Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Who killed this person ?

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    Who killed this person !?

Libyan authorities announced on May 10, 2009, that Al Libi had committed suicide in his prison cell.

Ibn al Sheikh al Libi was a Libyan paramilitary trainer for al Qaeda. He ran al Qaeda’s Khaldan camp in Afghanistan and was captured by Pakistani officials at the end of 2001 or beginning of 2002 as he attempted to flee Afghanistan following the U.S. invasion.

After being captured and interrogated by U.S. and Egyptian forces, the information he gave was cited by the Bush Administration in the months preceding the 2003 invasion of Iraq as evidence of a connection between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/05/14/monitor/entry5013415.shtml

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mohd_adam! :smile:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Shaykh_al-Libi#Repatriation_to_Libya_and_death it seems he was sent to Libya in 2006 …
    and he was suffering from tuberculosis.

If he didn't commit suicide, then the Libyans must have killed him … why would they do that?

btw, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Shaykh_al-Libi#Interrogation

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Who killed this person !?

Because otherwise he might have leaked information that the whole Irag-Al Queda thing was a lie. That would embarrass (ex)President Bush and mean that Gadaffi wouldn't get invited to Texas for a barbecue.

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But the USA itself has already stated that Al Libi's information was a lie …

see the quotation in blue above.

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what they want you to think.....

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6

Hi tiny-tim,
    If Libya announced that this person died , maybe i will believe. But Libya announced that he committed suicide!!!
    As i know, the members of Al Qaeda impossible to commit suicide. This person was tortured in Egypt , and the information he gave under torture helped Bush to attack Iraq.

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? :confused: what about suicide bombings by Al Qaeda?
    Yes, the information he gave helped Bush to attack Iraq, and it was false information.

But he seems to have given it deliberately, not because of pressure, to get Bush to kill plenty of Iraqis.

9. Jun 29, 2009 #8

members of Al Qaeda when they explodethemselves , they consider that fighting not suicide.

I will tell you the story of the film :

Mubarak ( dictator Egypt ) wanted to give power to his son Gamal , so the egyptians tortured Ibn al Sheikh al Libi very very strong.. Ibn al Sheikh al Libi told this information only to stop torture. Mubarak used this information to help Bush because he wanted Bush to help him to make his son as a president.

10. Jun 29, 2009 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm :redface: … from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mubarak
    Gamal Mubarak can't be president until Hosni Mubarak's term ends, which was always going to be long after Bush's term ended …

so how could Bush ever have helped make Gamal president? :rolleyes:

11. Jun 30, 2009 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl:

12. Jul 1, 2009 #11

I just love Gaddafi's speeches. Especially the ones at Arab Summits. He has a certain...style, that no one else can match.

13. Jul 2, 2009 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can only imagine that he either refused to show any of his own work, or engaged in some overly speculative posts. :biggrin:

14. Jul 2, 2009 #13

This would constitute a conspiracy. I've been informed by some medium-sized sticks on PF that people do not conspire. Please refrain from believing otherwise. We are watching.

15. Jul 2, 2009 #14

How long had he been imprisoned in Libya? A few years?

Wikipedia:
    "The head of the Washington office of Human Rights Watch stated al-Libi was "Exhibit A" in hearings on the relationship between pre-Iraq war false intelligence and torture. Confirmation of al-Libi's location came two weeks prior to his death. An independent investigation of his death has been requested by Human Rights Watch."

How long had he been imprisoned in Libya? He dies two weeks after the "Confirmation" of his location. Confirmed by who? By Human Rights Watch? Who else would "confirm" his location? The Wikipedia writers are unclear. This short time span to his death relative to his apparent duration of internment I find suspicious. Did I smell the faint odor of Dr. Kevorkian passing by?

Am I on the right tack or reading too much into too little? There's not much to go on...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. Jul 5, 2009 #15
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook