Who is in your profile picture?

• Thread starter dipole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, this person finds people's choice of their profile picture bemusing, and thinks that gender is interesting. They mention a few poems to describe how they feel. They say that this has been the case before, but can't remember when or how. They also say that they have a grumpy cat.

Who is in your profile picture?

• Total voters
dipole
I find some people's choice of their profile picture bemusing. I can never figure out who it's supposed to be, so I figured I'd make a poll out of curiosity. This only applies to people who have as a profile picture a human face, obviously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question! but I am not a cat.
A few days ago I realized that I don't have good feelings towards people self-identifying them as male or female in public places.

Silicon Waffle said:
A few days ago I realized that I don't have good feelings towards people self-identifying them as male or female in public places.

Problem bro? :DD

Likes Silicon Waffle
Myself.

Likes Amrator
Silicon Waffle said:

Would it be OK with you if I thought of you as a cat? Not a female or male cat - just a cat. I like cats very much, btw :biggrin:!

Gender is interesting. When I grew up, there were no options other than the body you were born into - no choices allowed. This worked out OK for me since I feel female and my body is female. I'm very glad the world is more flexible now when it comes to gender. Because not everyone is as lucky as I am, but they still deserve to be happy.

Oh but my profile. It's a forest nymph, my alter-ego.

Likes slider142, Silicon Waffle, Ryan_m_b and 1 other person
WannabeNewton said:
Myself.

Has anyone ever told you you bear a striking resemblance to Jimmy Page? And all this time I thought you were the enigmatic Sugarman..o_O

Sidney Paget's Holmes drawing colored in pshop.
Sherlock-Holmes-Experimenting-Watson-by-Sidney-Paget-1893.jpg

Likes Bandersnatch
Emmy Noether!

Author of the most beautiful theorem in physics, and totally awesome early 20th century woman of science, who had to do things like lecture under Hilbert's name, yet made huge contributions to abstract algebra and theoretical physics.
220px-Noether.jpg

Likes slider142, Astronuc and Evo
I love medieval history. This painting The Lady of Shalott is an 1888 oil-on-canvas painting by the English Pre-Raphaelite painter John William Waterhouse looks almost exactly like me when I was 20 years old. I have always loved medieval history. Tennyson wrote a poem in 1832 http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174626 about it. Although they are 19th century works, they are about medieval times.

q9t6febM0eeAfWBM82IsHNJ4eqgAhrSKvHe8Lqa_qgGwHYJZpuSaK6kGtgM=s1200.jpg

If i had to choose a poem though to describe how I feel, it would be
Sudden Light, by Dante Gabriel Rossetti, written around the same time.

I have been here before,
But when or how I cannot tell:
I know the grass beyond the door,
The sweet keen smell,
The sighing sound, the lights around the shore.

You have been mine before,—
How long ago I may not know:
But just when at that swallow's soar
Your neck turn'd so,
Some veil did fall,—I knew it all of yore.

Has this been thus before?
And shall not thus time's eddying flight
Still with our lives our love restore
In death's despite,
And day and night yield one delight once more?

Likes Bandersnatch, Silicon Waffle and lisab
I have no problem with the op. I was joking. :)). I have a collection of grumpy cats in my computer. That's one of them.

Silicon Waffle said:
I have a collection of grumpy cats in my computer.

That cat reminds me of Rhonda Rousey's game face...

http://www.wingsdailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ronda-Rousey-Game-Face-Female-MMA-UFC-650x340.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle
picture i took at a concert a couple of years ago...

1. Who is the person in your profile picture?

The person in my profile picture is me, the scientist answering these questions!

2. Why did you choose that picture for your profile?

I chose this picture because it accurately represents me as a scientist and also shows my personality and interests.

3. Is the picture taken at your workplace or in a specific laboratory?

No, the picture was taken outside of my workplace. I wanted to showcase my love for nature and the outdoors.

4. Are there any significant details in the picture that relate to your work or research?

Yes, in the background of the picture, you can see a telescope. This represents my work in astronomy and astrophysics.

5. Will you be changing your profile picture in the future?

Possibly, I may change my profile picture in the future if I find a more recent or relevant picture that accurately represents my current work and interests.