Who is your favorite poet?

• Thread starter SixNein
  • Start date
SixNein
Gold Member
Actually, this summer, a group was invited to perform poetry for the program I was teaching in. It was amazing, to say the least! I've heard authors of poetry do readings, but it was never so exciting and amazing as that group actually performing it. I'll give them a little plug, because they were so great, and because they do these performances for school groups of all ages. Their website is www.poetryalive.com There are some video clips there of some excerpts from performances. The one I saw was done by Ken and Nadine (though I think they said they're retiring this year :frown:).
Nice

I think poetry gets a bad rap. Some of the best writing ever is in poetry.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For some reason, poetry always seems better when the author reads it. I was hoping more people would post videos of their favourite poets reading a poem.
Here's Wallace Stevens reading my favorite poem of his, "Idea of Order at Key West." To me it is an "answer poem" to his "Connoisseur of Chaos." In a weird way, I always thought he was aware of fractals a few decades ahead of Mandelbrot.

Unfortunately, I don't think Wallace reads his own poetry very well--far too many pauses.

Last edited by a moderator:
SixNein
Gold Member
Here's Wallace Stevens reading my favorite poem of his, "Idea of Order at Key West." To me it is an "answer poem" to his "Connoisseur of Chaos." In a weird way, I always thought he was aware of fractals a few decades ahead of Mandelbrot.

Unfortunately, I don't think Wallace reads his own poetry very well--far too many pauses.
Ha ha ha well... i guess they all can't be winners.

Thomas reading "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Goodnight"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyWiE1vNSxU

Edgar Allen Poe...although Chaucer does make me laugh a bit. Zoobyshoe has also written some pretty cool things on PF, and the Little Lizard Poem thread is filled with talent :biggrin: