Who is the smartest of them all?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of determining who is the most capable among engineers, physicists, mathematicians, and philosophers. It is mentioned that this is a meaningless and pointless poll, and one person expresses their love for bait. The conversation ends with the equation for calculating the difficulty of a particular discipline.

Which Academic persuit is the most demanding to master?

• Engineering

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Mathematics

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Physics

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Philosophy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phrenology

• Philately

• Astrology

• Biology

• Spelling (it is pursuit, not persuit, isn't it?)

• Total voters
Nikitin
Who is the most capable of them all?

It is time to break the taboos, abandon all courtesy and let loose all forms of restraint. The winner must be decided, so let it begin.

Who is all-round better, cooler and most useful for society?

The engineer?
The physicists?
The mathematician?
Or the philosopher?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. I've seen some meaningless and pointless polls on this forum before. This one has got to be near the top of that list.

Ooops.. did I just say that one out loud?

Zz.

I voted.

ZapperZ said:
Wow. I've seen some meaningless and pointless polls on this forum before. This one has got to be near the top of that list.

+1 on that !

Nikitin said:
Who is all-round better and most useful for society?

The arrogant engineer?
The solitary physicists?
The obsessed mathematician?
Or the absent-minded philosopher?

Easy, Archimedes. A mathematical philosopher of physics and its real world application in war.

attachment.php?attachmentid=61436&d=1378265553.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=61437&d=1378265553.jpg

:rofl:

ZapperZ said:

Ooops.. did I just say that one out loud?

Zz.

You took that bait.

Akaisora said:
You took that bait.

Why not? I love baits, especially if they use sardines! Those are yummy!

Zz.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
I voted.
Just to spite you, I just voted for all the options for which you did not vote.

The difficulty, D, of any particular discipline is:

[tex]D = \frac{\ln(R)\coth(\frac{C-P}{G})}{(.9P + .1I)} [/tex]

where
P is the student's propensity to work (persperation)
I is the student's innate understanding of the subject (inspiration)
R is the work load generated by the class
C is the instantaneous competency of the department's faculty
G is the social congruence of the pedagogical negotiation between student and faculty.

Closed.

Likes 1 person

1. Who is considered the smartest person in the world?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on different criteria. Some people may consider individuals such as Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking as the smartest, while others may argue for people like Leonardo da Vinci or Marie Curie. It is important to note that intelligence cannot be accurately measured and there is no definitive answer to who is the smartest person in the world.

2. Can intelligence be accurately measured?

Intelligence is a complex concept and cannot be accurately measured by a single test or metric. There are different types of intelligence and no one test or measure can fully capture someone's intelligence. Additionally, factors such as education, life experiences, and cultural background can also affect one's intelligence, making it difficult to measure accurately.

3. Is intelligence inherited?

There is evidence to suggest that genetics can play a role in intelligence, but it is not the sole determining factor. Other factors such as environment, education, and experiences also contribute to one's intelligence. While some people may have a genetic predisposition for higher intelligence, it is not a guarantee and can be influenced by many other factors.

4. Can intelligence change over time?

Yes, intelligence can change over time. While genetics may play a role in one's intelligence, it is not the only factor. Factors such as education, experiences, and even age can all impact one's intelligence. For example, someone who receives a good education and has a variety of life experiences may increase their intelligence over time.

5. Can animals be considered intelligent?

Yes, animals can be considered intelligent. While they may not possess the same type of intelligence as humans, they have their own unique abilities and ways of problem-solving. Some animals have been shown to exhibit complex behaviors and problem-solving skills, indicating a level of intelligence. However, it is difficult to compare animal intelligence to human intelligence as they are fundamentally different.