniques.

3. What are some key elements that make Shakespeare's writing timeless?

Shakespeare's writing is timeless due to his masterful use of language, his exploration of universal themes such as love, power, and revenge, and his ability to create complex and relatable characters. His works continue to resonate with audiences of all ages and cultures, making them relevant even centuries after they were written.

4. How did William Shakespeare's writing influence literature and theater?

Shakespeare's writing had a significant impact on literature and theater. He popularized the use of blank verse, which is still used in poetry and drama today. His works also introduced new themes and characters to the literary world, and his plays continue to be performed and adapted in various forms, further cementing his influence on the arts.

5. What can modern writers learn from William Shakespeare's writing?

Modern writers can learn a lot from Shakespeare's writing, such as the power of language, the importance of character development, and the ability to create timeless and universal stories. Shakespeare's works also showcase the effectiveness of using different literary techniques, such as foreshadowing and symbolism, to enhance the depth and impact of a story.