Who is your favorite SciFi character?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scifi
In summary, my favorite SciFi character is Spock. I also like G'Kar, Nightcrawler, and the Seventh Doctor from the New Adventures series of books. My favorite SciFi character of all time is Futarama's Bender.
Q from early star trek is interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a pre teen when Star Trek first came out in the 60's who eagerly awaited each episode with it's amazing special effects etc., the answer is obvious - Spock.

TOS is timeless and a classic, my middle daughter (2 of 3 or 4 of 5) is 17 and a Trekkie - I have the bluray set of TOS & we watch a few episodes when we get a chance. She tried not to show it, but she was visibly upset at Leonard Nimoy's recent passing.

Glenstr said:
As a pre teen when Star Trek first came out in the 60's who eagerly awaited each episode with it's amazing special effects etc...
Lol... I was the same.When we got FTTP, our ISP also included a free Roku 3 as part of the deal...

We can now stream Netflix over our TV... every episode of TOS is available, and I usually watch 4 or 5 each night, not necessarily in order, though.

No commercials, either... :oldbiggrin:

The Tholian Web was the last one I watched, last night... one of my favorites. :oldwink:

It was first broadcast on November 15, 1968, and I was 19 years old... lol

McCartney said:
7 of 9 and T'pol
Haha nice choice you missed Kaylee from firefly.

My favorite would have to be Rodney McKay from Atlantis.
With the doctor from Voyager coming in a close second the Photonic cannon and his love confession to Seven was epic.

Jean-Luc Picard:smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Who is your favorite SciFi character? Personally I can't pick one! I have to pick three! :D

Spock (Star Trek)
WALL-E (WALL-E)
Nightcrawler (X-Men)
R Daneel Olivaw

Q from Star Trek
7 of 9 from Star Trek
Captain Picard from Star Trek
Fry from Futurama
Ripley from Alien
Master Chief from Halo
The Flood from Halo
Terminator from Terminator
Optimus Prime from Transformers
Dr Strangelove from Dr Stangelove
Dr Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters
Carol from The Walking Dead

Professor Farnsworth of Futurama. He's funny.

Runner up is the Lost in Space robot. Danger Will Robinson!

Gort was the strong silent type. Lacking dialog, but had stage presence.

When I was a teenager I was quite fond of Ashe, Fox, Murdock and the bunch of explorers from Andre Norton's Time Traders series because they were brave, forthright, smart and adaptive. I was always some disappointed she didn't continue the plot line and fell deeper into "Sword and Sorcery". Once I hit college I found heroes far more complex, adult and real. The most memorable for me are by two authors, Poul Anderson and Larry Niven.

Poul Anderson created two very similar characters in Dominic Flandry and Nicolas Van Rijn. They are not entirely likeable and most certainly not 2-dimensional cardboard cutout heroes but they are completely unapologetic, a bit ruthless and manipulative but basically good-hearted, highly intelligent and fiercely alive.

Somewhat similar is Larry Niven's Louis Wu who due to the longevity possible from "the spice" has realized that Mother Nature is done with him since he is past reproducing offspring and he concludes "out to kill him". He, too, fights fiercely to both stay and be alive (after a decade or so of escapism on "the wire") and "will not go gentle into that sweet night". Wu benefits also from being part of such a vast concept and "what if?" view and storyline world that is Ringworld but is such a fully fleshed-out person he would stand out in almost any story.

Video characters leave less room for "reading in" and so for me are a little harder to maintain a clear image over many years of who they are and/or represent but Picard and Data, for very different reasons, do come close. Of course, Seven of Nine and T'Pol are extremely memorable but mainly because they are just so damned HOT! :P

Pichaku

In no particular order: [1] Tom Baker [2] Dr Spock [3] The Mule (in Foundation & Empire) [4] Robbie the Robot [5] Pink Eyes (in Dragon's Egg) [6] If there were a characterful onboard ship's cat called Schrodinger, that'll be on the shortlist for my favourite SciFi quadruped.

Peggy Carter. She's dreamy.