Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who likes crawfish?

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great idea...a night of Zydeco and crawfish sounds like a blast!

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, they grow in the drainage ditches here! Along with leeches.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. Jul 16, 2009 #4
    While it looks like a fun party event, I'll make sure to grab a burger before I go. I do however, want one of those nifty crawfish hats!

6. Jul 16, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, yum, crawfish! *drools* Better give me a bib. :biggrin:

7. Jul 16, 2009 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are those freshwater crawfish or saltwater crayfish?

In Australia we used to get saltwater crayfish which are about the size of lobsters in the US. Took me a while to understand that Australian crayfish and US (crayfish) crawfish were different critters.

8. Jul 16, 2009 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think I have ever had the salt water kind. We used to catch them in creeks. What makes 'em so good is the spicy broth they boil them in. They boil them with potatoes and corn, and the spice soaks in, and it's so delicious.

9. Jul 16, 2009 #8
    Never had them myself, and I doubt I would like them. I don't like crab or lobster or shrimp. Crustaceans are the reason I avoid seafood.

Besides that I like crawfish just fine. When I was a kid I remember looking for them in the winter, frozen in pools in the swamp near the lake that I lived by. It was always an adventure running through the swamp that time of year knowing that it would be impassible a few months later. I love crawfish for that.

10. Jul 16, 2009 #9

Evo

Wow, I've never known anyone that will eat crawfish and not other crustaceans. Why will you eat these crustaceans and not others? I have several friends that won't eat crustaceans, including crawfish.

11. Jul 17, 2009 #10
    I think you misunderstood, Evo. Huckleberry speculated that they would dislike crawfish as much as other crustaceans as food but otherwise likes them because they do something to a swamp that makes the swamp impassable. Or something. But the "like" has to do with their physicality and presence and nothing at all to do with being food. :smile:

Now. Sisterhood seafood party. Are you supplying the bibs, Moonbear?

12. Jul 17, 2009 #11
    No, no, yuck:yuck:

I don't eat them, though I've never actually tried crawfish. I just like them for the memories. The only time I eat crustaceans is to avoid upsetting someone who offers them to me. Sometimes its easier to just eat it than to explain how I don't like them and deal with all the questions that come after that.

Shrimp that are breaded and heavily sauced aren't too bad. I'd still rather just eat the bread and sauce though.

13. Jul 17, 2009 #12
    That looks like fun. I've never had crawfish.
    Alas I am not in the sisterhood. :-/

14. Jul 17, 2009 #13

Evo

Ah, I thought that by looking for them it was to eat. Oh well, their goes that thought that perhaps other crustacaen haters might like crawdads. :(

15. Jul 17, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Crawfish ain't seafood. They're mud-bugs. Good though. When I was banging around east Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, I was like a kid in a candy store. Whenever I'd see a ratty-looking diner with a parking-lot full of pickup trucks, I'd mark it as good prospect for my next meal.

16. Jul 17, 2009 #15
    They are crayfish. I was an adult before I ever heard anyone mispronounce them crawfish.

17. Jul 17, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

In some parts of the South, they are "crawdads".

18. Jul 17, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Crawfish?!?!?! What is the world coming to? No self-respecting Long Beach native would eat anything but grunion.

19. Jul 17, 2009 #18
    It's not a mispronunciation they are legitimately spelled crawfish AND crayfish. If you don't like it take it up with the dictionary. Also see adaption and adaptation.

20. Jul 17, 2009 #19
    Mispronounce I say and mispronounce it is. I'm talking about those crustaceans that you find swimming in the crick. When I hear crawfish, I figure it's someone from Great Britain or some other place where they don't speak good English.

21. Jul 17, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Tomah-toes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook