What is the story behind the Hare Krishna book donation at the airport?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: We've got a great opportunity here, we can make a lot of money." In summary, Amway is a pyramid scheme that is illegal in many countries. The products that are sold are over-priced and of low quality. The best way to make money with Amway is to join and then sell the products and motivational materials to other suckers.
Saint
Recently I met a few Amway members, asking me to join MLM (multi level marketing),

but i got no time,
i agree with their concept, which is good and can make you rich and successful if you are persistent and know how to do it.

Anyone here is doing Amway ? Can you share with us your experience ?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was eighteen I had a down-line of about 50 people; some very rich people too. I was well on my way until I figured out the great deception. When your downline goes direct, you lose their down-line; so the pyramid does not keep building [oh, the expansion of circles, excuse me]. The real money is made by selling all of the motivational seminars, books and tapes [CD's] to the never ending stream of new suckers. Of course, a fundamental premise of Amway is that if you're serious, you will attend every seminar, and buy every book and CD put out by your upline.

It really hit me while I was sitting in a hotel conference room with about 500 other people at about 11:30 P.M. on a Saturday night, and while listening to a half a dozen Diamonds and double Diamonds explain how they retired on Amway. Hmmm...if they retired, why were they working on a Saturday night? Then I thought about all of those expensive motorhomes parked outside. Why motorhomes? Because they're not home! No, they are giving a lecture in some hotel on a Saturday night; and a long way from home.

Amways sells a clever form of greed; they appeal to your goodness to exploit your greed. In fact many of the multi-level marketing outfits use this ploy. You want to help others become successful, don't you? You owe your family, don't you? Then they appeal to your patriotism - Amway comes from American Way. See the book written by, I kid you not, Paul Conn. :rofl: [with an author named Conn, I should have seen it coming]. Then they show you their jewels and expensive homes in Hawaii, and the Amway helicopter that picks you up from your real job when you go Diamond -as your retirement kick off. :rofl:

They convince you that, since you are really helping them, it is okay to lie to your family, friends and acquaintances. You don't think you're lying but you are. You become so embedded in the lies that you start to believe it yourself. When I figured out the psychological tricks and numbers games used, I could no longer continue with a good conscience

It is a total sucker's game.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I also noticed after some time that most of their products are seriously over-priced and over-rated. When they branched out into stereos and such, they carried only the cheesiest brands.

Last edited:
but why Amway is still making money though many members failed

That's the whole point. Amway is making money; not most of the people doing it. They depend on the constant stream of new suckers.

how to climb up to diamond ?

You're better off starting your own business with your own money. Doing that part-time, while still keeping your day job.

Saint said:

Be a lying crook.

Okay I am missing one group. There are people who simply sell the products and then sponsor a few other people who do the same. This is done to provide a supplemental income. I never found this group to be anything but typically honest, hard working people.

Quixtar (sp) is the bastard child of amway.

Saint said:
It should be clear from Ivan's earlier posts: be good at motivating suckers to be suckers.

I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy one summer during college. Being an engineering student and a utility consultant (working for my dad), the guy giving the spiel said I'd be great at it. But the flashing red light in the back of my head motivated me to do a little research first. SCAM!

Direct pyramid schemes are illegal, and I don't see why these aren't cracked down on as well.

Amway is listed in malaysia stock market,
http://biz.thestar.com.my/marketwatch/charts/l.asp?code=6351~AMWAY&p1=6.65&p2=6.7&p3=6.7&p4=6.6&p5=6.65&p6=0&p7=0.00&p8=232&p9=22.082

Last edited by a moderator:
Two people who were the barest of acquaintances to me asked me this question: "Are you really satisfied with your job and your life?" The first time I thought it was just a friendly question, but it turned out to be the beginning of a pitch for Amway. Very little was said about the products they sell. But "Man, Mary Lou Retton spoke at the last seminar I went to!" And the motivational books and tapes--you got to watch them, friend.

The second time I was asked that question I should have remembered what was coming, but I didn't. ("Fool me twice...") But it turned out not to be a pitch for Amway membership. Nope. Instead it was the start of a pitch for Pre-paid Legal.

Another story...

My first flight on a commercial airliner was when I was 17. I was walking through my destination airport, the big one in Denver. This flower-child looking woman of about 25 walks up to me and says, "Hey, you are one great looking guy..." Now I was perfectly aware that I was not God's gift to the ladies in the looks department, so I knew right off the bat that something was fishy. It turned out that she wanted a donation in exchange for the book in her hand that looked like some sort of East Indian mystical stuff. Hare Krishna? Not sure. But I didn't sucker into buying it.

1. Who started AMWAY?

AMWAY was founded in 1959 by entrepreneurs Jay Van Andel and Rich DeVos.

2. Is AMWAY a pyramid scheme?

No, AMWAY is not a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are illegal and involve making money solely through recruiting others to join the company. AMWAY is a legitimate multi-level marketing company that sells a variety of products and allows individuals to earn income through both product sales and building a team of salespeople.

3. How do I become an AMWAY distributor?

To become an AMWAY distributor, you can either contact an existing distributor or visit the AMWAY website to find a local distributor to connect with. You will need to complete an application and pay a registration fee, which varies by country.

4. What products does AMWAY sell?

AMWAY sells a wide range of products, including health and wellness supplements, beauty and personal care products, household cleaning products, and home goods. They also offer a variety of brands, including Nutrilite, Artistry, and XS Energy.

5. How much money can I make with AMWAY?

The amount of money you can make with AMWAY depends on your individual efforts and sales. AMWAY offers various income streams, including retail sales, bonuses for building a team, and incentives for reaching certain sales goals. It is important to note that success with AMWAY, like any business, requires hard work, dedication, and a solid understanding of the company's products and sales strategies.