Who Benefited Most from the Assassination of Rafik Hariri?

• News
  • Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
In summary, Eric Margolis discusses the murder of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri and the various suspects and motives behind the crime. He suggests that a Syrian role in the assassination is unlikely, as it would not benefit their current efforts to improve relations with the US and Israel. Margolis also points to other potential suspects, such as anti-Syrian Maronites, Israel's Mossad, or Syrian and Lebanese Islamists. He notes that the professional expertise of the bombing points to a state intelligence agency, and speculates about Israel's possible involvement in order to bring Lebanon back into its sphere of influence. The White House, following the advice of Israel's Likud Party, is using the assassination as a pretext to pressure Syria and
SOS2008
Gold Member
http://www.ericmargolis.com/archives/2005/02/who_killed_rafi.php by Eric Margolis, Foreign Correspondent, Defense Analyst & Columnist, and author of “War At The Top Of The World” posted “WHO KILLED RAFIK HARIRI?” on February 21, 2005:

“…A Syrian role in the crime defies logic, though not possibility. President Bashar- el-Asad’s besieged regime is desperately seeking to avoid providing the hostile Bush Administration with a pretext for war, and has urgently sought improved relations with both the US and Israel. … Hariri dealt comfortably with Syria for years. Though reportedly privately against the continued presence of 15,000 Syrian `peacekeeping’ troops in Lebanon, Hariri was not a major threat to Damascus and kept mum about their troops presence.

Suspicion points at Lebanon’s far rightist, anti-Syrian Maronites; Israel’s Mossad; or Syrian or Lebanese Islamists. All had interest in destabilizing Lebanon and hurting Syria. Other suspects: rogue elements from one of Syria’s many competing security agencies; and business rivals of billionaire Hariri, who was a brilliant but ruthless entrepreneur.

The professional expertise of the bombing strongly suggests a state intelligence agency. …PM Sharon’s rightist Likud Party may be renewing previous efforts to bring Lebanon back into Israel’s sphere of influence. For the past quarter century, Syria and Israel have waged a dirty war of bombings and assassinations to dominate Lebanon and Jordan. The White House, following Likud’s advice, is hoping its threats and economic siege of Syria will provoke the overthrow of the Asad regime.

…Many Syrians would like to be rid of the Asad regime and US-imposed economic sanctions, but fear sudden change will produce chaos or civil war.

…Israel would welcome Syria’s implosion, as it did Iraq’s. Hence current Israeli efforts to press the White House and Congress to overthrow Syria’s unloved, isolated regime, whose only ally is Iran, itself a leading target on America’s Mideast hit list.”

No this doesn’t sound like anything that can be attributed to Bush’s brilliance or theory of spreading democracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who benefits, and how?

Since when are terrorists logical?

Syria has been assassinating it's opponents in Lebanon for years. Give me a break.

What about Israel?
Who murdered Elie Hubiaka (one of the most well known Lebanese Maronite leaders) in 2002? Who murdered Dani Shimon and his family in 1990, Toni Frenjiah and his family 1978, Rashid Karami 1989.?

Who murdered most the political leaders of the Palestinian resistance?

I do not say that Syrian government is wonderful, but the last thing the Syrian want in this time is murdering Hariri and focusing on Lebanon, because they all already under huge American/Israeli pressure.

Sine the invasion of Iraq, USA looking for more reasons to starts new wars especially against Syria and Iran. I do not think they are so stupid to give excuses for destruction of their countries.

kat said:
Syria has been assassinating it's opponents in Lebanon for years. Give me a break.

Bilal said:
What about Israel?
Who murdered Elie Hubiaka (one of the most well known Lebanese Maronite leaders) in 2002? Who murdered Dani Shimon and his family in 1990, Toni Frenjiah and his family 1978, Rashid Karami 1989.?

Who murdered most the political leaders of the Palestinian resistance?

I do not say that Syrian government is wonderful, but the last thing the Syrian want in this time is murdering Hariri and focusing on Lebanon, because they all already under huge American/Israeli pressure.

Sine the invasion of Iraq, USA looking for more reasons to starts new wars especially against Syria and Iran. I do not think they are so stupid to give excuses for destruction of their countries.
I believe some of these other murders are mentioned in the posted article.

With regard to starting this thread, I had been wondering why the Syrians would assassinate Hariri, and it certainly seemed odd to me that they would do such a thing at this time. One has to ask who does this benefit most?

It gets back to the some questions I had when Bush was trying to connect 9-11 to Saddam to justify U.S. actions. The assassination just hasn't made sense.

1. Who is Rafik Hariri?

Rafik Hariri was a Lebanese billionaire and politician who served as the Prime Minister of Lebanon from 1992 to 1998 and again from 2000 until his assassination in 2005.

2. What happened to Rafik Hariri?

Rafik Hariri was assassinated on February 14, 2005 in a bombing in Beirut, Lebanon. He was killed along with 21 others and over 220 people were injured in the attack.

3. Who is responsible for the death of Rafik Hariri?

The Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) has indicted four members of the Hezbollah militant group for the assassination of Rafik Hariri. However, Hezbollah denies any involvement in the attack and the case is still ongoing.

4. Why was Rafik Hariri targeted for assassination?

Many believe that Rafik Hariri was targeted for assassination due to his opposition to Syrian influence in Lebanon and his support for the Cedar Revolution, a movement calling for the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon.

5. Has anyone been convicted for the assassination of Rafik Hariri?

No one has been convicted for the assassination of Rafik Hariri yet. The STL has indicted four members of Hezbollah, but the trial is still ongoing and a verdict has not been reached.