Who is Your Favourite Composer?

• Thread starter Jow
  • Start date
Jow
I am in high school and I just recently finished my sixteenth trip around the sun. While listening to music the other day I started to think about how very little I care for the music my peers listen to. So, I decided to start thinking about my favourite composers. I think my favourites have to be Beethoven, Schubert and Tchaikovsky.

Who are your favourite composers?

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member
Bach is my favorite, hands-down. I like the mathematical precision of his work, including the restatements and inversions.

phion
Gold Member
Debussy, Chopin, Ravel.

jtbell
Mentor
I started listening to classical music around age 16 myself. Now I have to keep track of my collection with a database. My Top 10 composers according to total length of recordings are... cue mysql...

Sibelius
Beethoven
Haydn
Bach
Mozart
Nielsen
Brahms
Grieg
Mahler
Wagner

Wagner's position is boosted artificially by the sheer length of his operas, so let's add the next entry:

Dvorak

Schubert and Tchaikovsky are in my second ten.

for more modern music I like:

Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan and the Beatles not necessarily in that order.

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
for more modern music I like:

Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan and the Beatles not necessarily in that order.
Yeah Bob Dylan!

I am in high school and I just recently finished my sixteenth trip around the sun. While listening to music the other day I started to think about how very little I care for the music my peers listen to. So, I decided to start thinking about my favourite composers. I think my favourites have to be Beethoven, Schubert and Tchaikovsky.

Who are your favourite composers?
Ludwig van, Wolfgang Gottlieb. No surprises here.

This is a 720p/1080p youtube channel with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra from Concertgebouw, Amsterdam. Decent selection for getting your feet wet. All the composers listed are linked from the above page. There are more composers listed in the channel.

Felix Mendelssohn continues to resonate with me. Current favorite.

Everyone knows:
Mozart
Bach
Beethoven

Friend Recommeneded:
Rachmaninoff
Tchaikovsky

Went Exploring a little deeper:
Sibelius
Stravinsky
Haydn
DeBussy

I was really big into Claude Debussy for a while. Then I shifted to Jean Sibelius. I guess who I listen to really depends on what I am doing or the mood I'm in.

Does anyone have any classical music youtube channel recommendations?

All time favorite: Johann Sebastian Bach. Then Purcell, Vivaldi, Haendel, Rameau, Lully and Mozart.