Burnt Food Lovers Unite: Charcoal Eaters Share Their Favorites

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary: Charbroiled, which inevitably means "lightly burned", is an old selling point for......charcoal grilling. It gives the food a nice, crispy crust. It's usually not done very well though, since the charcoal is too hot and chars the food too much. I always liked to burn my marshmallows when roasting them by the camp fire. A nice piece of burnt beef fat is a rare treat when BBQing steaks. I've always liked buttered, burnt toast. Burnt chicken skin is quite tasty. And I love eating little burnt pieces of onion that fall on the pan when making nachos. I know it's bad, but it's sooooo good!
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Who are the charcoal eaters here? I always liked to burn my marshmallows when roasting them by the camp fire. A nice piece of burnt beef fat is a rare treat when BBQing steaks. I've always liked buttered, burnt toast. Burnt chicken skin is quite tasty. And I love eating little burnt pieces of onion that fall on the pan when making nachos. I know it's bad, but it's sooooo good!

http://www.dreier.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/burning-marshmallow-04.jpg [Broken]

I had nachos earlier and saw those tasty burnt onions lying in the pan. Mmmmmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought, burned beef fat.

O.

M.

G.

Oh and the burned rice at the bottom of the pan...wow. Better than crackers.

Depends on the food, but yes, a bit crispy burnt food is quite fine and often desired.

I have a chicken rub that when I used when grilling chicken, the burnt skin is awesome.

Turning the food into charcoal though is not good, but singed, burnt and crispy is.

Bacon.

Ivan Seeking said:
And I love eating little burnt pieces of onion that fall on the pan when making nachos. I know it's bad, but it's sooooo good! I had nachos earlier and saw those tasty burnt onions lying in the pan. Mmmmmmmm.
Burnt onions in nachos?

Onions in nachos?

:bugeye: :tongue2:

Burnt cheese is the best.

where are you taste-buds?

I remember my 4th birthday very vividly. My mother baked a pineapple upside down cake. She was quite proud of it and showed it to me in the afternoon. There were two slices of canned pineapple on a rectangular cake and they were caramelized. Well, let's face it, you can't fool a little kid, they were burnt. I asked my mother if I don't eat the cake can I still be 4 years old. She always was a liberal. With regret she said yes. But she was wrong. I am still that 3 year old kid.

Bacon is better burnt! :)

Pattonias said:
Burnt cheese is the best.

Burnt cheese is at the heart of a proper nacho. I don't know the chemistry but you don't just melt the cheese. You have to heat it until it starts to brown, at which point there is a distinct change in the flavor that is then distinctly nacho. And while I can appreaciate a piece of burnt cheese as much as the next person, for a nacho, you don't want to cook it until the oils are gone - just until they are released. .

Onions on nachos? Of course! Some fall off and burn in the pan, which I eat later. :biggrin:

Nacho nacho man
I've got to be, a nacho man...

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Burnt cheese is at the heart of a proper nacho. I don't know the chemistry but you don't just melt the cheese. You have to heat it until it starts to brown, at which point there is a distinct change in the flavor that is then distinctly nacho.

Onions on nachos? Of course! Some fall off and burn in the pan, which I eat later. :biggrin:

Nacho nacho man
I've got to be, a nacho man...

I know what I'm eating for lunch.

Pattonias said:
I know what I'm eating for lunch.

Try using an extra-sharp white cheddar aged at least two years. Mmmmmmmmm, absolutely killer! Thrown on some garlic, onion, oregano, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt to taste.

I've been perfecting them for over twenty years now.

For me, topping with tabasco causes yet another distinct change in the flavor [another reaction of some kind, I assume due to the vinegar] that makes it just perfect.

When I was a kid, we used to picnic with some neighbors, and they ALWAYS brought strips of salt pork. We'd spear them on sharpened sticks (like hot-dogs) and hold them in the fire until they started to blacken. Mmm!

I like hot-dogs burnt (only if they are grilled on a fire though).

I do like roasted peppers or eggplant that taste best when the skin has been charcoaled, but the burnt skin is taken off before eating.

I like some things darkly browned, but not burned.

When I order crepes suzette I always ask them to hold the flambe, don't make them so thin, and use maple syrup instead of liqueur.

jimmy snyder said:
when i order crepes suzette i always ask them to hold the flambe, don't make them so thin, and use maple syrup instead of liqueur.
lol!

Reminds me of the recipe for baklava that only contained phyllo, breakfast sausage and scrambled eggs.

Ah yes, and burnt popcorn! I do like a few pieces of burnt popcorn from time to time. Burnt hot dogs worked for me as well. They all came out mostly black when we'd cook over an open flame when backpacking. That was SOP!

"Char Broiled", which inevitably means "lightly burned", is an old selling point for burgers.

For some reason I think that those hamburgers you find at high school charity events are really tasty. The ones where they're made dozens at a time and always end up every so slightly burnt. I don't know why but the very slightly burnt taste is kind of good in my opinion.

I also like to just let my marshmallows light on fire because: 1.) looks cool and 2.) it's easy to scrape them off the stick

Ivan Seeking said:
"Char Broiled"

Someone said my name?

LOVE burnt popcorn, charred marshmallows, babaganoush (charred eggplant), charred beef fat drool

Slightly burnt toast is ok, other than that, I don't know how people can eat hockey pucks or burnt chicken off of the grill.

1. What is the premise of "Burnt Food Lovers Unite: Charcoal Eaters Share Their Favorites"?

The book is a collection of recipes and stories from people who enjoy eating burnt or charred food, showcasing the unique flavors and textures that come from cooking with fire.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is geared towards food lovers and BBQ enthusiasts who are interested in exploring the rich and complex flavors that come from cooking with fire.

3. Are all the recipes in the book safe to eat?

Yes, all the recipes have been thoroughly tested and are safe to eat. The book also includes tips on how to properly cook and handle food over a fire to ensure safety.

4. Can I use a regular grill to make the recipes in the book?

Yes, the recipes can be made using a regular grill, but some may also require a charcoal or wood-fired grill for the best results.

5. Is there a variety of recipes in the book or are they all similar?

There is a wide range of recipes in the book, including meats, seafood, vegetables, and even desserts. Each recipe offers a unique twist on traditional dishes by incorporating charred flavors.

Back