Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who is Iris Runge?

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1

arivero

Gold Member

While the collaborator of Sommerfeld appears in articles as "J. Runge", Einstein speaks of Iris Runge. Who is? She seems related to Carl Runge, and at the same time both seem to have some relationship with Runge-Kutta methods.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Iris Runge was Carl Runge's daughter. I don't know whether she was herself a mathematician but she did write a biography of Carl Runge (as well as one of Isaac Newton) and edit his collected works.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    Iris Runge (1888-1966) was one of the six children of Carl Runge (1856-1927), who eminently developped numerical analysis. He became in 1904 the first professor of applied mathematics in Germany.
    One of her sisters married the mathematician Richard Courant (1888-1972).
    As a student, Iris Runge was learned at Göttingen and Munich Universities. She studied vector analysis with the theoretical physicist Arnold Sommerfeld (1868-1951), and the numerical and graphical methods developped with her father.
    She took a teacher examination in mathematics, physics, and geography in 1913, and in chemistry in 1920. Her chemistry doctorate was prepared under Gustav Tamman (1861-1938).
    She worked in research laboratories of Osram and Telefunken from 1923 to 1945, where she was the only woman researcher in the valve laboratory. Her mathematical research contributed to improve the construction of radio valves.

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I love the woman already!!! Telefunkens are the sweetest pre-amp tubes, and are a perfect fit with my favorite guitar amps (Fenders, mostly).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?