Who is the smartest person alive today?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
Why not? I don't think someone who is only able to absorb knowledge and not apply it is very smart.
And that's what you think.

And that's what you think.
Of course, do you think your definition of 'smart' is universal?

Of course, do you think your definition of 'smart' is universal?
Not really. Most of the people I personally know that would be considered exceptionally intelligent, are very universal. To me, the word smart is a very defined word. Implying that one who is smart is exceptionally knowledgeable. One who is smart, it not necessarily intelligent.

Last edited:
Actually, i'll take that word knowledgeable back. It implies cognitive abilities that what I consider smart, don't posses. Peek being an example.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Playing the definition card is useless. Most people get obscenely irritated when people ask them to define terms but it is only natural if a conversation is to remain coherent that everyone knows exactly what they're talking about. So much time is wasted over minutiae if terms are not defined. B. Elliot made his point and thats that. This thread is ancient so I doubt we'll get to see what the OP actually meant by smart.

turbo
Gold Member
I used to work with an engineer that was very intelligent, but he wasn't too smart. He could think things through to arrive at "logically" workable solutions, but he lacked the ability to parse those into practical applications. He cost my company many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Evo
Mentor
I believe the OP died of cancer.

Playing the definition card is useless. Most people get obscenely irritated when people ask them to define terms but it is only natural if a conversation is to remain coherent that everyone knows exactly what they're talking about. So much time is wasted over minutiae if terms are not defined. B. Elliot made his point and thats that. This thread is ancient so I doubt we'll get to see what the OP actually meant by smart.
Thankyou Kurdt. This thread definitely taught me that there are many interpretations of the words smart and intelligence. I also now fully sympathize with my father for what he went through during my toddler years.:smile:

Bill Gates, perhaps, because he is smart enough to realise you can make money out of this "microcomputer" thing.
You, I, and everyone else realizes that as well.

He is certainly the most successful in terms of getting rich, which is how success is normally measured in the modern, capitalist world.
The question is who is the smartest person alive today, not who is the richest person alive today.

HMMMMMMM, I would consider Stephen Hawking.
He's just dumb and never produced anything useful.

To answer your question : any guy that was able to build up a lucrative business/activity starting from very limited means.

marlon