Who knew water could age you millions of years?

In summary: Its just a theory, but its an interesting one.In summary, a biblical commentary claims that during the time of Noah and the flood there were dinosaurs-like animals. The flood waters contained sulfur, and when these speicies perished in the flood, the sulfur aged their bones quite a few years.
flippy
Who knew water could age you millions of years??

There are many of you out there who don't believe that the world is millions of years old. But then how do u explain the fossils that archaeologists have been digging up? Of course there's the theory that days were much longer then. There are also a few others.
Well this is cool: I believe there is a biblical commentary which states that during the time of Noah and the flood there were in fact dinosaur-like animals. The flood waters contained sulfur and when these speicies perished in the flood, the sulphur aged their bones quite a few years. Hey, it works.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sulfur ages bones?

Well the water must have loaded everything with the correct amount of carbon-14 to making everything differently aged :rolleyes:

flippy,
I've been reading a few of your posts, and I can tell that you represent the worst of the bible thumping, Fox News watching, warmongering Christian right. That would be completely fine with me on this board, if you weren't telling all out lies, with no supporting evidence whatsoever. People here are rational thinkers, and if you expect them to believe that silly hypothesis, you must be on drugs. Don't try to make the bible "tie in" with scientifically derived fact, because it will never be possible.

Its been proven, do your research, you are just not educated enough. See you have a very old school mindset, because the latest research has shown that science functions in sync with the bible. And no I don't watch Fox news, I look into all the major media oulets and I have a mind of my own. And I am not Christian either. You could either be well educated in bible or science but it's certainly not both. Now go do your research.

Hey folks, no personal attacks and no religion. Keep it strictly a scienctific discussion and we can continue.

Its been proven, do your research, you are just not educated enough.
Please link to this particular research. Sounds like a rather huge breakthrough in atomic physics, if sulphur (or maybe we should rename it dilithium?) can influence the nuclear decay of various radioisotopes...

Amazing that only the dinosaur bones were aged, the human and other present day animals that lived at that time were somehow left unaffected.

Animals existing millions of years ago does not contradict the Bible. The Hebrew word for "day" does not really mean a day as we know it, it simply means an interval of time. (I know I said this already in another topic)

Also there is mention of "beasts" outside of the Garden of Eden. Although I don't know if there is Biblical support for it, I'll have to check. Sorry if I'm being to religious.

Anyways there is simply too much evidence that says the Earth is far older than "man + 5 days (24 hour days)."

Hey folks, no personal attacks and no religion. Keep it strictly a scienctific discussion and we can continue.

I apologize Ivan, and I apologize to flippy as well. It's just that I simply can't stand to see unsupported claims (saying something is true, because you read it in a story book counts as unsupported.) There is also a logical hole in the story. If the dinosaurs perished in the flood, and people were around during the flood (Noah included of course,) why are there no accounts of these dinosaurs? And how can you explain the distinct stratification of the dinosaur bones through the distinct periods of time (triassic, jurassic, cretaceous, etc)? If the dinosaurs were wiped out in a flood, they would all be excavated from the same geological layer of the earth, but they are not. Explain this, and maybe we can begin to talk.

Thanks. :smile:

flippy said:
Well this is cool: I believe there is a biblical commentary which states that during the time of Noah and the flood there were in fact dinosaur-like animals. The flood waters contained sulfur and when these speicies perished in the flood, the sulphur aged their bones quite a few years. Hey, it works.

In the time of Noah?? Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt humans appear a few thousand years AFTER dinosaurs? Unless these dinosaur like creatures are crocodiles.

Creationist or scientologist maybe just crazy, oh my has it come to this. Then again I am probably no tthe best example :/

Theres a concrete source, I was being brief and maybe a little ambiguous. Ill find it out. I just thought it was an interesting insight that people may not have thought of. Ill get back to y'all.

Flippy, sulfer may (and I emphasise may, since I have no idea)age bones in the sense that it would eat away at the material their made of, but old bones aren't dated that way. There are certain atoms which are unstable and very slowly, begin to decay over time. By testing how many of these atoms are left in certain materials, based on how many there would be if the materials were new, one can tell (roughly) how old a fossil is.

I'll bet that your source won't provide any information saying that sulfer actually increases the rate of decay of these molecules, and was purposely made to be misleading just to get people who don't know everything about how bones are dated to buy into creationist beliefs. It's no fault on your part, you just bought into what was likely a purposefully and professionally constructed attempt to mislead people and make them believe something without knowing the whole story.

1. How can water age something for millions of years?

Water can age something for millions of years through a process called erosion. Over time, water can wear away at rocks and other materials, changing their appearance and structure. This gradual process can give the illusion that the object has been around for millions of years.

2. What factors contribute to the aging process of water?

The aging process of water is influenced by various factors such as temperature, pH level, and exposure to sunlight. These factors can cause chemical reactions and physical changes that can alter the appearance and properties of water.

3. Can water age different materials at different rates?

Yes, the aging process of water can vary depending on the material it comes in contact with. For example, water may erode softer materials such as sandstone at a faster rate compared to harder materials like granite.

4. Does the source of water have an impact on its aging abilities?

The source of water can play a role in its aging abilities. For example, water from a river or stream may contain more sediments and minerals, making it more abrasive and capable of aging materials quicker than purified or distilled water.

5. Is it possible for water to reverse the aging process?

No, water cannot reverse the aging process. However, it can contribute to the preservation of materials by depositing minerals and nutrients that can prevent further aging or deterioration.