Who Is This Little Nazi Wannabe? (Galliano)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/03/05/france.dior.galliano.show/index.html?hpt=C2

CNN said:
Paris -- For the past week British designer John Galliano has rarely been out of the headlines following his alleged anti-semitic rant at a couple in a Parisian bar.

But Galliano's final couture show Friday for Maison Dior was notable for the complete absence of one thing -- any mention of his name.

Dior Couture's President Sidney Toledano did refer to Galliano during an emotional address to the assembled fashionistas before the show began. But even then he did not utter his name, distancing it from that of the fashion house.

"It has been deeply painful to see the Dior name associated with the disgraceful statements attributed to its designer, however brilliant he may be" was the closest Toledano came.

Toledano also reminded the audience that Christian Dior, founder of the fashion house, had seen his own sister sent to the Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald during the Second World War.

Galliano had been completely forgotten by the end of his speech, which paid tribute to the company's seamstresses and craftsmen who he said are "the heart of the House of Dior, which beats unseen."

As the catwalk show got underway, the sidewalk show outside the Musee Rodin continued as onlookers mingled with paparazzi and the TV news crews barred from the event inside. There were mutterings about the low celebrity turnout.

I've never heard of this guy, and now this freakish looking man turns out to be a true freak? So... I get that he's a fashion designer of some kind, but why is this such news? Isn't he just another anti-semite with few brains and a lot of talk?

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Well, he said some rather outrageous things like "your grandparents should have been gassed" topping it off with "I love Hitler".

He is saying that he was provoked into making those remarks.

Now, if he did meet some ogres who meant something like that all the palestinians deserve to die, I guess those remarks above might be an example of hitting back (without him actually meaning it). That is, almost, but not quite, defensible.

Without such a context, it is difficult to see him as anything other than a rabid anti-semite.

i think what i read elsewhere on him is that he's been on a downhill slide into being a constant drunk.

Well, he said some rather outrageous things like "your grandparents should have been gassed" topping it off with "I love Hitler".

He is saying that he was provoked into making those remarks.

Now, if he did meet some ogres who meant something like that all the palestinians deserve to die, I guess those remarks above might be an example of hitting back (without him actually meaning it). That is, almost, but not quite, defensible.

Without such a context, it is difficult to see him as anything other than a rabid anti-semite.

Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of that angle, although "I love Hitler" still would be pure hate. It does seem that he's as strange on the inside as he is outside... how odd, usually it's not that way with celebrities.

i think what i read elsewhere on him is that he's been on a downhill slide into being a constant drunk.

Ahhh... "In Vino, Verita."... the original oral lubricant does tend to bring out the nasty side of those who abuse it.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of that angle, although "I love Hitler" still would be pure hate. It does seem that he's as strange on the inside as he is outside... how odd, usually it's not that way with celebrities.
Well, I would be mightily pissed off if somebody made a deeply offensive remark to me along the lines: "I understand why you adore Yassir Arafat, him playing about with litte boys"

Galliano is gay, and there have been quite strong rumours (probably untrue) that Arafat had an unhealthy penchant for underage boys.

If some truly malevolent comment like that was fired at Galliano, I sort of can understand if he went totally berserk verbally.

My response had, hopefully, been physical, rather than verbal, against somebody truly deserving to get a fist into his or her face.

Or, Galliano might just be a disgusting anti-semite through-and-through.

I don't know, and don't particularly care.

Well, I would be mightily pissed off if somebody made a deeply offensive remark to me along the lines: "I understand why you adore Yassir Arafat, him playing about with litte boys"

Galliano is gay, and there have been quite strong rumours (probably untrue) that Arafat had an unhealthy penchant for underage boys.

If some truly malevolent comment like that was fired at Galliano, I sort of can understand if he went totally berserk verbally.

My response had, hopefully, been physical, rather than verbal, against somebody truly deserving to get a fist into his or her face.

Or, Galliano might just be a disgusting anti-semite through-and-through.

I don't know, and don't particularly care.

See, this is why I asked; I would never have considered those angles, but still, I can see why caring wouldn't be a serious endevour. Thank you for educating me, despite the obvious triviality.

Ahhh... "In Vino, Verita."... the original oral lubricant does tend to bring out the nasty side of those who abuse it.

http://maxblumenthal.com/feeling-the-hate-in-jerusalem/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
http://maxblumenthal.com/feeling-the-hate-in-jerusalem/" [Broken]

I wish it took booze to get that reaction from people... Sad, but there it is.

Hatred, bigots, and ideolgoues are so dangerous because every group is filled with them.

I have to ask though... do you think that I'm blind to what Israel does? I may support actions you find abhorrent, but I'm aware that of just what they are. You don't need to remind me that this is an ongoing blood-feud, I know; that I take sides sometimes doesn't change my objectivity. I'm that "authoritarian pragmatist" that is so loathed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish it took booze to get that reaction from people... Sad, but there it is.

Hatred, bigots, and ideolgoues are so dangerous because every group is filled with them.

I have to ask though... do you think that I'm blind to what Israel does? I may support actions you find abhorrent, but I'm aware that of just what they are. You don't need to remind me that this is an ongoing blood-feud, I know; that I take sides sometimes doesn't change my objectivity. I'm that "authoritarian pragmatist" that is so loathed.

it's not just you. it's a general bias in our society. how does something like that get censored? how are threats against the president by US citizens not news? why are some people protected and others are always the personification of evil? it's annoying.

it's not just you. it's a general bias in our society. how does something like that get censored? how are threats against the president by US citizens not news? why are some people protected and others are always the personification of evil? it's annoying.

The only answer I've ever had is: "people are stupid, and they like it that way."

People don't like to take sides unless they feel it's absolutely right, most people also hate cognitive dissonance.

The result?... lonely people who think about more than one side of an issue. I won't lie, it's upsetting to see that behavior, but it's good to see it too.

Borek
Mentor

Depends, I start to giggle.

Depends, I start to giggle.

You? With the sparkly green wig? Naaaaah. :wink:

It's strange, I SIP alcohol an I go red in the face, but it takes a monstrous amount to get me drunk. I'm definitley more of a laugher when drunk, and I start to talk about QM Interpreations with friends who hate it... and I'm drunk and a layperson... fabulous combo. :rofl:

edit: Actually... I think you giggling might BE 'Veritas'... you're a friendly guy.

Galliano is a high profile member in the society as being a 'king' designer of fashion whose designs and creativity in the field have shaped the direction of, presumably, a multi-million or multi-billion dollar enterprise which powers other high profile industries and so on. With that much influence comes more responsibility and obligation to be professorial.

Why does this make news?

In a sense it's to celebrate a triumph over some racist fringe of society. Galliano's career has been crushed, contracts canceled, image reduced to zero. People flock in curiosity to read more about it. The news outlet makes alot of money.

Galliano is a high profile member in the society as being a 'king' designer of fashion whose designs and creativity in the field have shaped the direction of, presumably, a multi-million or multi-billion dollar enterprise which powers other high profile industries and so on. With that much influence comes more responsibility and obligation to be professorial.

Why does this make news?

In a sense it's to celebrate a triumph over some racist fringe of society. Galliano's career has been crushed, contracts canceled, image reduced to zero. People flock in curiosity to read more about it. The news outlet makes alot of money.

True... I take some grim satisfaction in this, I won't lie, and I never heard of the man before this.

How might the Nazis have entertained a fashion designer, even if his projects were kitsch?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How might the Nazis have entertained a fashion designer, even if his projects were kitsch?

I had the same thought, especially since he's gay (written in an earlier post). Like Nismar, I've never heard of this guy.

I had the same thought, especially since he's gay (written in an earlier post). Like Nismar, I've never heard of this guy.

Hmmm... I hadn't considered that... what an odd affiliation.

I suspect they'd have treated him to a bullet in the neck, or some of InteressenGemeinschaft Farben AG's fine Zyclon B...

True... I take some grim satisfaction in this, I won't lie, and I never heard of the man before this.

I've never been aware of Galliano's existence either if it wasn't for mass media.

I guess there is some fundamental law of networks that allows for some things to go viral and others not.

I've never been aware of Galliano's existence either if it wasn't for mass media.

I guess there is some fundamental law of networks that allows for some things to go viral and others not.

I think anytime someone proclaims a love of Hitler, and is involved in a major industry... that seems to do the trick.

Still, I'm glad it's not just me who has no clue that this man existed until this story. I thought it was just another sign of being painfully out of touch with pop-"culture"

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Well, from what I know, the designer of the original grey SS uniforms was gay. It shows..

DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
Like Nismar, I've never heard of this guy.

I've never been aware of Galliano's existence either

Still, I'm glad it's not just me who has no clue that this man existed until this story. I thought it was just another sign of being painfully out of touch with pop-"culture"

You guys didn’t miss one thing, unless you’re an Haute couture freak or really gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V6vAVYJuQ

DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
Well, from what I know, the designer of the original grey SS uniforms was gay. It shows..

Isn’t it proven that Hitler was a coprophile and (probably) gay?

DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
Ahhh... "In Vino, Verita."...

The truth!? I LOVE Galliano!! :!!)

316px-Galliano-and-glass.jpg

I.e. Italian liqueur

OmCheeto
Gold Member
You guys didn’t miss one thing, unless you’re an Haute couture freak or really gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V6vAVYJuQ

I want those 3 minutes back. :mad:

Are you sure that video wasn't something the Onion put together?

ps. My mom liked Hitler too. And I'm sure wouldn't have minded all the Jews being gassed. She also hated the Poles. They stole her land. She also hated America. We destroyed her country. This was the last thing she said to her 7 children at the last Christmas dinner before she passed away 18 years ago. We collectively looked around at each other, said nothing, but I'm sure were all thinking; "Yup, she's gone over the edge."

My guess is that Galliano just wants to be noticed. Outside of the couture freak, Liberace gay scene, of course.

pps. (hic!)