Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who is Your Favourite Composer?

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1

Jow

I am in high school and I just recently finished my sixteenth trip around the sun. While listening to music the other day I started to think about how very little I care for the music my peers listen to. So, I decided to start thinking about my favourite composers. I think my favourites have to be Beethoven, Schubert and Tchaikovsky.

Who are your favourite composers?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Bach is my favorite, hands-down. I like the mathematical precision of his work, including the restatements and inversions.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3

phion

Gold Member

Debussy, Chopin, Ravel.

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I started listening to classical music around age 16 myself. Now I have to keep track of my collection with a database. My Top 10 composers according to total length of recordings are... cue mysql...

Sibelius
    Beethoven
    Haydn
    Bach
    Mozart
    Nielsen
    Brahms
    Grieg
    Mahler
    Wagner

Wagner's position is boosted artificially by the sheer length of his operas, so let's add the next entry:

Dvorak

Schubert and Tchaikovsky are in my second ten.

6. Feb 7, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

for more modern music I like:

Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan and the Beatles not necessarily in that order.

7. Feb 8, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Yeah Bob Dylan!

8. Feb 8, 2013 #7
    Ludwig van, Wolfgang Gottlieb. No surprises here.

9. Feb 8, 2013 #8
    This is a 720p/1080p youtube channel with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra from Concertgebouw, Amsterdam. Decent selection for getting your feet wet. All the composers listed are linked from the above page. There are more composers listed in the channel.

Felix Mendelssohn continues to resonate with me. Current favorite.

Everyone knows:
    Mozart
    Bach
    Beethoven

Friend Recommeneded:
    Rachmaninoff
    Tchaikovsky

Went Exploring a little deeper:
    Sibelius
    Stravinsky
    Haydn
    DeBussy

I was really big into Claude Debussy for a while. Then I shifted to Jean Sibelius. I guess who I listen to really depends on what I am doing or the mood I'm in.

Does anyone have any classical music youtube channel recommendations?

10. Feb 8, 2013 #9
    All time favorite: Johann Sebastian Bach. Then Purcell, Vivaldi, Haendel, Rameau, Lully and Mozart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook