Maths or Physics MSci: Who is More Employable?

• Thread starter brandon26
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the qualifications and potential job prospects for graduates with a Maths or Physics degree. The conclusion is that both degrees have similar academic qualities and can lead to a variety of job opportunities, depending on the specific field and individual skills. Joint courses in Maths and Physics may require more work, but not double the workload. Ultimately, the decision between the two degrees may come down to the individual's personality and other experiences, rather than the specific qualification.
brandon26
Say a Maths (MSci) and Physics (MSci) go to a job interview and the Mananger needs to decide between the two by their qualification.
Who would he chose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have much experience with this, but I think the question is too vauge to be answered. It depends on the job.

Definetly job dependent.

Say the job is "Bank Manager".

In that case it's going to boil down to something else than education.

inha said:
In that case it's going to boil down to something else than education.

Are you saying that Maths and Physics graduates have acadamically the same qualities?

Same qualities in the way that both are good at approaching problems in a systematic and logical manner. Naturally the fields of first hand knowledge vary (even interdisciplinary).

For the great majority of all jobs, the degree of either math or physics wouldn't be as important as possible other factors since they are *in broad lines* very alike (again, for most non-scientific jobs).

When you'd want to apply at an insurance office, mathematics (and statistics/probability in specific) would be better while physics would be better for a technical job at a company which designs lasers (these are merely examples...)

There really is no telling *in general* here.

Do you guys know abou joint courses. For example, I am thinking about doing a Maths AND Physics degree. Does this mean I have to work more at Univeristy?

Say I just finished my first year, would I have learned what a single Physics and Maths students learned, or is it 50% of each subject?

Although this probably differs from university to university, I expect it will be in between.
You will have more to do, but not double since many courses overlap.

It also depends on the interview. Unless you somehow turn into a robot when you get your B.S. degree, you'll still have your old habits. If you look confident and give a better presentation of yourself, you have a better chance of getting hired.

Neither math or physics is really applicable in a bank situation, right? I mean, you'll see numbers, but it's not the stuff you spent the last 4 years doing. It should be up to your personality and other experiences.

PL

That is a good point. I was just trying to find out which qualification is more valuable?

Neither. I talked to a guy who used to teach math at some Uni in California. He told me that with a degree that demands a lot of math (physics, math), you can get a job in any technical field pretty easily. They're not going to look at your resume and say "hrm... the math major knows advanced multivariable calculus (or some other high level math)... but the physics major knows quantum theory. Clearly, the physics major is a better choice" You won't use either in the job, yet both require similar skills.

PL

1. What is the difference between an MSci in Maths and in Physics?

An MSci in Maths focuses on the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, while an MSci in Physics focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Both degrees involve a strong emphasis on problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills.

2. Which degree is more in demand in the job market?

Both Maths and Physics are in high demand in the job market, as they are both highly quantitative fields that are applicable to a wide range of industries. Employers often value the problem-solving and analytical skills that are developed through studying these subjects.

3. Is there a difference in the types of jobs available to graduates with an MSci in Maths or Physics?

While there may be some differences in the specific job titles, both degrees can lead to careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, engineering, research, and teaching. In general, the skills and knowledge gained from either degree are highly transferable and can open doors to a variety of industries.

4. Are there any notable differences in salaries for graduates with an MSci in Maths or Physics?

Salaries can vary greatly depending on the specific job and industry, so it is difficult to make a direct comparison between the two degrees. However, both Maths and Physics are known to be highly valued by employers, and graduates from both programs can expect to earn competitive salaries.

5. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in research?

Both Maths and Physics can lead to careers in research, and the choice between the two may depend on your specific interests and strengths. Maths may be more suited for research in fields such as statistics, computer science, and economics, while Physics may be more relevant for research in areas such as astronomy, materials science, and particle physics.