Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who is a moron?

1. May 14, 2006 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a duplicate from the "mind and brain sciences forum", if the moderators are to delete one of the posts, please delete the one in the latter.

Have any of you read Goddard's written work, I think it's called "Who is the moron?" He describes the moron as particularly dangerous, because apparently, they have inadequate IQs, however unlike the lower IQ "imbecile" and "idiot", the moron still possess the need to procreate, and by doing so devastates the state of mankind with offspring that suffer the same state, to grow up to become monster Frankensteins.

To what extent do you all feel that his work has influenced the American culture? While many may not be familiar with his work, I think that this stigma is still a big aspect of today's society, the concept has been passed on so to speak.

That is, while the American culture seems to have distanced itself somewhat from that of religious stigmas, the IQ stigma still remains, perhaps even more strongly than before, to that of a "hell and heaven" effect. Nobody wants to be a "freak","idiot","imbecile" etc...and the media seems to be very attentative to this aspect of things. That is, to alleviate the matter, as well as enforce it in many instances. So despite the fact that his work is regarded as pseudoscience, people still seem to embrace these concepts, and perhaps for the better, perhaps this is why the American attitude of things is superior, because we have adopted his criteria in the form of a strong selection process.

The idea here is that those of us that don't have the intelligence and talents to be productive are doomed to do something incredibly stupid and detrimental, to digress to a criminal state. So it seems that people have a lot of motivation to at least appear busy and preoccupied, to avoid this stigma; and to indicate sufficient IQs which increases their chances of finding a mate. However, even the latter is a bit redundant in the sense that we are all expected to settle down by a certain age, and only the moron has trouble finding a higher intellectual calling. That is the motivation for "not being a moron", finding a mate, is often insufficient, to escape the disgusting moronic state, he/she must devote themselves completely to intellect. It has a strong religious connotation to it, but society seems to have adopted. It's a religious ideal, except in a more constructive form.

another issue I wanted to present was whether such a stigma would contribute to an increased prevalence in mental illness or would rather decrease the occurence, since perhaps, people have something that they can aspire to. A popular notion is that mental illness is a selfish trait.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2
    On the contrary, stupidity is a very popular societal trait, a prerequisite for being "cool". Who's Goddard, some sort of crazy eugenics guy?

4. May 14, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I am proud to be a moron, as i do not have to worry about all the things
    you higher beings have to.

5. May 14, 2006 #4
  6. May 14, 2006 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yep, he somewhat advocated for the sterilization of people with a particular IQ range, for people which he termed "morons." People with lower IQs then the moron's which fit into the "idiot" and "imbecile" category didn't need to be sterilized since they were supposedly clueless, and lacked any motivations whatsoever; without any "life" inside.

Yeah, you seem to be right, stupidity is at times deemed popular in high school. It's sort of an attempt to form, a lower standard of things, I think. However, I think that this "shield" somewhat wears off, by the time one is ready (or not) to go to college. Real world prospect becomes more important.

7. May 14, 2006 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

another thing I wanted to present was whether such a stigma would contribute to an increased prevalence in mental illness or would rather decrease the occurence, since perhaps, people have something that they can aspire to. A popular notion is that mental illness is a selfish trait.

8. May 14, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

If i say, i am a moron people will not expect much from me, just leave me alone, but it does not work.

9. May 14, 2006 #8
    "Don't criticize people for something they can't help."

-- A Moron

10. May 14, 2006 #9

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, i think that some of the comments posted on this forum is similar to the attitude of most college students. Rather then appearing stupid, they choose not to engage in any sort of academic interest they might already possess. In another words, they never get started. Nobody appears smart the first time they try to understand something, the process is essentially, that of naievety. Perhaps those who are more bold or don't have any social connections, wish to make something of themselves and thus they ask the questions in the classrooms. But most people seem to want to stick together, appearing socially intelligent. Another problematic aspect of this kind of dynamic is that the intelligent person, those who have the genuine talents, face the stigma also. This person becomes a threat, so the group has more incentives to curse him/her to a state where he/she becomes a moron in some form.

At the moment, there's more incentive on the part of the government to introduce more social pressures of increasing the math and science aptitude, see that we are falling way behind. So an important question is of whether such concepts, as Goddard's, are ultimately detrimental, as it seems that young students are now trying to escape the "moronic state" they are comprimising any potential which they might possess. So I don't think that the generation is passive about such matters, it's simply that they (consciously or unconsciously) feel the need to approach the matter more conservatively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?